RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2011, 11:42 PM   #15

Do the sway bars interfere or limit leveling the coach?

I only have the air bag leveling system, and was worried if I installed sway bars it would keep it from leveling.

Thanks,

Cory P.

CoryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2011, 04:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
Bob - We are glad you are as happy with the Sway bars as we are. Also...please say "Hello" to Wayne for SacsTC (Ron) and I. We were supposed to meet up with him in QZ but we could not make it due to the MIL situation. Please tell him that I will fix him the "Signature Salmon Dinner" when we do meet up with him though!
SacsTC really likes Wayne and I am sure you will see why when you meet him too!

Ohhh-Sacs said to let him know he can toss out the "old parts" he put up on a shelf for us ...THEY ARE NOT going back onto our coach!!

MM, we ordered our bars from jim@source yesterday and he told me that sacs got so fast at changing shocks it was like a pitstop at a nascar race and boy oh! boy was the salmon good jim

beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryP View Post
Do the sway bars interfere or limit leveling the coach?

I only have the air bag leveling system, and was worried if I installed sway bars it would keep it from leveling.

Thanks,

Cory P.
Cory,

We have the Roadmaster RR8R chassis which has 8 air bags and 8 shocks. The sway bars in no way interfere with the leveling of the coach. I don't think it would matter that you have the air bag leveling system. The principal is the same, you just don't have to put down jacks and have a system that can place air in individual bags to level the coach body while the wheels and axle remain stationary. I understand that Scott at Source Engineering knows the Roadmaster chassis and worked for Monaco. I would call him to make sure.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Is there any sway bars on the RR8R Monaco chassis? I have a 2011 Cayman on the RR8R. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #19
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Guys with air leveling, check where the auxiliary compressor is mounted. It may have to be moved to install the sway bar from what I saw on the Roadmaster site. I have air leveling that I installed myself. Monaco put the compressor toward the passenger side and behind the front axle. Could also be put inside a basement compartment with a little work.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #20

Thanks for the info.. I have a 2000 Windsor on a RR8S chassis (side radiator). I'm putting some Koni FSD's on and then might do the sway bars.

Thanks again,

Cory
CoryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryP View Post
Thanks for the info.. I have a 2000 Windsor on a RR8S chassis (side radiator). I'm putting some Koni FSD's on and then might do the sway bars.

Thanks again,

Cory
I have the RR8R... Mine if I ask what your paying? I had Koni's put on my 03 Gasser and LOVED them.. On this rig I am happy with the ride but I know eventually I will need shocks and Tires. My tires are Double Coins (they were on there when I bought the coach) and I wonder if sometimes they give me a harsher ride then "Normal" tires....

Oops sorry for getting off the subject

2017 Silverado Z-71 Pulling 2017.5 Lance 1985
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #22
JDT

Bob, did you have both the front and rear anti sway bars put on your coach? I am assuming you did since you say bars (plural). I have been thinking about it, especially after a trip to Hot Springs, Ark last week on a very winding road that really made the sway show up and caused a little nausea for the wife. I added a Safe-T-Plus and 8 Koni FSD's 2 years ago and new tires last year and hate to think what the trip would have been like without them. I got a good improvement on the drive and ride especially on straight roads but I still think there is too much body lean on curves and I do feel the trucks go by. I talked to someone at Roadmaster and was told the rear anti-sway bar would take care of about 75% of the driving improvement and suggested I do it first and then the front later if I still am not totally satisfied. That's why I'm asking if you had both done.

I was told Source is the only place I can order them from as Roadmaster does not sell direct. Didn't know that.

I think the RR8R is a great chassis and it weighed heavily in decision to by the Ambassador. Monaco started putting it under the Ambassadors and Knights in 05. I just wish they had put all this stuff on it to begin with.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Have some additional info for Nodine and others pondering putting the Roadmaster front and rear sway bars on. Just had them both put on yesterday at Camping World in Mission, TX (Wintering here). Wow---couldn't believe the drive difference just coming back to the RV park. Body roll is basically gone, and hardly notice the big rigs going by now. The feel was totally different and much more confident. I suggest getting them both done sooner than later. I am starting the steps suggested by others here to improve the ride and handling. Ride Heighth check, weighing, tire pressure adjustment, new tires, front alignment, roadmaster steering stabilizer, and steer-safe are completed. New shocks and possible true trac bar to go later. The Sway bars were done before my shocks are to be replaced next week with the new Bilsteins, so I have the original Monroes on this 2002 Monaco Diplomat to compare just this change with. It was unbelievable as stated above. I feel the same as others---even the smaller stock anti-sway bars front and rear in the RR8R chassis would have made a big improvement on the ride when they came out of the factory. Highly recommend the Roadmaster anti-sway bars front and rear even thou they are expensive.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Do the new RR8R Monaco chassis come with sway bars? deSanford
Old 03-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #25
JDT

Well, bit the bullet hard and ordered both the front and rear anti-sway bars for our coach. What pushed me over to doing both was several things, including the safety factor as the wife loves to drive it, long term factor as we now plan to keep this coach as long as it meets our needs and the testimonials of others here. Last of all I hadn't spent quite enough money on the motorhome this month to help keep the rv economy flowing. I sure hope I get the same results.

I plan on doing the install myself. I do all my own maintenance anyway and look forward to the challenge. We'll be heading to Branson (200 miles from here) in the first week of April and I hope to have them here and installed by then. Will give my report after the trip.

deSanford, sorry, I can't answer your question, but my guess is no.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Jim.........I called Camping World and they checked their Roadmaster catalog and found units for up to 2009. They will check Monday with Roadmaster and see if they have anything (sway bars) for the new Monaco Cayman. I really enjoyed my IPD sway bars on my old Rockwood. I also had the large blue "steer safe" on the Rockwood's Gillig chassis. Will see if I can install that also on the Monaco Cayman 2011. deSanford
Old 03-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Is there any sway bars on the RR8R Monaco chassis? I have a 2011 Cayman on the RR8R. deSanford
Sorry guys for being slow to respond. I have been on a business trip and just got time to log back in here.

No, the RR8R does not have any sway bars from the factory. That is why you will notice a significant improvement.

Bob
Old 03-26-2011, 04:49 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
I have the RR8R... Mine if I ask what your paying? I had Koni's put on my 03 Gasser and LOVED them.. On this rig I am happy with the ride but I know eventually I will need shocks and Tires. My tires are Double Coins (they were on there when I bought the coach) and I wonder if sometimes they give me a harsher ride then "Normal" tires....

Oops sorry for getting off the subject
Lee,

Expect to pay about $2000 for both front and rear bars and then you will either need to install them yourself or pay to have that done.

Bob

Tags
kz-rv