RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2011, 03:26 AM   #57

dc cruiser, sacstc/monaco mama may chime in as they have the whole kit installed. jim

beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
dennis46c....Roadmaster won't sell the 1169-110 to you. It has to be purchased through Source or one of it's dealers.
ROADMASTERTOWBARS.com (I believe it is actually roadmaster-tow-bars.com, their site displays it without the hyphen) is a dealer and the prices I listed were after I put them (including 1169-110) in my cart, although I didn't purchase since I don't have the money right now. I've purchased a number of items including a tow bar from this company in the past without any problems. Check them out, maybe I'm wrong.

dennis46c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #59
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis46c View Post
ROADMASTERTOWBARS.com (I believe it is actually roadmaster-tow-bars.com, their site displays it without the hyphen) is a dealer and the prices I listed were after I put them (including 1169-110) in my cart, although I didn't purchase since I don't have the money right now. I've purchased a number of items including a tow bar from this company in the past without any problems. Check them out, maybe I'm wrong.
MESSAGE FROM SOURCE ENGINEERING
By: Jim Walls
541-935-0308
jim.w.nascar@gmail.com

"There is a lot of talk about our sway bars. It should be made clear that we are now the only company that can provide them. We made some small changes to them so that they will fit more coaches. Roadmaster now makes them exclusively for us, including our Trailing Arms. I hope this will clear up any confusion."
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
MESSAGE FROM SOURCE ENGINEERING
By: Jim Walls
541-935-0308
jim.w.nascar@gmail.com

"There is a lot of talk about our sway bars. It should be made clear that we are now the only company that can provide them. We made some small changes to them so that they will fit more coaches. Roadmaster now makes them exclusively for us, including our Trailing Arms. I hope this will clear up any confusion."
Sorry for the problem, the retailer I mentioned does appear to sell the 1169-110 at the price I mentioned so if I were to buy that item number and not the entire kit, I would probably give them a call to confirm they can't sell it instead of relying on a different vendor telling us they have an exclusive. They mention they made small changes so may the vendor is telling us only they can sell the new and improved. Again, I won't reply again becasue I was just replying about pricing on part number 1169-109 and 1169-110 that was mentioned by DiplomatDon. I don't believe either of the sources mentioned are dealers of Source Engineering (per their website) but they were apparently quoting prices.
dennis46c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #61

venting generator exhaust to top of coach

I am planning on going to a place which requires generators to be vented to the top of their coach. I am guessing it is so you don't gas your neighbours while running the genny. How do you do that and still make it look decent??Is that a commmon request among other campsites, I have not heard of this before..can anyone please explain??

Thx Ted
Old 04-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis46c View Post
Sorry for the problem, the retailer I mentioned does appear to sell the 1169-110 at the price I mentioned so if I were to buy that item number and not the entire kit, I would probably give them a call to confirm they can't sell it instead of relying on a different vendor telling us they have an exclusive. They mention they made small changes so may the vendor is telling us only they can sell the new and improved. Again, I won't reply again becasue I was just replying about pricing on part number 1169-109 and 1169-110 that was mentioned by DiplomatDon. I don't believe either of the sources mentioned are dealers of Source Engineering (per their website) but they were apparently quoting prices.
Wayne from Roadmaster told me at the Perry FMCA rally that he plans to sell the sway bars through Source.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDE View Post
I am planning on going to a place which requires generators to be vented to the top of their coach. I am guessing it is so you don't gas your neighbours while running the genny. How do you do that and still make it look decent??Is that a commmon request among other campsites, I have not heard of this before..can anyone please explain??

Thx Ted
This is what you are looking for:
CAMCO Gen-turi™ Air-Cooled Venturi Generator Exhaust System #44461 - Eastern Marine Outlet

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
So I have contacted Jim & Scott from Source to see if there kit will fit my 03 Windsor & after taking some basic frame rail measurements and looking at their installation instructions they have come to the conclusion that their present kit will not fit my style of frame. The problem is apparently that the frame used in the Windsor and upper models is of a C channel configuration as well as being wider than that of the Diplomat. So initially it looked like I was going to be limited to replacing my worn out Monroe shocks to try & improve the ride & handling. Well this afternoon I received an email from Jim requesting that I call him. Upon calling him he told me he had an offer for me which basically would use my motorhome as a research vehicle to help them develop a kit that would fit the Windsor and other models that used this style frame.
So I have an appointment on May 16 at the RoadMaster factory facility in Vancouver, Washington for the engineers to design & develop and test a sway bar kit. Also Jim has arranged for Bilstein to have their engineers there with some prototype 60mm shocks that they want to test also for fit with their Ride Enhancement Kit. It also sounds like Scott from Source will be present also to oversee the whole process to make sure everything will work up to his standards.
Jim told me it should take 2-3 days for them to do the complete install and testing. He said the Bilsein engineers will first drive my MH on a predetermined route so as establish a base feel to work from and then will install their shocks and test & retest until they FEEL comfortable with the ride improvement and then the sway bars will be installed and retested on the same route.
The Source guys (Jim & Scott) both sound very knowledgeable about the RR8R chassis and I am really looking forward to being involved in this process which should result in the improvement in the ride and handling of our coaches.
I must state at this time that I am not connected with Source or RoadMaster in any way and am just a semi-retired RVer looking to improve my coach and possibly along the way help some of you do the same.
CHEERS
Will keep everyone posted as we progress with this.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #65
JDT

DCCruiser, good for you. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you. I am very impressed with the results on our coach and wondered why they had a limited application for the Monaco line. I just assumed any ride enhancement must not be needed the further up the Monaco line up you go.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Yes you would think that they would have put sway bars on and some decent shocks but I don't believe even on the top end models they did so. As far as Source not developing it for these models I think it is a matter of time and the availability of coach to be able to do the development and testing. I willl be able to give it a good test run as I live about a 1000 miles from Vancouver WA so the trip down will be with great anticipation as to the different feel on the trip back. The route will have everything from Interstates to 2 lane mountain passes so it will be a good test report when we get back home.

Cheers
Old 04-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #67
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Got my sway bars today.....will install tomorrow. We leave for the Grand Canyon on Monday and should be a good test.

Install looks pretty simple. Drilling four holes in the frame looks like the only difficult part. Luckily, there is nothing in the way and you drill upward.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #68
JDT

Don, the rear was a little harder than I thought it would be. Front was a piece of cake comparitively speaking. Be sure you have a good, sharp drill bit as the frame is pretty thick. I had a hard time getting the clamp that mounts to the bottom of the frame to hold in place so I could get the nuts started. Finally got a woodworking clamp with a squeeze handle to hold it. There were several wiring harnesses that got in the way, especially on the passenger side. It took some effort to get them to move enough to mount the brackets.

Good luck and allow yourself more time than you might think.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
So how is the install going Don??? Hope its going well!! Let us know once you get it all done and have taken it around the block!!

Cheers
Old 04-23-2011, 12:48 AM   #70
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Got it done this afternoon. It took three hours, but probably could have been done in two if I had done one before. The front was a snap. Two of the four axle bolts on each side have to be removed. Someone said they had a hard time breaking the bolts loose. I used my 1/2" air gun and had my 3/4" ready, but the 1/2" gun spun them right off. There are two plates that have to go over the upper frame. I found it was easier to just sit up in the opening in front of the air tank and installed the plates. You have to feed one of the bolts through a bundled wire loom.

The rear was a little tougher. I bought a brand new 7/16" pilot tipped bit (odd size) to drill the four holes. Luckily it's a straight shot and the drilling went okay with lots of lubing. Once I was done drilling, I had to clean all of the metal filings out with an air hose. They were everywhere, chest, arm pits, hair and mustache. I did the drilling while laying on my back and had a bath towel pulled up to my safety glasses, but there was a lot of metal flying. As DC Cruiser stated, the frame is pretty thick.

The sway bar is very heavy and I had to feed it behind a large wire loom on the driver's side and a smaller loom on the passenger side. The large loom on the driver side had a metal support that had to be removed and discarded. Once that was done, the rest was pretty simple. Everything bolted together. I lowered the coach off of the levelers to ride height, made a final adjustment on the rear shackles and tightened everything.

If you do this yourself.....make sure you wear an old long sleeve shirt.....it's greasy under there from the driveshaft.

The test drive was only 6 miles to get fuel. The coach hardly leans at all in turns. Previously on a sweeping right turn, I would brace my left arm against the driver's window frame. No need to brace myself anymore. It was a weird sensation on the short freeway blast to the fuel station. It's like someone took an older vehicle and and rebuilt the suspension. Everything was firmer.

We leave Monday for a 500 mile trip to the Grand Canyon and I'm sure will hit some winds and other conditions. We'll see how it does.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv