RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #71

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don
The test drive was only 6 miles to get fuel. The coach hardly leans at all in turns. Previously on a sweeping right turn, I would brace my left arm against the driver's window frame. No need to brace myself anymore. It was a weird sensation on the short freeway blast to the fuel station. It's like someone took an older vehicle and and rebuilt the suspension. Everything was firmer.
Now do you believe me??? SacsTC doesn't give anything a plus if it is just okay. I am sure you will be more impressed next week when you take your longer "test drive"!
Have a great trip and enjoy the Canyon.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
Welllll Don how was your trip to the Grand Canyon?? and how did the REK work for you??? I am on my trip down to Van Wash for my appointment with the RoadMaster factory next Mon. I am really paying attention as to the handling quirks so that I will be able to a good comparison report. Man there are times that the handling is just down right brutal!!!!

Cheers

Old 05-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #73
JDT

DC, the two main things I noticed is the improved ride and handling, of course the most obvious. Even with the Koni's I still got a good, hard jolt on the bigger bumps. This was a major improvement over the old Monroes as I got jolted on any bump of any size. With the anti-sway bar the jolt and harsh response to a bump is gone. I still know I went over it but it is a softer, car like response.

Handling wise, my coach was not too bad with the Konis and Safe-T-Plus, or so I thought. I guess I was used to the constant, small corrections in steering the coach. Also, I had gotten used to having to keep my eyes on the road (not a bad thing) because if I took them off to check a gauge or something for just a second knew I would be headed to one side of the road or other when I looked up again. It was amazing how quickly it get could off course. I knew I had hit a home run when I looked down at my VMSpc and was still going straight down the road when I looked up again. Doesn't seem like much but, man, what a difference it makes. I think my drivers fatigue will be greatly reduced. Really couldn't gauge that much on our recent 500 mile round trip. Can't wait for our 2K mile trip coming up in July.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
DC, the two main things I noticed is the improved ride and handling, of course the most obvious. Even with the Koni's I still got a good, hard jolt on the bigger bumps. This was a major improvement over the old Monroes as I got jolted on any bump of any size. With the anti-sway bar the jolt and harsh response to a bump is gone. I still know I went over it but it is a softer, car like response.

Handling wise, my coach was not too bad with the Konis and Safe-T-Plus, or so I thought. I guess I was used to the constant, small corrections in steering the coach. Also, I had gotten used to having to keep my eyes on the road (not a bad thing) because if I took them off to check a gauge or something for just a second knew I would be headed to one side of the road or other when I looked up again. It was amazing how quickly it get could off course. I knew I had hit a home run when I looked down at my VMSpc and was still going straight down the road when I looked up again. Doesn't seem like much but, man, what a difference it makes. I think my drivers fatigue will be greatly reduced. Really couldn't gauge that much on our recent 500 mile round trip. Can't wait for our 2K mile trip coming up in July.
Jim,

Bob here, the originator of this thread. I see you are having the same experience I had. I contemplated the installation of the sway bars for almost a year before following through. I could not find anyone who had tried them and a few of the long time owners of Monacos on the yahoo group did not think they would help. My main objective was not to reduce sway, but to improve the handling in gusty winds. My thoughts were that the air bag system is under-damped (an engineering term) and could not respond fast enough to be effective. Not only did the sway bars improve the handling during windy conditions but significantly improved the ride. At first I thought the ride improvement was my imagination, but after a long trip I was convinced that improved ride is another benefit of the sway bars.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #75
JDT

Bob, you might want to see if Source will give you a commission because I bought the bars due to your post. I had written off the ride enhancement kit as I could not see replacing the Koni's and Safe-T-Plus because the cost of those items was a bunch. You made me aware that I did not have to buy the whole kit and could buy the bars separately. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

When I was talking to Wayne at Roadmaster, he said the bars were developed to help the coach handle better and the ride improvement was an added benefit.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:05 AM   #76
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My findings after a 1000 mile round trip to the Grand Canyon.

CORNERING- The coach will easily handle corners an additional 10 mph faster. Even though it does, there is a point where things start coming out of the cabinets because you have a big box that isn't leaning and there is a fair amount of energy being developed in a turn.

LOW SPPEED- I expected a little more control coming out of driveways at low speed where the coach rocks violently from side to side. I didn't see much change.

PASSING TRUCKS- Most, but not all passing trucks would give me a fair push depending on speed and the distance between our vehicles. The sway bars helped susbstantially. There was still an occasional nudge with some vehicles, but I payed particular attention to this and there was about a 90% improvement.

WINDS- Since we traversed the desert on this trip, we had some wind from various directions. Luckily, we had a tail wind on the way out, but had some pretty good diagonal winds on the way back. I still had to hold the wheel to steer against the wind, but it wasn't a constant steering and various degrees of wind did not cause me to keep having to correct my steering. I think if I had a Tru-Center steering stabilizer installed and could set it for the wind push, I could have steered the coach with one finger.

Strong/sudden wind gusts did not cause a surprising lane change.

RIDE - I was looking primarily for an improved front end ride with the added benefits of handling. As described, some of the pothoules and lane variations were absorbed better by the coach. California has horrendous roads and we hit lots of rough patches. I did find it strange that some of the bumps I expected to feel, I didn't and yet some I didn't expect to feel were pretty noticeable. I can't explain this!

OVERALL SUSPENSION- The coach felt tighter overall. I guess the best example would be the subtle difference between a brand new vehicle and the same vehicle with 40000 miles.

COST- I've done a lot of upgrades to my coach ranging from $100.00 to some in the $1300.00 - $1500.00 range. This was quit a bit more and I was pensive about spending this money.

My honest opinion, some drivers will drive an ill handling coach for years and either they may not know it's bad or care. Other drivers will notice ever change in handling and will do what they can to improve it. The sway bars are a nice improvement, but I think they're about $250.00 - $300.00 overpriced, per unit, for the improvement they provide. For someone who has to pay for installation, they're easily going to pay $2400.00 +.

I don't regret the installation and the cost of theh sway bars, but for those who see this as a huge outlay of cash, I hope my post helps in their decison in one way or the other.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:16 AM   #77

don, your findings were on track with mine with exception to the low speed handling. the first thing out of dw's mouth when leaving the install facility was wow! no more elephant walk. and you are right about the wind push, we have the howard system and it does make an improvement in that area.
it was a bit pricey but very happy we did it jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
July

My new 2011 Monaco Cayman is going to go to the Roadmaster factory in Vancouver, Washington for sway bar installation. My coach will be used like DC Cruisers as a test coach. I'm VERY EXCITED to have these bars installed as I already know the difference they will provide in handling etc. I installed the IPD sway bar on my previous motorhome and that made a HUGE difference in handling as I previously mentioned. So after the Good Sam Rally in Redmond, OR. our coach is heading North to Roadmaster. My thanks to John Hurd at Monaco and Wayne at Roadmaster. Will also give a full report after installation this coming July.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:35 AM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjim View Post
don, your findings were on track with mine with exception to the low speed handling. the first thing out of dw's mouth when leaving the install facility was wow! no more elephant walk. and you are right about the wind push, we have the howard system and it does make an improvement in that area.
it was a bit pricey but very happy we did it jim
Elephant walk LOL Thats a good way of describing it & believe it our not that is one of the worst things that I dislike about my suspension. I just hate it when one is traveling sooooooo slow that the coach would get into such violent side to side convulsions. I sure hope that is fixed on mine. Sure am looking forward to my Monday appointment.

Cheers
Old 05-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Anyone have any recommendations for a steering stabilizer? I had the LARGE blue one by "SAFE -T- PLUS" on my old Gillig Rockwood chassis. deSanford
Old 05-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #81
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for a steering stabilizer? I had the LARGE blue one by "SAFE -T- PLUS" on my old Gillig Rockwood chassis. deSanford
deSanford, It just works. Option would be a Blue Ox Tru-Center.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #82

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you DriVer.........I will look for some information on the Blue Ox Tru-Center. I use their tow bar and it is a good item. deSanford
Old 05-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Thank you DriVer.........I will look for some information on the Blue Ox Tru-Center. I use their tow bar and it is a good item. deSanford
deSanford,

You can check out photos complete with notes of our TruCenter install here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/nodine/TruCenterInstall#

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #84
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Darn you Bob.....I really want a TruCenter after our last trip. I figred it wouldn't work because of the addition of the sway bars, but I see it goes under the axle and uses the front two bolts. The sway bar uses the two inside bolts and goes on top of the axle mount.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv