RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #99

Monaco Owners Club
DC Cruiser,

Glad you are having the same experience we are. Every time I drive the coach now I am amazed at how relaxing it is.

Bob

nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #100

Monaco Owners Club
You are exactly spot on as far as the relaxing drive part!!!! It is now fun to drive!!! We had a fairly stiff cross wind driving up the middle of Washington & for the most part it was a one hand drive. Could also take my eyes off the road for a bit without the fear of lane swapping or heading for the ditch.

Cheers

Old 05-31-2011, 06:51 PM   #101

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Jim,

The sway bars are made by Roadmaster and included in the Source ride enhancement kit. I purchased only the sway bars directly from Roadmaster. The price is about $950 each plus shipping and installation.

Bob
I have a 2008 Diplomat. I would appreciate if you would sent me the part number for the front and rear sway bar that you used on your unit. I know the front has no sway bar but I have been told that the rear comes from the factory with some type of sway bar. Do you know if this is correct? Thanks.
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:21 AM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorr1821 View Post
I have a 2008 Diplomat. I would appreciate if you would sent me the part number for the front and rear sway bar that you used on your unit. I know the front has no sway bar but I have been told that the rear comes from the factory with some type of sway bar. Do you know if this is correct? Thanks.
Not sure what your name is so I will call you rorr.

Rorr,

There are no sway bars installed from the factory. There is an arm that ties the box frame holding the air bags and axle to the frame but that is not a sway bar. Your best bet to make sure you get the correct parts would be to call Source Engineering and tell them the model and year of your coach. Roadmaster is selling the sway bars through source. Here is a link to their website:
RV-Chassis

Good luck,

Bob
Old 06-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #103

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
For over a year now we have been thinking about trying the Roadmaster sway bars for the RR8R chassis but could not find anyone who had tried them. Finally, Monaco Mama and SacsTc had the ride enhancement kit installed on their Diplomat which included the sway bars from Roadmaster. The problem was the air bags and shocks were changed as part of the kit making it difficult to tell how much the sway bars alone helped. We decided to bite the bullet and have the sway bars installed. We could immediately tell the difference on the 20 mile trip home after the installation but did not want to jump to conclusions until we tried them on a road trip. We left home Saturday morning for the FMCA rally here in Perry and was ecstatic for the entire drive down. The sway bars are expensive but I would gladly spend the money again.

We already have 8 Koni shocks and they made a huge difference and the TruCenter also improved the driving experience. Now after installing the sway bars it is almost like driving a car. Before the sway bars windy conditions called for a lot of steering activity and I could feel the eighteen wheelers as they approached from the rear without even looking in the mirror. Now if I am not looking in the mirror I am surprised to look over and there is a huge truck passing us. Now here is the kicker that I can't explain, the coach seems to take the bumps with less jarring. I can't wait to get back on the road. If it weren't for my bladder maintenance I could drive this thing all day.

The RR8R does not have any sway bars as it comes from Monaco and that is a big mistake. Sway bars should be standard on the RR8R or at least offered as an option. The air bag system cannot respond fast enough to eliminate bump steer from cross winds and passing trucks.

Bob
You have reported that you have installed both Koni shocks and Roadmaster sway bars. If finances caused you to choose between the shocks and sway bars which do you believe provided the best improvement in ride and handling?

I own a 2008 Diplomat 36PDQ with original Monroe shocks which by most accounts are the bottom feeder's for shock brands. In talking to Henderson in OR they claim they have found you get best results on the RR8R chassis by changing the shocks to Koni and adding their motion control devises in the air lines. They make this claim because the air bags are located on the out side of the chassis rails. They also state they install very few sway bars on this particular chassis. If you talk to Source Engineering who is now the exclusive distributor for the Roadmaster Sway bar for the Diplomat they have a different claim. Their proprietary Bilstein Shock and Roadmaster sway bar provides the best results. I look forward to your comments. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #104
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
rorr, I have a 36' Diplomat and the first thing I did was add the Koni's. It's critical to make sure you're ride height is correct. Check the height after the shocks are installed. I know Source specified Blisters for the RR8R chassis, but I don't know if they are designed to work as well if you don't use the rest of their stuff.

The sway bars can be added when your budget allows, but they would not be first on my list, even though I have them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:07 AM   #105

Monaco Owners Club
Rorr from my recent experience with the addition of sway bars on my 03 Windsor we installed the rear sway bar before we put the Bilsteins on the rear and we noticed a big difference in sway control with just the sway bar. We then added the Bilsteins to the rear and again noticed a difference in the ride as well as more stability. We then added the front sway bar and the coach and once again we noticed a significant improvement. It is now a totally different ride & control and I still have not got the Bilsteins installed on the front. As noted in my previous posts it is now a fun drive!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #106

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
You have reported that you have installed both Koni shocks and Roadmaster sway bars. If finances caused you to choose between the shocks and sway bars which do you believe provided the best improvement in ride and handling?

I own a 2008 Diplomat 36PDQ with original Monroe shocks which by most accounts are the bottom feeder's for shock brands. In talking to Henderson in OR they claim they have found you get best results on the RR8R chassis by changing the shocks to Koni and adding their motion control devises in the air lines. They make this claim because the air bags are located on the out side of the chassis rails. They also state they install very few sway bars on this particular chassis. If you talk to Source Engineering who is now the exclusive distributor for the Roadmaster Sway bar for the Diplomat they have a different claim. Their proprietary Bilstein Shock and Roadmaster sway bar provides the best results. I look forward to your comments. Thanks.
If I had to choose between the Koni or the sway bars I would go with the sway bars. I think you will find that the motion contorls will help with sway but not ride.

Bob
Old 06-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #107

I have a 2000 35' Windsor with 50,000 miles. I just had the Koni's installed and it made a big difference in ride. It doesn't porpus like it used to and the side to side bounce is gone when pulling out of driveways. I'm not sure if they would be the same or better than new Bilsteins but my particular installation center didn't recommend them for my particular coach.

I will be adding the sway bars in 3 weeks when Source starts shipping them for my coach, and will report back then.

C.P.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #108

Monaco Owners Club
Today while coming back from a trip to Virgina on I-81 I decided to make a little test. We were on a smooth even and straight section of the interstate with some wind activity. I turned loose of the steering wheel and the Diplomat tracked straight down the road without any wander. I would have never tried that before the sway bars.

Bob
Old 06-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #109

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Yes Jim, we had both the front and rear installed.

Bob

I believe you posted some time ago that you had the Roadmaster Tru Center. Did the sway bars improve the handling of your unit in cross winds beyond what the Tru Center was doing in handling the cross wind situation?
Old 06-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #110

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I believe you posted some time ago that you had the Roadmaster Tru Center. Did the sway bars improve the handling of your unit in cross winds beyond what the Tru Center was doing in handling the cross wind situation?
Rorr,

I have the Blue Ox TruCenter and yes, the sway bars made a huge improvement to both the ride and handling of the coach beyond the improvements gained by the TruCenter. The TruCenter helps but if I could only make one of the mods it would be the sway bars. Every time we take the coach out it amazes me how much the ride was improved by the sway bars. The dreaded bridge expansion joints are a thing of the past with the sway bars.

Bob
Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #111

Monaco Owners Club
Thumbs down

Our coach had a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer on it before we had the RoadMaster sway bars put on and we noticed a huge difference. Because we already had it on I will not be able to compare the difference in improvement between the two but judging from the huge improvement we noticed with the sway bars I would have to say that the biggest improvement would be from the sway bars.

Cheers
Old 06-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #112

Forest River Owners Club
My vote has to be the sway bars first---unbelievable difference in control/anti-sway/wind effects,etc. Improved safety of driving right away. Later had the original Monroes replaced with the new Bilsteins--improvement in ride comfort/bump smoothing/chuck holes/bounce, etc.

Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv