Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #113

Monaco Owners Club
First I would like to say that anyone who has a motorhome and especially a Monaco contact Source for purchasing SWAY BARS. After attending the Good Sam Rally in Redmond, Ore. last month Linda and I went North to Vancouver, Washington for the installation at Roadmaster. Wayne at Roadmaster wanted to check our new Cayman 2011 chassis for the proper bar. Roadmaster had the front one already in stock that would fit, but the rear one had to be designed by Wayne and properly fitted. Wayne is Roadmaster's Master sway bar design engineer. I purchased Koni's (FSD) shocks, and also a Safe-T-Plus steering unit with Henderson's "trimmer". The SWAY BARS are installed and the "old" (5,000 mile) shocks that came with the new motorhome are now replaced with KONI'S. Now I have a motorhome that I look forward to drive. Just like NODINE, DC CRUISER and RADARMAN I feel that a motorhome without Roadmaster sway bars is NOT one that I would like to drive. Heavy winds, trucks zipping by, two lane twisting mountain roads, and freeway on ramps you will really appreciate having sway bars. I learned alot about shocks at the GS Rally....even talked to the Koni rep. The big difference between the Bilstein, Monroe's and the Koni's is that the previous mentioned shocks are 'gas" shocks, and the Koni's operate with fluid and special valving. When I stopped at the Monaco factory in Coburg, Ore. for some factory warranty work the fellow who drove my coach into the repair area said "your coach really handles well". I told him about the Roadmaster sway bars and Koni's that I just had installed and he told the service writer Matt Shear about the difference in handling. Matt asked me about what I had done and said he would have some pictures taken of the new performance items. He wanted the chassis person at Monaco to see the sway bars etc. My wife got tired of me complementing on how great the ride is now all the way back to Signal Hill, Calif. Sorry this is so long, but if this helps any motorhome owner have a safer ride and enjoy the handling a coach of this size it was worth my time. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #114

deSanford, welcome to the club jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #115

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjim View Post
deSanford, welcome to the club jim

ditto,

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #116

Monaco Owners Club
People will not believe the difference until they have driven one that has the sway bars on it. Glad to hear that yours turned out great. I am on a 3 mth road trip with our MH and am enjoying the ride. I am still running with the now 70,000 mile Monroes on the front as my Bilsteins are on BO from the factory. Sure wish I had them as we have had some rough roads. Oh well it still handled really good even with the wore out shocks.
Wayne at RoadMaster is a super guy and sure knows his stuff. He did a great job on mine as well.
Enjoy your new ride.

CHEERS
Old 08-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #117

Based on recommendations 3 years ago I added FSD's to my diplomat. At the time the ride improved significantly. Now 24,000 miles later the coach is porpoising severly, like the shocks are shot. I am considering adding the sway bars as the reports are so very positive. My question, how long to fsd's last and if I do opt for the sway bars, should I replace the shocks?
Old 08-16-2011, 08:53 PM   #118

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgagne View Post
Based on recommendations 3 years ago I added FSD's to my diplomat. At the time the ride improved significantly. Now 24,000 miles later the coach is porpoising severly, like the shocks are shot. I am considering adding the sway bars as the reports are so very positive. My question, how long to fsd's last and if I do opt for the sway bars, should I replace the shocks?
Thats not good considering how much they charge for those shocks. I thought they were supposed to last up to 100k. Have you checked your ride height lately???

CHEERS
Old 08-17-2011, 04:08 AM   #119

tomgagne, i have approx. the same milage on my fsd's they feel the same as new. if i were you i would be contacting koni. i believe they would be under warranty if in fact they are the problem. just a thought!
jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #120
JDT

Just finished our first long trip with the Roadmasters. Not sure if it has ever been done before, but has anyone ever driven I70 from Limon, Co to Salina, Ks without a major cross wind? I haven't. The first year we had our coach we had to finally stop as I just could not control the coach. Added the Safe-T-Plus and Koni FSD's a few years ago and that was a great improvement. But, this year with the Roadmaster bars, I could actually control the coach. Yes, I still felt the buffeting as the south wind was pretty stiff but there was never a lack of control feeling. I still had to drive thru it as it would push me some but nothing, and I mean nothing, like before.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #121

Monaco Owners Club
I believe the Koni's are warranted to the original purchaser for 300,000 miles. deSanford
Old 10-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #122

Monaco Owners Club
Well Jim from Source finally got the valved Bilsteins in and shipped me my set all the way to Mrytle Beach for me as we were staying there for 3 weeks. He also had to fast ship me out some bushings for the bottom mount as the shocks come with a 14mm bushing and the bolt on my 03 Windsor built in Ind is 1/2". The top mounting stud also had to be cleaned up a bit for the new shocks to slide on as the old Monroe's didn't have a metal bushing on the top mount only rubber and some of it had transferred to the stud which a little plumbers emery cloth took care of. Now for the good part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOW
What a difference in the ride and handling of my coach. Its so much better I want to go back and start my trip all over to really enjoy the trip again. It's like night and day differance. Like riding on air. OH thats right we are so thats how it should feel. I can't believe that Monaco doesn't install sway bars and good shocks on these units to begin with. Well i guess thats why there are aftermarket mfg's like RoadMaster and people like Source who listen to their customers needs and respond with a product that works.
Anyways just a quick report as we have been only on the road 2 days and today my AC/Heater blower went south on us so had to spend most of the day replacing that so will be back on the road tomorrow to enjoy my new ride some more.
ITS SO MUCH FUN TO DRIVE NOW

CHEERS
Old 10-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #123

Monaco Owners Club
I had Iron Horse RV in San Antonio install the Shocks, Sway bars etc. about two weeks ago. While there I also had them install the Source cooing fan. We were considering the purchase of a new Entrega however that is not a consideration any longer. I can't articulate the results any better than the previous posters. The fan resulted in a pickup of approx .7 MPG. Great products with great results.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #124

Monaco Owners Club
Just ordered the cooling fan from Scott at Source. Hope to have it installed before we go to Quartzsite. It took about a year to get all the extras I wanted to improve the ride on the Cayman. Now the better half wants to change some items on the inside. One of them will be to replace the "hide-a-bed" with a twin recliner and angle it on the slide out to better view the mid coach 42" TV. Costco had the perfect unit for a very reasonable price.......so it's in the garage waiting to be installed.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #125
YC1

I would love to see a picture of the recliner. I want to replace our little love seat with a dual recliner if possible. Mid section tv here too.

As for the fan. It made a remarkable difference in engine noise, acceleration, and fuel mileage. I did lose some downhill engine braking because of the reduction in fan load. Getting to the fan was a bit of a strain but doable. Had I known how to get both engine covers off my 40SKQ I would have been able to change it in a couple of hours. If you decide to change it yourself I can send you some pictures and descriptions. Or just look for posts from YC 1 and they are already here.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #126

Monaco Owners Club
YC1 the recliner is still in the box in the garage. The price was unbelievable......less then $600.00. Both sides are motorized and actually too comfortable. The bad part I can see now is that I will extend the leg rest then probably fall asleep with the TV on. The coach is in the shop at Penski's Chevrolet RV Service Garage waiting for a Lippert seal on a recall to be installed. I have to design someway to rotate the unit about 10 degrees to face the TV. Then rotate it back before the slide comes in. Not as easy as 1 2 3. Can the fan be changed by removing the "hatch" by the closet in the rear bedroom? Opening my rear engine doors each side of the stacked coolers may not be the answer. Hope I don't have to remove the "coolers" to get to the fan. Nothing in life is easy...

Tags
kz-rv