RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Residential Refrigerator Installation Question

I am in the process of replacing my Norcold with a 10 cu. ft. residential refrigerator. The manual call for a side clearance of 1", back 2", and top 12" for air circulation (I only have @3-4" top clearance). The question is whether I should close the bottom and top outside vents and let the unit recirculate into my motorhome, or should I seal (as best I can) the refrigerator inside (like the old unit was) and leave the outside vents open? Since I don't have the top clearance, I am leaning toward leaving the top and bottom vents open. What have other done? Pros and cons of each would be appreciated.

Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
There is a big difference in the way an absorption and a residential fridge operate. Your old Norcold had an open flame when it was on propane and a heating element when on electric. Your new Frigidaire has a small compressor running on 110v.

Factory RV residential installations seal the fridge from outside air, but leave the top, bottom and sides open to the inside. This keeps the airflow at a fairly even temperature and keeps it away from summer and winter extremes. Look at the fridge installation in your house. It does not have any outside vents.

The 3-4" space on top is more than enough.

vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:24 PM   #3

Gas refrigerators are vented outdoors, in case of a gas leak.

I believe the RVIA regulations require this on any un-attended gas appliance.

If the fridge had a gas leak, it needs to leak outside, not collect in the living spaces. Same with the water heater and the furnace. Probably why there are no factory installed un-vented gas heaters.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I sealed off both the side and top vent when I replaced the norcold with a residential fridge. No need for the external ventilation with a compressor driven fridge.

I have about an inch on each side, an inch in the back, and 1.5 inches on top.

Been using it for over a year and its been working well.
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:02 PM   #5

When I replaced my Dometic with a Residential Fisher & Paykel, I had the same question.

Initially I sealed the access door only thinking the fridge could then vent through the roof (air flow draws air from the lower front, up the back and out the roof vent).

This worked well as long as the coach was sitting still. As soon as we started moving, the air flowing over the roof fridge vent sucked every bit of warm air (it was winter) out of the motorhome. Too much air ventilation.

I then sealed the roof vent and left it as is. It's been working this way since 2013. In fact, I don't think we've ever turned the fridge off since it was installed... and it's doing great.

I did have the thought of cutting a vent hole into the adjoining bath area and installing a 4" exhaust fan, to vent the back of the fridge, but it really hasn't been necessary.

Best of luck with your install.

Bill B
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dave View Post
I sealed off both the side and top vent when I replaced the norcold with a residential fridge. No need for the external ventilation with a compressor driven fridge.

I have about an inch on each side, an inch in the back, and 1.5 inches on top.

Been using it for over a year and its been working well.

I never ;;I left the rear lower vent as is and that allows for cool air intake for condenser cooling in warm or hot weather .That's my take on it and what I did
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
In my factory residential refrig installation. The sides and top do not have clearance. The bottom has the typical vent and there is about 2 inches of clearance in the rear with an outside vent
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:29 PM   #8

When I installed my 18 cu ft samsung I blocked off all outside venting, side and top. My house doesn't have a big hole in the wall behind the fridge so why should the coach. There is room for air flow in the back(about 3 inches), the bottom is vented by design of the fridge, the sides have about 1/4 inch on each side and the top has about 1 1/2 inch of clearance. It works great that way.

Dave

Woodman018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, refrigerator