Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #1

Retractable Entry Step Not Working

2008 Monaco Diplomat - open the door but step did not extend, switch not lighting up. Replaced both the switch fuse (7.5 amp) and the step fuse (25 amp) but no luck. Any thoughts on where to look next?

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2013, 04:07 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tap the motor with a hammer and check all connections. Be careful not to get in the way of the moving steps when you are under coach.

Drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the ground to make sure it's clean and tight. Try jumping the two wires that go to the door switch itself. Check the connector to the motor for 12 volts.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #4

If it is a Lippard you can download the trouble shooting manual off their web site and determin the problem. I have replaced 2 of their step controllers on our 2008 Camalot.
PR
Old 03-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #5

Had the same problem with my 2008 Knight It was the controller. I was able to extend and retract the steps with a set of small jumpers from under the coach using the existing 12V at the step controller jumped to the motor terminal wires, polarity change will extend or retract step since mine was covered under warranty I used the jumper method until I returned home and had the dealer replace the controller.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #6

Thanks everyone, but repairing the step is beyond my limited mechanical ability. Bought a little folding step that will work until I get to a repair shop.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #7

I had intermittant problems with my step during a Florida trip. When it stuck it was usually in. But it occured to me that if it stuck out I was in trouble. You might want to scoot under and unplug the two wire connector to the motor. Then you know it won't start working when you don't want it to. After I got home I hooked it back up and it started working again. I lubed all the bearings and pivots and it actually is pretty smooth now.
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHEMOTH View Post
Thanks everyone, but repairing the step is beyond my limited mechanical ability. Bought a little folding step that will work until I get to a repair shop.

Excellent choice ... and it works for cleaning the windshield and a bunch of other chores that require a little height.