Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2019, 04:35 AM   #1

Return Air Filter

Hi All,

Decided to clean the return air filters in our new to us 2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder. Standing on the bed to peer into the space between the decorative panel and the ceiling, I was surprised to see what looked like a mesh filter screwed into the ceiling with no plastic access panel over it. I am wondering if this is how it was originally designed.

Also, does anyone have any advice for accessing the front filter? The decorative panel is massive. It appears there are bolts at the four corners and just one hinge in the center curbside. I am guessing this is not a one person job.

Thanks!

Rick
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2019, 04:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
One side should unbolt, then it hinges down to provide clearance. A one person job.

The standard filter setup seems pretty inadequate.

I fabricated a metal frame from 1/8” x1/2” steel that would go outside the filter and try to stop air going around the filter.
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhittle View Post
One side should unbolt, then it hinges down to provide clearance. A one person job.

The standard filter setup seems pretty inadequate.

I fabricated a metal frame from 1/8” x1/2” steel that would go outside the filter and try to stop air going around the filter.
Thanks for the reply!

What are the screws for the filter screwed into? It looks like they are just screwed into the ceiling.

Rick
Old 02-06-2019, 05:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The 2005 Patriot does not have a swing down ceilign panel (I guess the change was made in 2006).
On the 2005 the panel is attached with J-brackets and it takes a couple of people to remove it (I used a drywall lift).

But the air return filter is a "paper filter" on mine (I would assume yours too). The bedroom filter can be slid out (sits in a track) without dropping the panel (probably true for living room ceiling panel but i didn't try since I had the panel down to install new LED accent lights).

It's 16x16x1 inch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 Beaver Patriot Ceiling Panel mounting.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	234255  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1flr View Post
What are the screws for the filter screwed into? It looks like they are just screwed into the ceiling.
Just into the frame around the hole. While in there I suggest you inspect in there such as the ductwork tape to the heat pump for air leaks, wiring etc., especially the data (phone) plugs to the heat pumps. They get old and crumble which is easily repaired. The bedroom may be wired for a fan if it isn't there already. Some of us have added a fan in the saloon (living room) since the late models have a fair amount of headroom.

I was not happy with the A/C air flow from those decorative panels and made extensions to lower them an inch. It did help quite a bit but the ceiling fan made the largest improvement.

FWIW, the main air duct on mine was not capped off at the aft end, no suprise the rear bath was not cooling when I got it.

On edit, I see I posted the same time as Country B and as he points out the earlier ones are different, I'm not sure about the 2006 Patriot being the same as the later ones that I described.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:27 AM   #6

Hi CountryB And Hypoxia,

Thanks for the information and photos. The bedroom filter does not appear to be on a track. It looks like the filter element itself is screwed directly into the ceiling, as some have said is the implementation on their coaches. Your setup looks far easier to manage. I cannot see into the living room setup yet ad that requires dropping the panel first.

Rick
Old 02-06-2019, 07:44 AM   #7

I WAS SURPRISED! I stumbled onto something in the owners manual for our '06 Dynasty that I'd previously missed. It said that we should check the four mounting bolts on our roof mounted heat pumps, once a year. Well, it's been 13 years!

I was cleaning our return air filters a few days ago, and thought I'd check them. With a socket on a 6" extension and a small ratchet, I started to snug down our front and middle heat pump units' bolts. SURPRISE!!! It took at least two to three full turns of the bolts to meet noticeable resistance!!! I snugged them down, and should be good for another 13 years, right? I did not tighten them. They pull the upper unit down and squeeze the gasket between the unit and the roof, so they shouldn't be overly torqued down. The manual did not give a torque value. I just gave them the torque that my little finger on the end of the ratchet, using one hand, would produce.

Interesting! Glad I checked it! Knock on wood, but I tightened them before any evidence of any leakage appears to have occurred. Yay!
K7JV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:46 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
For what it's worth, both our 2004 and 2007 Monaco's have the swing down AC covers. They use two 7/16" hex head bolts that screw out and then the cover swings down on hinges mounted on the passenger side. It is a very easy one person job.
The filters however are very crude. They are just foam filters screwed onto the ceiling using 4 screws with washers. Like Paul says, they really need a frame around them.
I purchased a new Dometic AC filter kit on Amazon and it does not fit our application.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:50 AM   #9

You guys must be more talented than me. On especially the large front panel in our coach, it takes 2 people to swing down and back up, otherwise I think the somewhat spindly hinge will twist out of shape. It certainly isn't difficult, but IMHO it takes 2
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
If anyone gets a chance, please post a photo of this hinge setup.

I would like to convert mine to a hinge setup someday - but it definitely needs to be done right as that ceiling panel is really heavy. Since the panel is sort of oval shaped, I would think the hinge would need to be located at the center-edge and probably could not be very long.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air