Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #1

REV RV Group in Indiana.

I finally got to tour the REV Group assembly line in Decatur Indiana. I had a great time and am quite impresses with how busy they are. LOTS of motorhomes running the line.
Our guide Tom was awesome and I don't know for sure but am suspecious he is higher in the food chain than he lets on.

One word of warning though sbout the tour, he is ALL about American Coach, Fleetwood and such. He never said it exactly but he clearly has a distane for Monaco and Roadmaster. Surprising negative comments about Signature and Executive pre REV take over. I get it, he is trying to sell "new" disgarding "old"product lines. I guess I get it but really would have appreciated acknowledgement of Monaco's heritage. Instead I was told the Roadmaster Chassis is well known to crack a lot, was copied or taken from Dodge, is not set up to support the walls and is designed to shake the walls apart.
OK, beyond all that I had a great time there. American Coaches are beautiful and set up very well.
I also stayed in the service parking area overnight. They have revamped the lot and have a nice customer lounge.

Overall a nice day trip!
Windecker
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171019_185351.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	180478Click image for larger version

Name:	20171020_124957.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	180479Click image for larger version

Name:	20171020_124955.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	180480Click image for larger version

Name:	20171020_125002.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	180481
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #2

Their support for older Monaco customers reflects that attitude very clearly.
Mhcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #3

Hi Windecker: Thanks for the info. I agree with what Mhcorrigan said. REV shows no interest in Monaco or any of it's owners. Unless you just bought a new REV Monaco. All you have to do is read a post from an original Monaco owner after they talk to REV. No help. I guess that is why we are here. Better tech. service than from REV, IMHO. Have a great day!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:09 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windecker View Post
I finally got to tour the REV Group assembly line in Decatur Indiana. I had a great time and am quite impresses with how busy they are. LOTS of motorhomes running the line.
Our guide Tom was awesome and I don't know for sure but am suspecious he is higher in the food chain than he lets on.

One word of warning though sbout the tour, he is ALL about American Coach, Fleetwood and such. He never said it exactly but he clearly has a distane for Monaco and Roadmaster. Surprising negative comments about Signature and Executive pre REV take over. I get it, he is trying to sell "new" disgarding "old"product lines. I guess I get it but really would have appreciated acknowledgement of Monaco's heritage. Instead I was told the Roadmaster Chassis is well known to crack a lot, was copied or taken from Dodge, is not set up to support the walls and is designed to shake the walls apart.
OK, beyond all that I had a great time there. American Coaches are beautiful and set up very well.
I also stayed in the service parking area overnight. They have revamped the lot and have a nice customer lounge.

Overall a nice day trip!
Windecker
Attachment 180478Attachment 180479Attachment 180480Attachment 180481
Well I'm sitting at the Coburg Repair facility and there are a few American Coach owners as well as new Monaco owners that are wishing they would have stayed with there old coaches.

Never does any good to say bad about other manufactures, as it has a way of haunting you. I'm sure Rev would really like to have the oppurtunity to redo some of the coaches they have manufactured.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:47 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
Well I'm sitting at the Coburg Repair facility and there are a few American Coach owners as well as new Monaco owners that are wishing they would have stayed with there old coaches.

Never does any good to say bad about other manufactures, as it has a way of haunting you. I'm sure Rev would really like to have the oppurtunity to redo some of the coaches they have manufactured.
We are also sitting at the Coburg Repair facility in one of the new REV built Monaco coaches. We are very happy with it. We have no regrets or thoughts that maybe we should have bought anything else. We are thoroughly enjoying this coach. The floor plan and features are perfect for us. The only issues we have had were minor and they have all been taken care of to our satisfaction.

We have come to Coburg several times for minor repairs and we have also been to the new facility in Decatur. At all times we were treated very well and they tried their best to fix everything we asked for, no matter how picky we seemed. They have gone above and beyond for us.

We also took the factory tour with Tom in Decatur. During our tour, we did not get any indication from him that he had negative thoughts toward the Monaco brand.

Fortunately we have nothing but positive things to say about our new Monaco and the way REV has taken care of us. I hope others will have the same experience.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:36 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I've Had Good Support from REV/Monaco

When I have called Monaco support at REV, I've been fortunate to speak to technicians that have a wealth of knowledge and experience. In fact, their veteran insights have helped me with both little problems (HWH air leveling control panel comes unplugged) and big tasks (evaluating a coordinated adjustment of tire psi, axel loading, and tag axel pressure).

My only complaint about REV is that it usually takes some time to get someone from Monaco support on the phone, but that's a universal problem -- certainly not unique to them. The long and short of it, I have never had an unsatisfactory support/parts experience with them.

That said, I'm sure the bias displayed on a REV factory tour is emblematic of a normal attitude in business: no one wants to be accused of building something that is of lesser quality than a legacy product. That's simply cognitive dissonance at play.

Maybe some people at REV need to better appreciate what got them to where they are, but Im happy with their support.

The grand Monaco legacy lives on.
TomAndPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano50 View Post
We are also sitting at the Coburg Repair facility in one of the new REV built Monaco coaches. We are very happy with it. We have no regrets or thoughts that maybe we should have bought anything else. We are thoroughly enjoying this coach. The floor plan and features are perfect for us. The only issues we have had were minor and they have all been taken care of to our satisfaction.

We have come to Coburg several times for minor repairs and we have also been to the new facility in Decatur. At all times we were treated very well and they tried their best to fix everything we asked for, no matter how picky we seemed. They have gone above and beyond for us.

We also took the factory tour with Tom in Decatur. During our tour, we did not get any indication from him that he had negative thoughts toward the Monaco brand.

Fortunately we have nothing but positive things to say about our new Monaco and the way REV has taken care of us. I hope others will have the same experience.
Really glad to hear that, cause that is the way it should be. I had nothing but good to say about them and Coburg facility as long as we we're under warranty.

Also glad to hear to hear your account about the tour, as when we upgrade our coach in a few more years I would like to have Rev on the short list.

As the American Coach Rev was on our short list when we bought this one. If they would have had the floorplan we liked we may have gone that way.

Let's hope Rev continues to improve.

(one thing about being at the repair facilities is that we tend to see the worst sometimes)
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #8

Thanks for the comments all. I am certainly not trying to start trouble for anyone or any product. My feelings are that I did nothing to challenge him or indicate that Legacy products were better in anyway. I was there to see how the American Coaches are built as I like them and just love the manufacturing process. He specifically asked us what we currently own if anything so we answered. He took few swings at any other manufacture but many jabs at Monaco over the 3 hours we were there. Perhaps I said or did something I am unaware of that caused this? If so, my apologies to them.

Again, all that said, I get it, let's sell you a new REV RV product tossing that old outdated POS Monaco to the curb.

I VERY much liked Tom and appreciated the tour. I had a great time and feel a little bad about casting a cloud over an otherwise great day.

The plant is very large with a lot of people working away at building Motorhomes. I did not count them but I think I saw 8 or 10 full size paint booths! A lot of different model lines running together. A high end coach being built right next to an entry level coach. Side by side, and front to rear. Tom explained that they work 10 hour shifts and can pretty much build a gas coach in 1 shift and a diesel in just over 2 shifts. I believe that was minus paint, just the building and interior.

Perhaps more salesmanship he spoke to the older coaches with 3 jack stands and slide outs, stay away! The body flexes to much and will over time become so loose and out of rig it will be worthless. I believe he said pre 2004, good to know I guess.

He explained that zero production REV Group RV's have a propane fridge and soon all REV Group products will be all electricity, no propane at all. I was a little confused about that comment though because he specifically mentioned Aquahot which is diesel and electric. Perhaps I don't fully grasp what all electric means? He also mentioned they are testing zero fuel Motorhomes now which I assume means Electric drive line.

He said all REV Group MH's come with Michelin tires which may upset some (not me personally though).
He showed us (only the outside unfortunately) the new emergency exit system in an Executive they had just finished. Very cool idea. There is actually a flush fit door at the bedroom that will open from inside which extends steps out for egress. This is emergency use only, not everyday I am sure. Also the tag axle now steers with the front wheels to help maneuvering and prevent tire scrub. Although I like that, sounds scary for continued maintenance. I asked how American Coach took care of tire scrub before this technology and all I got was how awful Monaco's tag raise idea is/was. I mentioned that I heard AC deflated the tag springs and again, I got told Monaco's way was "cracking a lot of axles". I never mentioned Monaco's design once. I believe he finally said that AC lowers the tag pressure by 60% or to 60% when you drop it in reverse.

I believe he said all REV Group motorhomes have one piece windshields, certainly all I saw there were one piece.

I need to think about things, maybe get a list of questions in order and go back for another tour. I would really like to learn more about the American products. On the tour we took, we saw no tag units "on the line". Just a couple in post paint or pre delivery.

Overall a good tour with VERY friendly folks on the line and office. Actually forgot to mention, while on the tour, the crews yielded willingly to us at anytime with no sign of displacement or whatever.

As for the service area shown in the pictures above. I hit them during lunch so did not get to talk with anyone in the shop but it was very clean, well organized and honestly impressive. After seeing the shop at LazyDays in Florida, this REV Group service area puts them to shame, but that is another story.

If in the area, it is worth a visit.
Windecker
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:33 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When we took the tour in 14 we too felt the guide was disparaging Monaco/HR. We seemed to build the coaches himself.
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #10

I think Tom is the same fellow that worked for Fleetwood before the bankruptcy. I have toured their older facility twice. Once when it was exclusively the American line and the Revolution. At that time Fleetwood produced the Bounders ,etc. at a plant in the East( PA?). We almost bought a Revolution. It was a poor man's American Eagle. However they would not make any changes. What you see is what you get. The workers spent more time in the assembly than say Monaco or even the Bounder plant. Fleetwood had some good ideas. The American line had a one piece windshield that came from the glass factory in a steel frame. No chance of the glass moving and leaking. The chassis was a Hybrid. Spartan or FL front and rear clip with a fancy frame in between. I do not know who fabricated the frame. Might have been Lippert or some metal fab shop. Tremendous amount of under body storage space. The PA plant had a brand new paint line. It was a long paint booth. I think over 1000 feet. On either side of the MH's there was a track for a sliding cage that could be raised or lowered by the painter. Really slick. The paint was mixed in a separate flame/explosion proof room and piped to the paint line. Later they closed the PA plant and all units were being made @ Decatur. The chassis was also being used by the Bounders in 08. But then Fleetwood went under! I can understand Tom not liking the Monaco line. He must have FW blood in his veins. The idea for a steering rear axle can be problematic. Bluebird tried this. I think they had hydraulic pins that would lock the tag in a straight position. Did not work well and most owners had them welded in the straight position. Personally I like the idea of a tag that lifts. Our Dynasty has that system. I leave it in the up position and it drops as soon as you go over a few MPH. Maneuvering in CG's is very easy. As for support. The ""old guys" from Oregon were amazing. The last time I called the Rev Group the results were horrible!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
His disparaging of any REV products does not, in my opinion, speak well of REV management.
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #12

Hello all; Owners here have posted very good response on Windeckers original post on his visit to the REV Factory. Over the years I have know just a few very good sales personal. They have said, it does not matter if it is a motorhome, car, truck, motorcycle etc. Do not tell the owner that what they own is inferior to the product the sales personal or tour personal are selling! Owners, like we pre REV Monaco owners, and other products don't react too well to this after they have put their hard earned money into a product. I am sure that there are others who have found their older Monaco products not to be satisfactory. I have toured the old Monaco Factory in Coburg, Or. many times between 04 and 08 and never heard the personal say how bad another's motorhome manufacture was. When asked, I own X product and they have designed it this way, the tour personal would respond with, that is a good design, but we have found a way to improve and make it better, here let me show you why! To me, this is a more objective way to run things. I think that it makes people less defensive. Just thought I would throw this into the mix of the conversations and hope whatever owners have bought that they are enjoying their coach. Everyone have a great day!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I think Tom is the same fellow that worked for Fleetwood before the bankruptcy. I have toured their older facility twice. Once when it was exclusively the American line and the Revolution. At that time Fleetwood produced the Bounders ,etc. at a plant in the East( PA?). We almost bought a Revolution. It was a poor man's American Eagle. However they would not make any changes. What you see is what you get. The workers spent more time in the assembly than say Monaco or even the Bounder plant. Fleetwood had some good ideas. The American line had a one piece windshield that came from the glass factory in a steel frame. No chance of the glass moving and leaking. The chassis was a Hybrid. Spartan or FL front and rear clip with a fancy frame in between. I do not know who fabricated the frame. Might have been Lippert or some metal fab shop. Tremendous amount of under body storage space. The PA plant had a brand new paint line. It was a long paint booth. I think over 1000 feet. On either side of the MH's there was a track for a sliding cage that could be raised or lowered by the painter. Really slick. The paint was mixed in a separate flame/explosion proof room and piped to the paint line. Later they closed the PA plant and all units were being made @ Decatur. The chassis was also being used by the Bounders in 08. But then Fleetwood went under! I can understand Tom not liking the Monaco line. He must have FW blood in his veins. The idea for a steering rear axle can be problematic. Bluebird tried this. I think they had hydraulic pins that would lock the tag in a straight position. Did not work well and most owners had them welded in the straight position. Personally I like the idea of a tag that lifts. Our Dynasty has that system. I leave it in the up position and it drops as soon as you go over a few MPH. Maneuvering in CG's is very easy. As for support. The ""old guys" from Oregon were amazing. The last time I called the Rev Group the results were horrible!

The old guys in OR knew everything about Monaco problems and helped me out numerous times with problems. When REV closed that facility, tons of knowledge went elsewhere and what REV has now is pathetic when seeking help with a Monaco that is older. I personally don’t call them for anything since all I hear is we don’t have any information on your coach.
Mhcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote