RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2007, 05:28 PM   #1

Howdy,
I was down at Topsail state preserve last week and was talking to a guy who has the same year and make of motorhome. During the discussion I told him how I just put Koni shocks on the front end and how it helped. He replied that he had his ride height adjusted and how it greatly improved his ride quality.
I decided to check my ride height against the spec;s in the manual and sure enough the front was pretty far off.
I almost adjusted it right there in the campground but was a little unsure of myself. The procedure doesn't sound to complicated but of course I didn't want to squash myself or lose a arm or something. Funny how that will make you think. Anyway have any of you on here adjusted your ride height? Would you attempt it again?
Letsgoagain

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2007, 05:28 PM   #2

Howdy,
I was down at Topsail state preserve last week and was talking to a guy who has the same year and make of motorhome. During the discussion I told him how I just put Koni shocks on the front end and how it helped. He replied that he had his ride height adjusted and how it greatly improved his ride quality.
I decided to check my ride height against the spec;s in the manual and sure enough the front was pretty far off.
I almost adjusted it right there in the campground but was a little unsure of myself. The procedure doesn't sound to complicated but of course I didn't want to squash myself or lose a arm or something. Funny how that will make you think. Anyway have any of you on here adjusted your ride height? Would you attempt it again?
Letsgoagain

Old 05-31-2007, 06:35 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
From what I understand, it's a simple job. Supposedly not much more than tweaking the little lever underneath (the front or back). I think the manual may also have some info on it. If not, give the good folks at Monaco Tech-Support a call.

Hopefully someone will jump in here with more info.

In any case... Please be very careful working under there, I've heard that you can inadvertently command a full air-dump with that lever. A bad thing if you're under there when it happens.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Letsgo, this is the procedure that I use on our 99dip but I think your coach has the smooth sided bags and Monaco has changed the height specs more than once so call tec support to get latest height specs. This is long!

Ride Height 99 dip

Note in 2006 Monaco changed to measuring the distance from the bottom of the top plate of the air bags to the top of the bottom plate.

The old procedure is easier for me because of the double donut type air bags.

using 1/2" wood dial cut at 8" and 10" and coach level with safety stands and chaise aired up. adjust front with the 8" wood dial from top of H frame (this measurement is to be taken at the back of the H frame that goes from one side to the other) to bottom of the frame of the coach by adjusting the ride height valve in the middle and over the front axle with a long rod attached to front axle.
On the back use the 10" rods to adj the two ride height valves as with the front.

If the measurement is off, loosen the adjusting lock nut at the eccentric slot on the valve. Take a 7/16 wrench and 7/64 twist drill bit and crawl under the front of your coach. Locate the front jack. Just forward of the front jack, you should be able to sit up. You will see a narrow, vertical shaft. That shaft connects to a metal plate fastened to a short tubular piece of plastic. There is an elongated slot in the metal plate with a nut sticking out. Loosen the nut Move the plastic arm (tube) up to raise suspension height, this will inflate all the front air bags. Move the plastic arm (tube) down to lower suspension height, this will deflate the air bags. Make adjustments in small increments. When satisfied insert the drill bit in the plastic arm and valve body, the bit is there to hold the arm while tighten the 7/16 nut to 60 to 80 inch lb. After you finish blow down and start the engine and re air and check the height again adjust if necessary.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:15 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hi WalterL -

Welcome to irv2 We're really glad to have you here as a new member and are looking forward to reading your posts about your RVing experiences and adventures. You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them. Enjoy the forums and post often, and when you want to be a official member of the forum just let me know.

I get the impression you really know your way around these coaches. You'll make a good addition to this forum!

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Ron!
Letsgo one other thing, you fill the RVA by extending the front jack 6" leave the ign key on (not the engine)and when the low oil alarm quits dinging it is at the correct level.
Good luck
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:38 PM   #7

I have an 96 Monaco DP which has a strap coming off the front axle to the ride height sensor that I drilled 3 more holes in it to change the ride height on the front because of the hard ride. I spaced the holes 1/2" and went down two holes before I got a better ride.

sjholt is offline   Reply With Quote