Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ride height for a Dynasty

We have a "new to us" 08' Dynasty Squire IV 43' with tag on a RR10S Roadmaster chassis. The ride feels very soft to me compared to our old coach. The owners manual does not say what the correct height should be but Monaco tech support says it should be 9" on all 10 air bags. A quick check shows that it is set pretty much to 9" all around. But, again, the ride feels too soft. The coach has too much side to side sway etc. Two things, can anyone confirm that 9" is the correct setting for this coach, and, if it is, what would it hurt to raise it up maybe a 1/4" to 1/2" to stiffen the ride a bit? If 9" is correct and I do raise it up a little bit I would, of course, check the drive shaft/pinon angle. This unit has Bilstein shocks with 46K miles, front tires are at 110 and drive axle and tag axle tires are all at 95. I am going to 110 PSI all around before we go out again. I also have a small amount of wander in this coach but I am about to have the caster adjusted on the alignment which should take care of that.
We had an 05' Safari Gazelle 38' on a RR8S Roadmaster chassis. The owner's manual on the Safari said the ride height should be set at 9 5/16" and I confirmed that with Monaco tech support. The ride height on that unit was way off when we got it and setting it correctly improved the ride a great deal. I would expect the Dynasty to ride at least as well. Can anyone help?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Raising (or lowering) the ride height should make little or no difference in the ride characteristics. The internal pressure in the air bags is set by the system and the ride height adjusters just add or subtract air volume.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #3

Long Thread about this same issue this summer

There was a long discussion of this issue this summer started by me. I am relatively new to this web site so dont know how to find a thread and then insert it into this response. However, if you search for this topic: "My Dynasty seems to ride "butt" down" or something very similar, you will come up with definitive information about what you are asking. One of the fellows on the site provided a table which showed all models and all ride heights direct from Monaco. My '01 Dynasty tag is supposed to be 9" all around. However, it took a lot of work to figure it out since it is reported in the owner's manual as a different set of heights (single back axle, and not correct for a tag axle). You can find that table and a lot of other verbiage about this issue at that thread. However, there is also a ride height adjustment that adjust to the 9" and either the front or rear on my coach needs to be adjusted, but I am waiting until I go into the shop next time to get it resolved.

Regards

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #4

We have an 08 42 ft. Dynasty and love the ride. BUT I installed new Koni's when it was new. You are running way too much air in your tag. But I would recommend that you each wheel position to determine the correct pressures. What pressure do you have in the tag bags?
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the response Mr. D, however, I respectfully disagree, from personal experience as well as simple logic IMHO. Adding air to the air bags (which raises the coach) adds PSI to the bag to accomplish this, as well as volume. It's the same as airing up a tire. The more PSI you put in the tire the harder the tire becomes and the less "flat" it looks, also the harder the ride. The size of the tire determines the volume but not the PSI which is what holds the rim off of the ground even with a very heavy rider. It works just the same on the air bags. You air them up harder to raise the ride height which, in turn gives, a firmer ride. In any event my question was can anyone confirm that 9" is the correct ride height for this coach? Thanks again for your feed back though.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Gary, I did a search and saw the thread about the riding "butt down" but didn't read the whole thread not thinking it might show such a chart. I will go look again. That is the info I'm looking for.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Here is the thread that Gary.Jones was referring to:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/my-d...wn-168091.html

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
On the Monacoers Yahoo Forum there is a files section for members only. In there are some Ride Height settings for most Monaco coaches. Unfortunately it only goes up to 2006 but for years 2004 - 2006 it has been 9 inches for front and rear. Prior to that it had been different for the rear and front. So I would assume that it would be 9 inches for the 2008.

I would also suggest that since you are new to the Monaco Dynasty you would benefit greatly by joining this Yahoo group where you will find far more information about your coach than here.

Yahoo! Groups

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #9

Trying to insert a thread for the first time

Not sure if this will work, but here is the link to the thread I think.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/my-d...wn-168091.html
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
We have an 08 42 ft. Dynasty and love the ride. BUT I installed new Koni's when it was new. You are running way too much air in your tag. But I would recommend that you each wheel position to determine the correct pressures. What pressure do you have in the tag bags?
Thanks for your response Moisheh. I am a little confused though. You say I'm running way to much air "in your tag" and then what is the pressure "in the tag bags". Do you mean that you think I'm running too much air pressure in the tires on my tag axle? Also, I have no idea how much air pressure is in the air bags on my tag axle. The automatic adjustment valves maintain the correct height, not a constant pressure which would vary depending on the weight of the vehicle. I should not have mentioned tire pressure, that is a different topic I am going to try running 110 PSI all around though and see if that helps give me the stiffer ride I'm looking for. It certainly won't hurt anything. As stated above i will go look at the old thread about the Dynasty riding "butt down" and look for the confirmation of the correct ride height.
Thanks again for you feed back.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Gary J. I did go look at that old thread. The only chart I saw only went up to 2006 though which showed 9" all around. I guess I will have to assume that tech support was correct for now. I do have to admit that this is my first coach with a tag axle. I will not attempt to adjust the loading of that without more research and a better understanding of how that fits in with the ride height adjustment. It would seem like it is possible that if the tag is not loaded enough that it could cause the problem I am experiencing.IMO. If I think i understand it enough I might tweak it some, see how it affects the ride and weigh the steer axle to be sure it's not over loaded.Thanks for all the feed back.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck49 View Post
Thanks for your response Moisheh. I am a little confused though. You say I'm running way to much air "in your tag" and then what is the pressure "in the tag bags". Do you mean that you think I'm running too much air pressure in the tires on my tag axle? Also, I have no idea how much air pressure is in the air bags on my tag axle. The automatic adjustment valves maintain the correct height, not a constant pressure which would vary depending on the weight of the vehicle. I should not have mentioned tire pressure, that is a different topic I am going to try running 110 PSI all around though and see if that helps give me the stiffer ride I'm looking for. It certainly won't hurt anything. As stated above i will go look at the old thread about the Dynasty riding "butt down" and look for the confirmation of the correct ride height.
Thanks again for you feed back.
Chuck,
Your tag axle should have a pressure adjustment valve in the engine compartment (mine is on the left side (facing the engine comp) about shoulder height. I think my tag pressure is set around 43-45 lbs. To get the setting correct, you will need to run through the truck scales a couple of times to get it where it is supposed to be. Do a search here on the Monoco owners forum for "tag adjustment" or "tag pressure adjustment" and you will find the procedure used to set the pressure. Too much pressure on the tag will overload the front axle and too little pressure will load up the drive axle. When the pressure is right, you will find that you have a very good ride, just like it is on rails with no "wandering" on the road with crosswinds or trucks passing. If you already have this information forgive the long post but it sounds like you are thinking the tag "automatic". The ride height is "auto" so to speak if everything is working as it should and the 9" ride height is set correctly but the tag pressure that increases or decreases the axle pressure on the ground is adjustable from the valve inside the engine compartment.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:16 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Barlow. I appreciate the tag adjustment info. I will see where it is adjusted now and go from there.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:46 AM   #14

Barlow has explained what I was trying to say. Your tag is not supposed to carry 10,000 lbs. Mine I think is set to 35 or 40 lbs. Tire pressure for tag is 90lbs. I run the fronts @ 110. Rides great. Like I said you need to weigh your unit and then all your pressures can be set correctly. What are you running for tires? If they are the infamous GY 670's that could be your problem. I could go on for an hour on those tires but others on the forum get upset!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote