RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Roadmaster Chassis Question

We are looking for a used late model Monaco diesel to purchase. I recall that some years had handling problems due to the air bag placements.

Anyone know what years this was.

Thanks

RikR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard.

These threads will give you some reading about handling problems and I'm sure others will give you more info.

Steering Box Play- Sheppard M100 SHIM or Swap for a TRW ?

Wandering, sway bars, alignment, ride height, oh my!!

Best of luck in your search. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.

Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #3

Rikr
I suspect you are referring to the RR4R Chassis on Cayman/Neptune/Simba and a couple early Knights. Good chassis to avoid. The rest of Monaco Roadmaster is about the best ride and quality for the bucks short of a super coach. Source Engineering supplied the beefed up trailing arms and ride enhancement kit we had installed on our Cayman. It really worked to make the ride safe. But the passenger rear is often much heavier than the driver's rear and that creates other problems. Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
I still really like the Monaco Coach Corp 8 or 10 bag chassis, especially the semi monocoque frame and would look for one of them if I were looking. Monaco builds a quality coach.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikR View Post
We are looking for a used late model Monaco diesel to purchase. I recall that some years had handling problems due to the air bag placements.

Anyone know what years this was.

Thanks
I have never heard of this.....and I too expect you are referring to the trailing arms problems of the R4R and RR4R chassis. Just do a search on this chassis nomenclature and you'll get all the info you need.

I had my trailing arms replaced on our 08 Simba RD with the RR4R chassis with the Source Eng. replacements. Chassis was still rough riding and tended to porpoise with dips and bumps and would rock side to side when entering or leaving driveways to gas stations and such. Source Eng also provided an "ride enhancement" kit that supposedly eliminated or at least reduced this problem.

Of course when we purchased it, neither the dealer nor the mfg provided us with notification of this defect and the ongoing mfg's recall. A year later, Monaco went out of business and we were stuck with the $3500 bill to replace the arms. We sold our Simba after only a few years of owning it.

I would not recommend any of the Monaco manufactured motor homes that have either of these two chassis.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Monaco sway?

Any of the RR8R chassis are not known for any type of sway or handling issues. We own a 2004 Monaco Diplomat 38ft ,rock solid going down the road, wife and I both can drive it with one hand on the wheel if we like, semis don't bother it and crosswinds are not nothat much of a big problem. A loth of the Monaco coaches came with Monroe shock absorbers, and they tend to wear out at 30,000 miles, I replaced ours at 42,000 and rides like a new coach. Biggest bang for the buck is a used Monaco RR8R ( non tag axle). If you go to the Monaco rv website there are brochures you can download and look at the specs.

Gordie KALTZ
04 dip 38 pst 330 isc
Towing 2002 ford escape
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #6

Frank (flynnwalter), I sure wish I had read some of your posts before we bought our Cayman, because now that we have owned ours now for awhile I can certainly see where you are coming from. But you gotta lighten up a bit on the RR4R, you're killing our resale value here.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Our 2002 Windsor with the 8 air bags is rock-solid on the road! I could not ask for a more stable ride!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A friend of mine has a 04 cayman, ans while I was still in CA we worked to find a solution to the harsh ride ( already had the replacement trailing arms installed).
What we did was very simple, replaced the shocks with new ones ( don't rember the brand) and installed 295/70/22.5's on the rear axle and installed 275's on the front, weighed the 4 corners and lowered the rear tire pressure to the minimum, ride improved by some 50% on my seat of the pants before and after.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Our 2002 Windsor with the 8 air bags is rock-solid on the road! I could not ask for a more stable ride!

Doesn't the 02 Windsor have the monocoque frame and not the Roadmaster?

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post

Glad you're aboard.

These threads will give you some reading about handling problems and I'm sure others will give you more info.

Steering Box Play- Sheppard M100 SHIM or Swap for a TRW ?

Wandering, sway bars, alignment, ride height, oh my!!

Best of luck in your search. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Definitely look at the steering box play thread above. The Sheppard boxes seem to cause lots of handling problems. CrazyKnight's solution was inspired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnwalter View Post
But the passenger rear is often much heavier than the driver's rear and that creates other problems.
I can't believe you wrote this . You better run and hide.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:11 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Doesn't the 02 Windsor have the monocoque frame and not the Roadmaster?

Ron

It does, but it is my understanding that was just a particular version of the Roadmaster chassis.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #12

Chris
I can't believe I did that either. Good thing my wife doesn't read these! And none of you all know her to snitch me out--Priceless
Old 07-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #13

MonCay
Mea Culpa! I am extra hard on the Caymans and perhaps I shouldn't be. If its purchased dirt cheap and buyer knows about the need for replacing the trailing arms AND the ride enhancement kit before the sale, then its not a bad riding coach. The Monaco quality 'trickles' down from the big boys higher up the food chain, and we even have several items not found on the higher ups just a few years back (from 09) such as drain tubes for the a/c units. OTOH I want to be honest with the folks who are thinking about making a purchase and may not know of these problems/expenses. For sure our decision to keep our unit has a lot to do with insufficient moolah to do otherwise, but we are proud and happy with our coach right now. Maybe I'll use more private messages?
Old 07-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #14

avfordguy
We switched tire sizes also, but went the 295/75R22.5 on all six wheels. Purpose was twofold 1) passenger rear weighs 2700 lbs more than driver rear and the OEM 255s had to be maxed out in air pressure to carry this load. 2) hoped a bigger tire rated for more weight at a lower psi would smooth the ride some compared to the 255s that rode a bit like solid rubber tires. It worked better than expected.
I don't know about having different diameter tires on front and rear? Never heard of it being done, to be honest.

Tags
chassis