Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #1

Roadmaster Chassis Question

Hey folks. I wasn't sure where to put this So if it needs to be moved to the right spot feel free. Is there a way of knowing which Roadmaster chassis a 92 Monaco Dynasty has or even if there is more than one option. Also issues to look for (I seem to recall reading rear trailing arms). Any help you could provide would be great. I'm not a complete noob to RVing but this would be my first diesel.
Dean McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2019, 12:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Check out the link in my signature line for "Beaver (Monaco) History/Chassis/Suspn info". I complied the info for the Beaver brand - but it is 99% the same for the Monaco line when your looking at the Roadmaster chassis.

There is a VIN decoder for Monaco in the document, so if you know your Coach's serial number you can see what chassis type it came with.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Check out the link in my signature line for "Beaver (Monaco) History/Chassis/Suspn info". I complied the info for the Beaver brand - but it is 99% the same for the Monaco line when your looking at the Roadmaster chassis.

There is a VIN decoder for Monaco in the document, so if you know your Coach's serial number you can see what chassis type it came with.
Mike, thanks for the info but I'm still having a bit of difficulty decoding the VIN. The numbers in the document only go back to a 2001 manufacture date?
Old 10-02-2019, 02:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a VIN tag like this one (probably on the frame near front tire) that has the model code?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Chassis VIN example.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	262197  
Old 10-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #5

I Do, but the coach is in storage. I do have the VIN that begins with 1RF1...
Old 10-02-2019, 04:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know if the VIN decoder is accurate back to 1992. Usually it would be, and the later editions are just to add new codes for engines and such that are added over the years.

If it is good back to '92, the 4th digit in your serial number would indicate that you have the "S-series" chassis. That is Roadmaster's top-of-line chassis.

Is you coach a 40 footer? Does it have a Tag axle?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	262208  
Old 10-02-2019, 10:13 PM   #7

It's listed as a 36' and single rear axle.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:58 PM   #8

I saw this thread this morning and was pretty sure the tag in our '94 was in the front behind the removable front cover just above the gen. I checked today, and it is. It is the same as the one in CountryBs' photo.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:53 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean McCool View Post
It's listed as a 36' and single rear axle.
That that VIN chart is not correct for 1992. The S-series chassis did not get used until 2000 and up.

Sorry, this has been no help to you.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:17 AM   #10

No worries guys. And yes it does have two of the same tags. One by the front gen and one in the storage bay by the door I just can't remember what it says.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:32 AM   #11

Does anyone know what type of chassis it could be? Like is it semi-monocoque? Is there a way to tell?
Old 10-03-2019, 07:53 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
According to this list I found on the old Monaco website (but I cant be sure it goes all the way back to the 1992 year) you would have either the RM10H, RM8H chassis. Since you don't have a tag axle that leaves you with the RM8H.

The RM8H is an 8 air-bag suspension with a side mounted radiator.
Does that describe your coach correctly? If yes, that would be similar to the current Roadmaster RR8S chassis.

Your best bet is to (Google) try to find the 1992 Dynasty sales brochure and see what the specs say.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Monaco pre-2000.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	262276  
Old 10-03-2019, 08:05 AM   #13

Roadmaster

Dean,
You might try the Roadmaster chassis forums on IRV2. No personal experience with that vintage but it seems like from my reading that the suspension bushings on those earlier 90s rigs can be deteriorated. The material they were made with did not last. They can be replaced with a better bushings but it sounds like a fairly big Job. I think if they are worn out the coach can "wonder" pretty badly.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
According to this list I found on the old Monaco website (but I cant be sure it goes all the way back to the 1992 year) you would have either the RM10H, RM8H chassis. Since you don't have a tag axle that leaves you with the RM8H.

The RM8H is an 8 air-bag suspension with a side mounted radiator.
Does that describe your coach correctly? If yes, that would be similar to the current Roadmaster RR8S chassis.

Your best bet is to (Google) try to find the 1992 Dynasty sales brochure and see what the specs say.
That does sound correct. 8 bags and side rad.

Tags
chassis, roadmaster