Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 06:41 PM   #197

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Thanks Steve. I feel better about the alternator now. Just had me concerned with several folks including you about the age of mine having issues. Most times I've taken the same adage to leave well enough alone.

As far as the u bolts, I can't see why mine and yours would be any different. Let me check around and see if there's a shop that can make me a set. I just assumed they would have to come from Source. Never really even thought about being able to make them, duh!! I looked at mine really closely when I installed the sway bar and I couldn't see any stretched threads. Of course that's with the naked eye. I hate to put you out driving around taking u bolts for me. I'll try and see if their available around home. I do really appreciate the offer. Yes, I do remember mine were 7/8" also as I did replace the nuts. Thanks again,

Chad
Chad,
Just a thought. If you come up empty handed with the local shop search, you could trace your u-bolt on a piece of paper, write the dimensions on it and fax it to him. This way he could see the radius and have the dimensions he needs to have the u-bolts bent. Also, I understand the blanks or rods they start out with come in 2" increments. So, if you want your u-bolts to be one inch longer they can accommodate you. Would be more than happy to coordinate this for you if you like.
CaymanPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaymanPilot View Post
Chad,
Just a thought. If you come up empty handed with the local shop search, you could trace your u-bolt on a piece of paper, write the dimensions on it and fax it to him. This way he could see the radius and have the dimensions he needs to have the u-bolts bent. Also, I understand the blanks or rods they start out with come in 2" increments. So, if you want your u-bolts to be one inch longer they can accommodate you. Would be more than happy to coordinate this for you if you like.
Steve, I really appreciate that. Right now I'm on vacation till Saturday. Once I get home I would really like to get those done. If you don't mind doing that I would just as soon have them do it. I really hate to put you out. I will be glad too pay you for your time. I hate you out running around on your gas and time. Would they still have the pattern from your u bolts. I will call source engineering tomorrow to verify that they are the same. If so, like I think they are, they could just make another set. That would save your running around.

Actually my u bolts were long enough like they were, but an extra inch would work also, as long the threads are the same. I can get a measurement on the length of my u bolts. Maybe some of the source bolts are longer than others. Either way, thanks a bunch for the offer.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:07 PM   #199

Monaco Owners Club
I was able to take the motorhome for a test drive today. The rear anti-sway bar installation is complete so now my motorhome has all the chassis mods I know of to minimize sway and steering wheel see-sawing in a crosswind. I put 80 miles on it on the interstate so that the tech could check the torque on the new u-bolt nuts and I got a halfway decent idea of how it handles. In short, it handled like I've been wanting it to handle all along. BUT, and there are 2 big buts, today was a dead calm day with absolutely no wind and I did not get the opportunity to hook up the HHR behind it. So, I can not draw conclusions until I can drive it in a good crosswind while towing the car. However there are a couple of observations I can share with you that are independent of the wind and towing. When leaving the shop parking lot there is about a 2 inch drop onto the pavement that always made the coach rock violently - I believe Chad calls this the Wal-Mart Wobble. Today there was a very small amount of rocking, it was not violent at all and felt controlled. Today I used 5 different on/off ramps on the interstate. The first one I slowed down as usual but as I progressed through the curves, I felt control and confidence that i haven't felt before with this coach. There was no leaning that I could feel and it was smooth with no steering wheel see-sawing. Last but not least was the passing semi trucks. There were probably a dozen that passed me during the 80 mile ride. I felt the bow wave hit the motorhome while each one passed me but didn't have to see-saw the steering wheel to keep it between the lines. This may change when there is a crosswind but I definitely felt more control and more confidence. Stay tuned. The next windy day I will be out there with the HHR behind and will post observations. For now, I am encouraged!
CaymanPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:20 PM   #200

Steve, in one word: Awesome. I'm so glad to hear that you noticed the big improvement from the sway bar that I did. I'm like you Steve, I've done all I know to do to make it the best handling it can be. I can't say it handles like it's on rails, but it's sure darn close. With the chassis limitations and just the size and weight of these things, I'd definitely say we accomplished what we set out to do 6 months ago.

I look forward to hearing your words after towing your HHR. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much less wander you have.

Chad
Old 08-02-2016, 11:10 PM   #201

Monaco Owners Club
Just a quick question "onechaddude" have you done the "swap" (trw)?
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:27 AM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Just a quick question "onechaddude" have you done the "swap" (trw)?
Yes sanford, I did the swap about 2 years ago.

Chad
Old 09-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #203

Hey RR4R owners........

As promised, we have traveled well over 3,100 miles into our 6,000 mile trip........and our coach handles like a completely different coach! The SWAP over to a TRW made the biggest difference (removed 3 1/2" of free play); replacing the trailing arms with the hefty designed Source Engineering arms removed the rear end sway; replacing the shocks & airbags with the RR4R specifically designed "Ride Enhancement Kit (REK) from Source Engineering removed the horrible porpoising; and all of this was further improved with the addition of a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer. Whew......a lot of work, and a lot of $$$, but our Cheetah has definitely been tamed........in the Mountains, passing trucks, high wind gusts, etc! We plan to replace the panhard and other bushings with ATRO designed bushings later this year to finalize this quest of drivability improvement.

Many, many Thank You's to everyone who has contributed to our getting to this point.......i.e Craig, Van, Chad, etc! None of us could be enjoying a much safer driving Roadmaster chassis without these pioneers!!!

Maddog7
2004 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
Quad slide/330 CAT/CAT Gen
Dodge Durango Toad
Maddog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:24 PM   #204

Monaco Owners Club
X2 we all (those that can afford it) have a very nice handling RV.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:25 PM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog7 View Post
Hey RR4R owners........

As promised, we have traveled well over 3,100 miles into our 6,000 mile trip........and our coach handles like a completely different coach! The SWAP over to a TRW made the biggest difference (removed 3 1/2" of free play); replacing the trailing arms with the hefty designed Source Engineering arms removed the rear end sway; replacing the shocks & airbags with the RR4R specifically designed "Ride Enhancement Kit (REK) from Source Engineering removed the horrible porpoising; and all of this was further improved with the addition of a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer. Whew......a lot of work, and a lot of $$$, but our Cheetah has definitely been tamed........in the Mountains, passing trucks, high wind gusts, etc! We plan to replace the panhard and other bushings with ATRO designed bushings later this year to finalize this quest of drivability improvement.

Many, many Thank You's to everyone who has contributed to our getting to this point.......i.e Craig, Van, Chad, etc! None of us could be enjoying a much safer driving Roadmaster chassis without these pioneers!!!

Maddog7
2004 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
Quad slide/330 CAT/CAT Gen
Dodge Durango Toad
Maddog7, it's great to hear of your so much improved handling. I hope you're having an awesome trip without any problems. I'm so envious that you can get away for so long and be able to see and do everything you're doing.

It's coincidence you updated everyone today. I was planning to do the same as well. I drove about 100 miles earlier today for a labor day getaway. It was very breezy today feeling the effects of the tropical mess cruising through the Carolinas today. I could see the trees blowing and leaves flying around everywhere. Fortunately, with all the upgrades I've done it was an easy drive. Its amazing how far we've (CaymanPilot, maddog7, myself, and others)come on the rr4r chassis upgrades to make it so much better. It's unfortunate that we had to spend all the $$$ to get to where the coach should have been when it left the Monaco factory.

I would definitely encourage anyone with an ill handling rr4r chassis to look into these mods.

Chad
Old 09-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #206

Do you think this would work on a r4r chassis?
jerryjoe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:47 PM   #207

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a "r4r" which I have never heard of I wonder what the difference is between the "r4r" and the RR4R.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:17 AM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjoe55 View Post
Do you think this would work on a r4r chassis?
jerryjoe55, I'm not 100% sure about the chassis being exact, but I believe the difference is in the frame rails. I "think" your chassis has straight frame rails front to back whereas the rr4r chassis has a raised rail (hence the rr) in the middle section to have extra height in the storage area. Don't take that to the bank, but I believe that's the case. If so, then the underpinnings should be the same as the rr4r. However, you've probably read many Monaco coaches are like snowflakes, meaning they're not always the same.

If you could let us know what handling issues you are having and we could help steer you in a direction. Then maybe snap some pics and we may be able to tell how close they are. Please feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to help in anyway I can.

Chad

Tags
chassis, upgrade