Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2013, 06:12 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Roadmaster RR8R Chassis Drawings?

I have a 2005 Endeavor riding on a RR8R chassis. I have the complete set of manuals that came with the unit but nowhere does it show where simple components are located such as the oil filters, fuel filters, air dryers, etc. Do you just have to figure all of this out over a period of time or is there a manual or drawing that shows these component locations? The only thing I can find in my documents is the chassis lube diagram.
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
The short answer is "yes". That is to say, you have to figure it out. The owners manual and other documentation is nominal. They did not create a manual for each coach and much of the manual content is cut and paste from previous years. My 2001 Diplomat had the lube chart for side radiator chassis.

There should be Cummins and Allison manuals (booklets) in your stuff. The Cummins manual will show only the base engine and things like location of fuel filters will not reflect what the assembly line felt like doing on the day your coach was built. The Allison manual will not tell you which sump you have and therefore what filters you need because that's something that is determined by the package options that the coach maker ordered.

It's not a big deal. Take it to a reputable shop for service and have them explain what they did. Record the filter part numbers so that you can replace them on your own if that's your plan for the future.

Appliances and other systems have documentation that varies from good to useless depending on who made them and/or supplied them.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Dave.
I do have the Cummins & Allison booklets but as you stated they don't show where these remote components are located. I can open the side radiator (don't really know what this radiator is for or does) and inside I see the RVA leveling jack components and also 2 what looks to be oil filters. I also know where the air filter is. Other than that I'm pretty much lost. I think my best bet would be to have a service tech show me where all the components are located. There's just a lot more I would like to know about the engine/transmission/chassis systems that is not covered in the manuals.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Your Diplomat is a rear radiator chassis. The side radiator you found is the dash air conditioner condenser.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
You need to join FMCA and a Monaco Club with a rally. You can get lots of advice here, but hands on, seeing, and learning from another experienced owner with a similar coach can't be beat.
Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Bill.....Here are some answers for you:

As said, that radiator, is actually your dash A/C condenser. The two filters against the back wall are your fuel filters. The left one is the primary with drain. On the floor of that bay is the leveling jack hydraulic tank. If it hasn't been done, a support should be added at the back end of the tank that is hanging in the air. If you look forward of that tank, mounted upside down, is your air dryer filter.

Rear engine doors: Behind the right (passenger side) on the far right is access to your oil dipstick and trans fill. Just below them is the hydraulic filter. It's a black can with a "T" handle. When you loosen the handle the lid comes off. You can't see it, but if you reach down into the oil with your hand, you'll find a small filter that should be replaced every 2-3 years.

The left side has your coolant recovery tank. Your coach is about ready for those hoses to be replaced. Under the tank is a painted door that can be removed so you can access the large hose on the bottom of the coolant tank.

Your radiator and Charge Air Cooler (turbo air cooler) are stacked on top of one another in the center of the engine doors. The charge air cooler is the one on top and has larger tubes. The radiator is the unit under it. If you look up to the left, is a small electrical box. There should be a 3 prong 110 volt cord hanging there. That's your block heater. Plug the cord into the box if you want the heater on.

Propane door: If you look in here, you have your propane tank...it's huge and will probably only need a once a year refill. To the right of the tank are some connections that can be used to tap into your propane.

Fuel fill doors: You have fuel filler doors on both sides of the coach that are built into a panel with no latch. Even though there is no latch, both of those panels are hinged and will open upward. You open them by looking under them and removing two screws. The driver's side door, when open, will expose your tank and your fuel sending unit. I use this area for storage. On the other side, there is nothing in there and again, I use this area for storage of things I rarely use, like tire chains.

Power cord door: Obviously, this bay has your power cord and access to your air cleaner. Air cleaners on diesels should NEVER be taken out shaken, knocked on the ground or blown out. Doing so can introduce dirt into the engine. If you take it out, replace it. In that same bay where the cord is located, is a small box on the floor of the wall at the rear of the coach. It has two coax connections and a phone cable connection. One coax is for cable (IN) from a campground. The other is for connecting an external satellite (IN). These are often mislabeled by Monaco and reversed. The phone connection allows you to connect a phone line and power the phone connections in the coach. You also have a large black box against the back wall. That's your transfer switch. It decides if you're using shore power or generator and switches between the two.

Passenger side rear doors: You should have two doors behind the rear wheels on the passenger side. The rear most door is storage and your Magnum Inverter. Get familiar with this. On the side of the Magnum Inverter are two push button circuit breakers. These are typically what blow when the wife turns on the hair dryer while the microwave is running. Almost all power in the coach runs through these two circuit breakers. So if you loose power, check here first, your GFI second and household circuit breakers last.

Battery bay door: Obviously your two starting batteries and your four coach batteries. You should know that when your coach is parked, and on shore power, your engine batteries do not get charged. You can park it for two weeks and find your engine batteries low or dead. If one hasn't been installed, you need to install a Trik-L-Start or Xantrex Echo Charger which will charge your engine batteries while parked on shore power.

There are two large disconnect switches which disconnect both banks of batteries. Against the back wall should be a large black box that has fuses in it for the bedroom slide. I've never had an issue with fuses in this box. There is also a large solenoid against the back wall. This has been problematic for some and will cause loss of power to the coach.

Front Run Bay: This is a term you'll hear a lot. The front run bay under the driver's window holds the majority of the 12 volt fuses for the coach. Remove the cover and there are about 100 fuses. They're labeled on the door panel that you remove, but not well. Often, when you blow a fuse, you need to use a tester to figure out which one.

There is also an automotive solenoid in this box, lower right corner. This is the solenoid for the "salesman switch". When you enter your coach door, there are a series of switches on the dash. Overhead lights, entry step, patio light and a switch that has a bar that requires you to lift to operate the switch. It also has a red light, but is usually burned out. This is the salesman switch. It allows a salesman to turn this switch off and kill everything in the coach when being displayed. You'll find that on occasion, one of you will bump the switch, shut it off and kill everything in the coach. Remember this if nothing works in the coach. This switch is connected to that solenoid we just talked about. The solenoids fail. If it fails on the road, you can run a large wire from the large terminal on one side of the solenoid to the large terminal on the other side. This bypasses the switch and solenoid and will get your electrical back on.

Also in that front run bay is the engine computer and the trans computer. If you look forward, you'll see the window washer tank. There is one more fuse panel that is hidden in the bedroom closet just on the other side of your house circuit breakers. There are bout 30 12 volt fuses here that operate some lights and I think the water pump is there.

Generator Bay: Your generator is on a slide and the slide points should be lubed occasionally. At the front of the generator, against the fiberglass door is the lever mechanism for releasing the generator slide lock. Make sure you occasionally lube this lock.

As you face the front of the coach, there will be some air fittings just to the left of the generator on a support frame. One has a "T" handle and is for draining your front air tank. There is a similar one on the passenger side of your trailer hitch for draining the rear tank. Two tanks for safety in case one fails. They should be drained several times a year.

There is another air connection, mine has a blue cap on it, and is used if you ever need to be towed. The tow truck connects air and airs up your coach for towing. There should be one more connection. This allows you to tap into your air system and use it for filling tires, blowing stuff off etc. It typically doesn't have enough umph to fill your coach tires.

The generator has a circuit breaker on the front. This is the breaker you need to check if the generator is running and you have no power in the coach. You can check the oil and coolant in this same spot.

Lubing: I'm guessing you have the 400 ISL, but some early 05 models had a smaller ISC engine. If you have the ISL, the oil filter is on the driver's side of the motor. There is a large rock shield under your coach (perforated metal) that prevents rocks from being kicked/sucked up and thrown through the radiator. There is just enough room to remove the oil filter, move it over a few inches and drop it down past the screen without spilling.

There are many lube fittings, but the most important are the ones on the driveshaft. These coaches put out so much torque, that it is recommended that the drive shafts be lubed every 5000 miles. There are two zerks on the u-joint. Either zerk will fill the entire u-joint. There is also a zerk on the yoke/slip joint of the drive shaft. This one will seem like it takes a ton of grease, especially if it hasn't been greased in awhile. You can't see it, but there is a hole at the back of the slip joint where it meets the u-joint (in the center). You need to put your finger over this hole while pumping grease into the slip joint zerk. Keep pumping until grease comes out of the seal on the end of the slip joint.

There are zerks in the regular places and on the brake air cans front and rear. Lastly, there are three zerk fittings on the steering column. One that is underneath, one you have to be a contortionist to reach through the generator bay and the last one requires you to take the cover off of the steering column inside the coach to access.

Water bay: Your water bay has the grey and black tank controls, probably a SaniCon macerator system, outdoor shower, water pump and water fill both via a hose or gravity.

There is also a hose connection at the top of the panel that is for flushing your black tank. These have been very problematic. This connection supplies a black tank sprayer that is mounted to your tank on the other side of the coach. These easily get plugged and won't spray. When the tank gets full, it sloshes back into the sprayer, dries and plugs it. You can access this sprayer by opening a panel, similar to the fuel door panels, on the passenger side of the coach. Remove the two screws at the bottom. You'll need a broom handle to hold it open. Once open, you'll see all three tanks. The two waste tanks are on top of the water tank. You'll see the sprayer hose to your left. Many of us, undo the hose connection and take an 1/8" drill and drill down into the sprayer several times to open it up. If you don't, it will just clog again.

Known issues on your coach: Many of us have experienced hearing the low air alarm after putting the coach in gear and driving away. It soon quits and only does it on occasion. It's a bad sensor on the bottom of the parking brake switch. It's an easy repair. A similar alarm my sound on rough roads if your leveler tank is low on fluid.

The low air alarm that you hear while airing up the coach or leveling can make you nuts. Remove the panel over the dash gauges and locate the alarm (rectangular block) Wrap it once or twice with Gorilla tape. It will still be loud enough, but more tolerable.

Note: Make sure you follow the Monaco leveling procedure. Slides out FIRST. Dump air from bags and then level. Front jack has to touch the ground first and then the other two rears pivot off of it. If the front jack isn't extended first, you up your chances of cracking a windshield.

I hope this helps. I know it's a ton of info, but you just got 8 years of ownership in a nutshell. Print it out and keep it handy when a problem arises. If you have any questions, you can contact me via PM or call me.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Diplomat Don!

Very Helpful!!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #8

Diplomat Don, you are the man! What a great education on the RR8R, which I have. He' s right 8 years education in 300 words + or -.
Chuck48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Don
I can't thank you enough for providing this detailed information. I will indeed print this out and keep it in my file for future reference. Some of this information I have gathered by reading the manuals and searching this forum but many items you described are new to me and very helpful to know. One item that wasn't mentioned was the air dryer and filter. Where are these components located?
Thanks again for all the information. I'm sure a lot of folks on this forum really appreciate your effort.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The air dryer and fuel filters are behind the door located next to the driver's side rear tire. It's the door that looks like it has a radiator behind it, which is actually your dash A/C condenser (cooler).
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Don
Got it. Actually these were covered in your first paragraph. I just missed it in my first read. I suspect lots of folks are printing out your excellent summary of the various systems and yes, I do have the ISL 400 engine and have seen some of the components you described. I just didn't know what they were. Thanks again. What a great forum.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:56 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Great job Don...
I do find it strange that the OP's Owners Manual does not have that information. Our manual is VERY specifically for a 2004 Santiam and in section 10 (chassis information) has a 2 page picture of a stripped down chassis showing the location of everything. It's labeled "lubrication chart" which it also covers.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Guys
I found the following link on the Holiday Rambler site which is a PDF file of a complete manual for a 2008 Endeavor which covers all of these systems in detail to include a location diagram. This is very good information that wasn't included in my 2005 manual.

http://holidayrambler.com/StaticFile...20Endeavor.pdf
Old 07-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don,
What a great description of where things are located on a 2005 Diplomat. Just a note of caution to owners of Endeavors and other model years of the Diplomat and Endeavor's Monaco is known to relocate things year to year and depending on where the coach was built. For example on my 06 Endeavor one fuel filter is located behind the AC condenser but the other one is near the oil dip stick behind the right engine door.
Again Thanks Don
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis