RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2009, 03:55 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Roof Ladder Extension - Where to Store?

Since my Dip has a rear radiator, the permanent part of the roof ladder stops about 6' off the ground. Monaco provides an extension piece that you hang from the bottom rung of the permanent part when using the ladder. The problem is what to do with the extension when not in use (most of the time)? It takes up an inordinate amount of space in the one pass-through storage compartment in my coach. The dealer said some owners hang it from a higher step and bungee it in place. On mine this results in the extension sticking out quite far from the back of the coach because of the angle of the lower part of the permanent ladder. Has anybody come up with an elegant solution to this?

Thanks,

Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have an '06 Endeavor and store it on top of the propane tank with the rubber feet down and the hooks toward the road side. I fits well and I don't think it would harm the tank.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
woward....Toss it!. I'm guessing that you carry some type of ladder for doing your windows or emergencies. That's all you need. We carry the Camping World http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...e-ladders/4850 ladder that collapses to 4"x4" x 6'. I mounted one of their 6' sewer storage tubes http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...e-carrier/1405 near the roof of my pass thru bay (side to side) and the ladder fits perfectly inside. It's up and out of the way and easy to access when needed.

You'll no longer need the roof ladder extension once you have a regular ladder.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
vwd

I agree with the previous post. I have been hauling one around for two years and never use it. I always use the seven foot ladder that folds into a square. This winter I was showing off a shelf I had built for the ladder and a friend asked why I carried it and I had no answer. Will be dropping it off at home at the earliest oppotunity. Space is at a premium.
vwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Don. I store mine in the garage in the stick house and use my portable ladder if I need to get on the roof. It's not very stable for us full figure guys anyway.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
woward....Toss it!. I'm guessing that you carry some type of ladder for doing your windows or emergencies. That's all you need. We carry the Camping World http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...e-ladders/4850 ladder that collapses to 4"x4" x 6'. I mounted one of their 6' sewer storage tubes http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...e-carrier/1405 near the roof of my pass thru bay (side to side) and the ladder fits perfectly inside. It's up and out of the way and easy to access when needed.

You'll no longer need the roof ladder extension once you have a regular ladder.
That's even a better idea Don, but don't chuck it or you'll end up giving away a good ladder.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Roof Ladder Extension - Where to Store?

Thanks for the ideas guys. My extension won't fit in the propane bay, it's just too tight a fit. I plan to mount some other storage in there however.

I already have one of those collapsible 7' ladders but haven't worked out where to keep it either. I like the idea of suspending it in a tube if I can figure out how to secure the tube. Both front slide-out mechanisms are in the ceiling of my only full-width bay so I have to figure out how to safely fasten a tube. Then I can retire the ladder extension.

I used to love boats because there was always a project that needed doing. The motor home is a great substitute...

Bill
Old 05-25-2009, 11:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have a picture handy, but I hang my extension from the top rung of the stationary part, and use a velcro strap around the bottom to hold it all together. It keeps the extension out of the way, and makes it convenient to jump up on the roof - like when my awning exploded on I-10!! - easily without having to dig out my folding ladder.

Its not cool or high tech, but it puts the extension out of the way but keeps the convenience of using it.

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:27 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
woward....To be more exact, I screwed the sewer tube to the front wall of the pass through storage bay (as high as I could) so that the ladder still cleared the opening/rubber seal on the door opening.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don,
I do the same as Kev, hang the extension from the top rung on the stationary ladder. This has worked fine in more that 40K miles of travels. It does not take up storage room that I need as a full timer and it is easy to get to.

Bill (Woward)
I found that I could store my sewer hoses in 4" PVC pipe placed at each side of the Propane tank. I did have to do some rerouting of the LP pipe that provides low pressure LP gas to the outlet on the passenger side. But by putting the pipe on either side of the LP tank I am still able to store other stuff on top of the tank. For the folding ladder some have mounted a section of plastic Fence Post to the wall.

itdave is offline   Reply With Quote