Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2016, 02:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Rotten floor in bathroom

Hi folks. I need your help once again. On my 2001 Holiday Rambler Scepter, I just discovered the bath floor is rotted and must be replaced. Does anyone know what the floor joist spacing is ? I have found one joist, but am still searching for another.
monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 02:55 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Might not be an even spacing. Could be just placed where it cleared other items, but still gave enough support.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Probably aligned with your basement compartments. You might try to look up above your Grey and Black tank and see if you can see the spacing.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:43 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Jim someone posted with pictures the replacement of the floor in the kitchen and living room with the slide removed on I think a 99 Windsor, the post was a couple yrs ago on the Monaco forum.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:48 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone. I took out enough OSB to find them. They are 22" on center.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by monacojim View Post
Hi folks. I need your help once again. On my 2001 Holiday Rambler Scepter, I just discovered the bath floor is rotted and must be replaced. Does anyone know what the floor joist spacing is ? I have found one joist, but am still searching for another.
Since your flooring was installed before the walls, your joists are probably not equally spaced ( like house ) You will need to cut out the entire damaged area. Hopefully the joist is not rotten and the water damage does not extend beyond the bath area. If you can only find one joist support, there is a way to use that one joist as the total support and replace the cut out area with new sheeting. Using the one joist, add lateral tag joists for the entire cut out area. Mark where each tag joist meets the wall and lay in the new floor sheet. Using deck screws, screw the flooring to all the tag joist with 6" spacing. This will pull up the tag joists, creating a solid block. Use liquid nail construction glue around the butt edges of the new sheeting. if the floor is still not solid, use flat steel plates along the edges of the cut out. You may have to be creative but it should be a satisfactory solution.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Solution found while I was typing cause I type too slow. Good luck with your repair...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:59 PM   #8

Monacojim, I'm going to be cutting a section of water damaged flooring tomorrow in my 09 Safari. Can you tell me if there's one sheet of 3/4 waffle (chip) board attached to the joist support, or is there a sub-floor underneath? Anyone else with knowledge on this, please chime in. Thank you!
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:49 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Any chance you folks could post some photos of the repairs as you go along? I haven't had to repair my floor (...yet...) but am very curious to learn about what's under there.

Thanks!
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVluvin View Post
Monacojim, I'm going to be cutting a section of water damaged flooring tomorrow in my 09 Safari. Can you tell me if there's one sheet of 3/4 waffle (chip) board attached to the joist support, or is there a sub-floor underneath? Anyone else with knowledge on this, please chime in. Thank you!
There is a 1/2" chip board (OSB) over the joists, 1 1/2" styrofoam insulation, and 1/8" luann board under the insulation. To repair, I added additional cross members and replaced the OSB with plywood. I bought 1 1/2" square steel tubing to match existing cut to correct length ($6) and had "ears" welded on each end ($20) with 1/4' holes drilled on each side, then used self tapping screws to attach to existing framework. Sorry, I did not take any pictures.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monacojim View Post
There is a 1/2" chip board (OSB) over the joists, 1 1/2" styrofoam insulation, and 1/8" luann board under the insulation. To repair, I added additional cross members and replaced the OSB with plywood. I bought 1 1/2" square steel tubing to match existing cut to correct length ($6) and had "ears" welded on each end ($20) with 1/4' holes drilled on each side, then used self tapping screws to attach to existing framework. Sorry, I did not take any pictures.
Sorry folks, I have brain damage brought on by severe aging and Chardonnay. It is 3/4 chipboard.