Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Sitting here looking at routes to get to QZ and going from Sacramento to Needles, then down Hwy 95 looks like it may be the best bet for a one day drive. Keeps us away from the LA area and possibly out of the traffic mess.
Is anyone familiar with going this way or do you skirt LA some other way??
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sitting here looking at routes to get to QZ and going from Sacramento to Needles, then down Hwy 95 looks like it may be the best bet for a one day drive. Keeps us away from the LA area and possibly out of the traffic mess.
Is anyone familiar with going this way or do you skirt LA some other way??
Old 01-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
SACS....you can cut off on the 210 as you come into the San Fernando Valley and it takes you around LA. As I remember, it goes all the way to the 215, where you drop south to the 10East...you are then on the far side of LA heading out towards Palm Springs...the advantage as I see it is it's all 4 or 6 lane freeway....95 is all 2 lane.....either way it's a full days drive from SAC...
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #4

This is the route we take. The extension of 210 past Pomona is fairly new. Pay attention as you get to where you will be joining Interstate 10. The off ramps are not necessarily where you think they would be. GPS is best, or map out your route in advance. It seems you hit the 15 before the 10. Get a recent map. Our 2005 Streets and Trips doesn't show the new freeway. Good luck.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
SACS---You could also take 99 south to Bakersfield and then 58 to Mojave. From Mojave you would take 40 to Needles and then a short trip down 95 to the 10. You have good roads all the way with only one climb on 58 going up the Tehachapi grade. Multiple lane roads most of the way.

2009 Camelot QDP 40ft.
Duffy's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Sacs,

The 210 is complete now all the way to San Bernadino. We take 5 to 134 (210) to 30 down to 10. 210 will not show all of the way in you navigator, since it was just completed.

In Blythe, there is a free dump station with good fresh water, just off the freeway, south on Lovekin exit at Miller Park.

Blythe also has an Albertson's.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sacs'

The 210 would be very slow in Pasadena. I would go with Duffy's dad. A lot shorter and 95 is Ok from needles.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Sacs to answer your question about the 95, We have traveled the I95 south from Needles to CAL62 to Parker, AZ this is a truck route so it can get busy with trucks in a hurry, then take AZ 95 south to the camp ground. The road has some washes and so a few dips, we take this route with the toy hauler because we stay out of the big hills when going to Laughlin and this time of year you don't want to go near the London bridge and the snowbird traffic in Lake Havasu.
If you need some stops there is a restaurant in town before you get to 62 and some more once you get into Parker just across the river.

See you in a few days.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Sacs, I always try to avoid the L.A. Metro area if all possible! The only time I’ll go through there with my rig is between 2 to 5am. I my self, being a farm boy from Iowa where meeting 5 cars in 20 miles is heavy traffic, always take 58 east to 40 east. I then use route 95 south of Needles to 62 east to Parker Az. These are all good roads but make sure you have enough fuel before leaving Barstow and smile as you look at the fuel prices as you drive past Ludlow and Needles! Book2
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sacs,
Since we are from Southern Calif and are currently stay in Bakersfield we are very familiar with all the routes mentioned. First taking 5 to 210 to 10 will be the quickest and about the the worst traffic you will hit is on 5 between Magic Mountain and the exit to 210. If you can hit that area and the 210 before 1pm you will not have much problem. Hitting the 210 after 3pm could result in heavy traffic. So long as you are clear of San Bernardino before 4 pm I think you will clear sailing. Taking the 210 all the way to the 10 is easier that using the 57 from the 210 to 10 (The ramps and merges are a PITA).

Regardless of the heavy traffic you could hit at the wrong time of day I would still use this route. 58 is fine but some of it is 2 lane and you can hit some high winds. I don;t know anything about 62 but I can tell you that you will add at least 2 hours to your trip going that way.

Either way you chose have a safe trip
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:33 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Sacs and MM--
The suggestion from Luke and Kathy regarding Blythe and the dump is a great one. There is also lots of grass there to walk the pups! We always stop there to walk the mastiffs on our way to Southern Calif dog shows

Drive safe regardless of the route!
mom2mastiffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:29 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Which 95 are you planning on using?

US-95, on the California side, is pretty much a straight shot from Needles to Blythe.

AZ-95, on the Arizona side, is probably a bit more scenic, but is much slower because you have to go through both Lake Havasu City and Parker.

Either one will get you to Quartzsite, though, so the choice is yours. (We usually travel US-95 since it's quicker.)
Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The 210 would be very slow in Pasadena. I would go with Duffy's dad. A lot shorter and 95 is Ok from needles. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
First, thanks to everyone that replied..There are only about 4 different routes that get us down there and got responses on the two we were considering..
The above quote is just exactly the way I was thinking. Never did like LA traffic. All it takes is one fender bender and the traffic is a mess.
Actually, cutting across at Bakersfield is more miles, not shorter, but we have been that route several times and it is a good highway. It only adds about 30 minutes to the overall trip, so I think we are going that way.
Again, thanks for the thoughts.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">SACS---You could also take 99 south to Bakersfield and then 58 to Mojave. From Mojave you would take 40 to Needles and then a short trip down 95 to the 10. You have good roads all the way with only one climb on 58 going up the Tehachapi grade. Multiple lane roads most of the way.

Duffy's Dad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sacs/MM
We have often gone the route above. Last trip, however, we used 99, 58, and then cut south on 138 through Lancaster/Palmdale, then picked up I-15 south to the split and took I-215 to I-10. Only traffic hassle (besides accidents and LA drivers) is the conector to I-10 and you don't have to do much lane changing. Well marked.
When are you heading down? We haven't left yet. The new coach is back at Village RV waiting for a controller board so our slide will open!!! Hopefully, we'll get on the road Thursday or Friday. We split the trip into two days and will stay at Elks Clubs either in Wasco or Palmdale. If we get going before the weekend we'll stop at the Blythe Bluegrass Festival before heading over to Q. Either way, we'll see you in Q.
CoolJudy
CoolJudy is offline   Reply With Quote