Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #1

Run TV cable from front to slide

Hi all,
My wife and I are the proud new owners of a 2003 Monaco Windsor 40PST, and we're tackling some renovations pretty quickly. I'm a hobbyist woodworker, so I'm building an desk/entertainment center for the TV to replace the sofa on the kitchen (passenger) slide, so we can get rid of the old Sony CRT and the "head-knocker" cabinet.

I've got most things planned out in my head (and the TV and sofa removed), but I'm wondering about how to get the TV signal to the slide. I can see how all the wiring and plumbing gets into the slide (inside the wall between the kitchen and the shower) but how do I get the TV signal to there? Any recommendations?

Some ideas so far:
1) run the cable down the curb side A pillar (haven't opened it yet), under the bus, into the storage space, and up into that shower wall, and into the slide.
2) alternately try from the bedroom TV, and run down the space behind the washer and follow the water lines behind the cabinets and under the shower (note there is no bedroom slide on the curb side for our model so it is a straight shot).

Anyone done this, or have any other suggestions for this?
Thanks for any advice you can give!
Jason.
jreich888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You could buy a wireless HDMI repeater. Do a search, there's been a few recent threads about them.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #3

I agree with wide glide

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I also agree.

If you don't want to go the wireless route the best routing that I can think of is to tap off the cable connection that is in the basement and then just route it up through the same hole the plumbing goes to the slide, you should be able to access it in the small bay where the inverter & water manifold is.

I tried to route a wire from back to front for my Brakemaster indicator light. Many hours with a snake and multiple attempts forced be to route it along the path of the driver slide drive shaft mechanism. I ended up tying it out of the way with zip ties. It worked but it wasn't (isn't) pretty.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:49 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Are you going to use a roof mount sat or go to a portable set up like the Dish Tailgator? If roof sat, I have no clue but if portable set up, you would have a short run from the wet bay cable hook up and then you could split the signal to the bedroom tv by running a new cat 6 cable thru the water tank area or any bay that you can see thru. I then routed the new cable up beside the washer drain pipe, behind the washer and into the bedroom tv cabinet. If your tv cabinet is next to the washer cabinet just drill a small hole thru the cabinets. I went behind the pocket door. I eliminated all the old tech hardware in the driver overhead component cabinet. I only kept the Bose system. I COULDN'T make ant sense of all those wires.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I tried an Actiontec HDMI extender to get HD signal to the bedroom tv and it works great. There is a little signal latency but we only watch one tv at a time so it is no problem. I have read that there are other models that do not have as much delay but they cost more.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #7

Thanks all for the suggestions. We have a roof-top satellite dish at the moment, but no receiver, but we want to be ready to support that in the future if we decide to get that. Still lots of things up in the air, and we're not sure exactly how we'll use it all. We don't have anything with HDMI in the coach yet, but I do want to have the option of using the batwing antenna to get local news, etc. And of course, if we're in a park with cable, then support the cable connection in the wet bay.

BTW, no plans to use the TV in the back, we don't watch TV in bed, so just focusing in the front.

Adam, I agree about the connections in the overhead front cabinets, I can't quite figure it out, but plan to get rid of most of it. The new TV has a digital tuner and am going to put a bluray in the entertainment center, so all we need is the feed from the batwing, wet bay, and potentially from the satellite for live TV. That's it, simple right? Once I get done with the flooring (right now replacing carpet with laminate) I'll get on the entertainment system and figure out the cables.

Maybe I'm crazy, and should forget all that, and just take an old VCR with me. At least you can buy tapes cheap!

Jason.
jreich888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had a broken tv cable in the ceiling to the rear tv - I ran a new cable from the ceiling cabinet through the dash (existing hole) then in the frame to the rear. a fish slid front to rear easily. Not a bad job just time. When fishing inside I foung foam in the access holes - removed ran wire and refoamed. Just remember to leave a coil of wire for slide movement.
Leaving the cable connections all in the front I can still use the switch too change tv soarce's
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:23 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Jason, I put my TV on a remote controlled motorized lift behind the couch on the driver's side. I ran the cables from the front over-dash cabinets down the doorpost, down the center above the storage bay ceilings, through a PVC pipe that moves in and out with the slide and carries the AC cables, through the bottom of the cabinets under the kitchen table & chairs, finally out behind the couch. It's a time-consuming job but well worth the effort!

I know that my floor plan is different as we have recliners behind the co-pilot's chair and then the kitchen slide. On the driver's side we have the large slide with the couch and dining table & chairs.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide