Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #1

running furnace on battery

Just bought an '06 Monaco Dynasty with AquaHot. Made it through storage in Florida this winter, but for future winters...stored in facility with no electric. If batteries are charged up, can I fire up the aqua hot, turn on zone furnace on low temperature and have it run some overnight without having dead batteries in the morning? For the few times it is really cold in Florida, I don't want to winterize the system if possible.
Thanks
msully is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #2

You certainly can.... I up'd the anty on my MH by adding a solar system this year. The batteries get that total recharge everyday and it saves me so many hassles that I would never consider having another MH without a decent solar system.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:36 AM   #3

The AquaHot installation manual says it can draw as much as 15.33 amps. Each heat exchanger, while actually delivering heat, draws about 2 amps. Also, each zone pump, while actually delivering heat, draws about 2 amps. The diesel burner draws about 5 amps, while burning.

Your Dynasty most likely has at least a 400 amp-hour battery, and based upon the above, you can expect a load of roughly 4 amps per zone, while actually delivering heat to the zone and roughly 5 amps to the burner, while it is actually burning. I don't know where the 15 amp number on the nameplate comes from, unless the 5 amp figure that they cite for the burner doesn't include the ignitor and the fuel pump. But even delivering significant heat, the burner only runs about seven or eight minutes, occasionally, to keep the reservoir hot. If your batteries are healthy, you should be fine for a night or two.

These AquaHots are truly an awesome way to heat a coach, and deliver domestic water at the same time.

One thing you should note. Your front zone requires the fan under the kitchen counter to be manually set to run on low, medium or high speed, and it runs all the time, whether delivering heat or not. It's a bit much for this response to include the detailed how of it, but we had Monaco put a relay in the ground circuit for that fan module and control it from the zone pump connection on the AquaHot so that the fan only runs when the zone is actually calling for heat.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, furnace