Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #1

Running new coax for TV

Okay our coach came wired with one coax from outside in wet bay up through the coach
( goodness only knows where it goes!!) and then somehow to control box in cabinet over windshield and is hooked up to our sat receiver box. However it then prevents us from using cable when its available.

The easiest way we thought was to run a new coax dedicated for cable. Well that seems easier said than done. We have been all over the inside of the dash looking for opening to bring it in from the outside to no avail. Once we get it inside then running it up to the cabinet and hiding it isn't an issue. We thought we could bring it in thru the hole for the electric controls for the mirrors but can't even see that hole inside.

We have considered an A/B switch but can't fond what Ron thinks we need..

So if you own a 2000 Dynasty or similar age coach how did you over come this??
We have no plans to ever put a roof mount sat receiver on the rig as our portable is just fine for us to use
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You should have a selector box in one of the cabinets. The selector box has outputs to the front, rear and outside tv. The inputs are from the satellite, tv antenna, cable and DVD player. If you don't have one. Let me know. I have a spare you can have.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #3

Never say always, in these coaches. I don't think any two are alike. But, I would expect the coax that runs from the wet bay will go to a switch plate somewhere in the upper front of your rig. The switch plate will have a tiny button and an LED, and possible a coax fitting or a 12V receptacle on the front of it, as well. That plate should be the same size and color as the outlet and switch plates in your home. The back of that plate will most likely have three coaxes coming off of it. One should be from the wet bay, for cable TV when available. A second should be from the "over the air" antenna that you likely have on your roof, operated by a round knob on your ceiling, somewhere. The third should go to whatever equipment you have in your rig for receiving TV signals. The reason for that switch plate to exist is that the cable input is a much higher level signal than what comes from the over-the-air TV antenna. The button, when pressed in, should light the LED and insert an amplifier in the line for your over-the-air signals. At the same time, it switches the source between the cables coming from the wet bay and the roof antenna. I would expect you to be able to find this in a cabinet above one of the two front seats, or in the cabinetry across the front of the coach.

It is possible that a previous owner may have re-assigned that coax to pass satellite signals from an outside ground mounted dish to the dish receiver, and if that's the case, you will need to get it back to the amplifier/switch unit I mentioned above, if you want to be able to bring cable TV in via that port. From a convenience standpoint, unfortunately you do need to press the button on that switch plate to toggle between "over-the-air" and cable TV inputs.

There is a small device called a diplexer (not a duplexer) that you can get to allow you to run VHF/UHF TV and cable signals along with satellite input signals on the same coax, at the same time. RG59 TV type coax is not well suited for satellite signals, but it will work for relatively short distances. You will need one of them at each end of the coax run. So if you do want to use your external satellite dish and need to get it between two points that a coax currently runs, that is a fantastic and easy way to get that done without stringing another coax.

You could put one in the wet bay, with the satellite coming into one input and the cable coming into the other. Then, at the switch plate, you could split it back out so that the VHF/UHF output goes into the cable input on the switch plate, and the DISH output goes on to your dish receiver. I suspect that if the outside receptacle is currently going directly to the satellite receiver, you will probably find a connector behind the switch plate that connects those two pieces of coax. If you are using a multiple LNB satellite dish, the diplexer may or may not work. It will depend on how the control power is sent to the LNB's over the coax. If it will work for you, it is a great solution.

Now, I don't know if what you have is even close to what I am envisioning you to have, but if so, maybe you can sort out what I've shared and make some sense of it. Good luck to you! We have done a ton of modification to the cable/over-the-air/satellite wiring in our '06 Dynasty, and currently have a great working system. We got lucky!!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #4

We have the switch plate in the cabinet. On the back are only 2 connecters. One is marked to antenna, the other is marked to bedroom. It must have been replaced because the date says 2005. Both have coax attached. On the front of the plate there is also a 12v cigarette type outlet and a silver coax fitting. Of course it has the light and the on/off button to push for the antenna.
We have a selector box with 3 groups of buttons
Left set is marked TV1. 3 buttons . L is ANT, middle is AUX, R is marked VCR
Middle set is labeled VCR and has 2 buttons. L is ANT, R is AUX
Right set is marked TV2 and has 3 buttons. L is ANT, middle is AUX, R is VCR.

The sat receiver is currently hooked up to the center set of buttons marked VCR. On that set buttons the one marked AUX must be pushed in for signal to go thru so we assume that it is wired to that AUX button on that set of buttons.

This is how the tech at the dealership hooked it up when we purchased it.
Hopefully this makes sense.
Is it possible it just all needs to be hooked up different?? Keep in mind we do not subscribe to HDTV reception and have only a DVD player, no recorders or other equipment from DirecTV.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:08 PM   #5

In thinking about this we can't be unique. Obviously the coach was built before the onset of RV connections to Sat TV. So there must thousands of rigs our age who have solved the problem.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, first I'd move the existing cable to the CABLE IN jack on your multi box then run a new coax,, Quality RG-6.. Here is the path if your rig is a Gasser.

Out the cabinet and along any handy trim to the "A" pillar (this is the first NON GLASS part of your RV, Down the A pillar till you can shoot it under the dash.. Out via any handy grommet or foam filled opening (you can punch through the foam with a phillips screwdriver and push the coax through the hole) to the front of the fire wall.. Down to the frame rails and along the frame to wherever you want to put the conector (Same bay as park cable would be my choice) then up through either the floor of the compartment or.. In many cases you can come in between two compartments and through the side.

This is, as it turns out, way easier to do than it sounds.. Once you have the cable in place do not forget to label it, Both ends

SAT-ANTENNA on the Indoor end

SAT IN on the outdoor end.

Alternative mounting for a Gasser

Mine was a bit easier.. I put a ground block on the Brake Bell Crank Bracket under the hood.. So the park cable hooks up in the rear, the sat (if I ever put another receiver up front) under the hood.

Diesels... You are on your own for how to get from inside to outside but I'll bet there is a speedometer cable bushing or other wire harness you can sneak out beside.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #7

It's A DP. Have been looking for ways to get in all day.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a 2000 Holiday Rambler DP. I replaced the block in the electrical bay, ran a new cable all the way under coach to the front fuse bay next to driver floor. Ran it up through floor and snaked it up through where dash meets window trim. It wasn't that hard.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
We have a 2000 Holiday Rambler DP. I replaced the block in the electrical bay, ran a new cable all the way under coach to the front fuse bay next to driver floor. Ran it up through floor and snaked it up through where dash meets window trim. It wasn't that hard.
Can you be more specific about the term "block" in electric bay???
Old 09-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #10

Does this help?
http://www.tv4rv.com/wiring.pdf
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #11

cable

there should be another cable coiled up in the centre tunnel, most had cable for pass side outside TV, have a look in the tunnel and there is likely a lead marked TV3 in the overhead.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The junction box the cable screws into. You could put it anywhere for that matter, and leave the old one.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
there should be another cable coiled up in the centre tunnel, most had cable for pass side outside TV, have a look in the tunnel and there is likely a lead marked TV3 in the overhead.

Moxy
By the tunnel do you up in the cabinet??
If not where's "the tunnel"???
Old 09-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
By the tunnel do you up in the cabinet??
If not where's "the tunnel"???
in the roof of the storage bays there is a tunnel that all wiring, cable, hoses run, there are a few removable panels you can remove.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote