Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV leans when parked and dumped?

With the slides in and the air fully dumped on a level concrete pad, the coach leans to the curbside. The road side wheel wells (front and back) are 1&1/2 inches higher than the curb side. I hold the dump switch down and pump the brakes until I can't hear any air escaping and even keep pumping. When the bags are aired it sits almost level. It has the 8 bag roadmaster. What should I look for? Thanks for any help!
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It sounds like one of your rear dump valves is plugged. Have someone press the dump switch, and look for the rear dump valve that is working. You'll hear the air escaping from it. Once you find it, you should be able to find the other one. It might possibly be as simple as the hose plugged.

Good luck.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
DO NOT Dump and be under the coach!!! If you want to check under the coach, raise the coach as high as you can get it then put 2x6 blocks between the frame and the coach body. That way when you dump the air the body will not go any lower than the blocks!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
DO NOT Dump and be under the coach!!! If you want to check under the coach, raise the coach as high as you can get it then put 2x6 blocks between the frame and the coach body. That way when you dump the air the body will not go any lower than the blocks!
I'm not too crazy about that plan either. I'd rather see those blocks under the tires.

I agree with the idea of the plugged/inop dump valve. If you do your own work it shouldn't be hard to isolate which one.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't think that you'll have to go under the coach at all. I believe there should be two air dump valves in the back of the coach just inside the rear engine door. They may be mounted side by side. By having someone press the air dump switch, that will let you hear where the air is being released back there. If only one of the valves is dumping air, then look for the reason why the other one is not dumping air.

There should be a small hose hanging down from the valve for the air to blow out through. Sometimes a piece of mud or 'the friendly little critters' will get up inside those small hoses and plug them up.

If the hose is not plugged, then there's the possibility that the valve needs to be replaced.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Well if I use a mat and get under our Dyn it is only one place I can get mashed and that is where the front steps are, I understand safety and dont want to do anything to hurt this old boy but we seam to go overboard on this one subject. At the time I checked our Dyn for clearance I was 236 lb and about 6 ft+ ( now about 215#) so I am not real small. If I wanted to check my two dunp valves I would have no problem crawling under there to check them.
Flame away.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
All my air valves, dump, raise, lower, travel are attached to two manifolds. One is in the front and the other one is in the center just in front of the transmission. If my coach is lowered all the way to the ground then I will need a trip to the hospital! So, I stand by my post of using blocks between the frame and the coach body, at least on my coach. Not all coaches are created the same so each needs to do whatever they need to do in order to be safe.

Also, I speak from experience as I recently had a tag axle dump problem and had a big truck shop check it out. Their method of using the blocks between the axle frame and the body worked just great and gave the tech a lot of clearance to investigate the problem.

BTW... the problem is still not repaired but we know what makes the left side of the coach sit on the tires... I just won't push the tag axle button until I find the solution and fix it.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
This may be a silly suggestion, but could you have a weight distribution issue (I.e. more weight on one side?). Might not show when aired, but could show when air is dumped? A 4-corner weigh of the rig could tell you.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:16 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The electric air dump switch on the dashboard operates an electric solenoid air valve called a MAC valve. It's a small inexpensive little electric air valve. In this application, its sole purpose is to release air from the air bags on demand of the dashboard air dump switch.

These MAC valves are usually mounted at about waist height. There should be two just behind the rear engine door for the two rear air bags. There should be one just inside the front generator door for the two front air bags.

When you press the dashboard air dump switch, if the front end of the coach will not lower, then usually the one front MAC valve is malfunctioning. If the coach leans over, then usually one of the rear MAC valves is malfunctioning.

It does not involve crawling underneath the coach.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
The electric air dump switch on the dashboard operates an electric solenoid air valve called a MAC valve. It's a small inexpensive little electric air valve. In this application, its sole purpose is to release air from the air bags on demand of the dashboard air dump switch.

These MAC valves are usually mounted at about waist height. There should be two just behind the rear engine door for the two rear air bags. There should be one just inside the front generator door for the two front air bags.

When you press the dashboard air dump switch, if the front end of the coach will not lower, then usually the one front MAC valve is malfunctioning. If the coach leans over, then usually one of the rear MAC valves is malfunctioning.

It does not involve crawling underneath the coach.
Maybe yours is this way but my coach uses a different system and I expect so does a 2008 coach. I MUST crawl under the coach to reach the rear manifold where the rear valves are located. My system is a HWH. There is no dump switch on my dash, I do have a dump button on my leveling system.

The OP will need to locate his brand/type of system and determine where they are located.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I totally ignored the fact that the OP's coach was a 2008. I didn't realize that the dump valves would be underneath the coach. My apologies.

I am in absolute total agreement about working under a coach.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think I've solved my problem. I had two problems the first was that I have a slow leak somewhere around the curbside air bags, and the the second was ignorance. I was holding the dump switch down (with the ignition off) while pumping the brakes and letting the air out of the air tank. Because I had a leak the curbside went down as soon as I emptied the tank. When I dumped correctly (ignition key on), both sides went down together and I'm level side to side.
My leak takes 5-6 days to show up with the air tank full which seems to be acceptable. Monaco said that if it were under warranty it would have to leak down overnight to be considered a correctable problem. I'm satisfied and thanks to all for your input. Merry Christmas!
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote