Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2019, 05:27 AM   #29

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
[QUOTE=jmck1737;4934967]We had JC put in a 120 volt unit in our dometic on July 1st. So far it is great. Had several very hot days this summer and the temp stayed in the mid 30/s which is a huge improvement over the old 2 way fridge. We went with the JC due to reputation and not having to have any of the wood work redone.

Just to add one thing; we do not boondock much so the 120 volt was our choice. When traveling this summer we could have the fridge off power for several hours without it dropping more than a few degrees. We then would run the Generator for a while to both cool off the fridge and run the AC in the MH to cool us off. It has worked well so far this summer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2019, 05:40 AM   #30
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I also had a large wiring bundle on one side and 120 plugs on the other side that interfered. The plug ins were pretty easy I just removed the non inverted one then trimmed the cover plate on the inverted one so I could put it all the way back against the side wall. The wiring bundle just needed a little massaging. If needed you could cut ties and flatten the bundle out against the wall without really needing to relocate any wires. My residential is awesome and the only cost since I did it myself was the fridge at $1100.00 (found it at an overstock warehouse). My GE GWE19JSS runs perfectly on an MSW Inverter and other than removing the storage drawers under the Norcold and building a platform required no cabinet modifications. You can see some pictures in my Blog listed in my Signature.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:12 AM   #31

SegwayGuy, don't limit yourself to Residential Refrigerators, I just installed an Isotherm Cruise 219 (2 way electric) compressor Refrigerator to replace my POS 3 way Dometic. It has a DanFoss compressor just like many residential models. Isotherm also makes a larger one the Cruise 271 (9.6cuft), https://www.indelwebastomarine.com/u...pright-silver/. You can get one at Defender Marine, https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1770243. I like the design of the Isotherm because the freezer is a perfect size. I would rather have more Refrigerator than freezer. I love my Isotherm, I only have it set at 3.5 of 7 settings and it works exceptionally well even in the 100s and with sunshinng on the Refrigerator wall. I did close off my vents so there is no more exposure to the outside. No more worries about the Refrigerator temperature or moving the settings because of the outside temps. I wish I would have gotten rid of that Dometic years ago. I don't know the size of your Refrigerator but here is a comparison chart that shown the types of refrigerators available as replacements by size and other factors. Also if you are a boondocker, Isotherm makes a Smart Energy Controller, https://www.indelwebastomarine.com/u...nergy-control/, that reduces consumption by nearly 50%. The Cruise 271s Current Draw: is Compressor Running: 6.0 Amp @ 12 Volt DC (half at 24 Volt DC) for an average: 2.3 - 2.5 Amp @ 12 Volt DC. It operates on either 115/230vac or 12/24vdc and switches automatically with shore power as the first preference. I can say that mine runs equally well on DC or AC, temperatures never fluctuate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190723_174256-700x900.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	258578  
Old 09-05-2019, 01:15 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
Here is a photo of my 12v install there is no theremister I can see. The Norcold had a theremister on the 5th fin from the right (see mark on fin where thermeister was located, about 1/2 way down the fin). The only wire I see is to power the fan. See photo.

Mine works very well. Freezer is 0 and keep the fridge at 32.
Is yours a domedic in the picture?

I received an email from JC to move my fans all the way to the right. So I will do that when I get home from work...I see yours are centered so I'm sure if it will do the trick. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Norcold 1200 thanks for the info on the fan
Old 09-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
SSTraveler, the Isotherm Cruise marine refrigerators are a nice option. The issue is many of us are trying to replace a Norcold 1200 series that is a large 4-door RV refrigerator. Most of the Isotherm marine refrigerators are much smaller. Even the larger 271 series is only 9.7 CF and about 1/2 the size.

A Samsung RF18 fits well in the Norcold cabinet in width and depth, but it is 5" taller. That was not an issue in our coach. There is a new GE refrigerator that is shorter and some of the folks are now using it.
The other factor is cost and shipping. The RF18 is usually on sale for $995 with free shipping. The delivery guys even carried into the motor home for me. The marine refrigerators are well over $2000 with shipping.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 03:47 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
Norcold 1200 thanks for the info on the fan
I would put the fans where the fins are cold. My fins on the right side are cold. your fridge is doing great so I would leave them along...I'm just hoping for the performance you have.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
I would put the fans where the fins are cold. My fins on the right side are cold. your fridge is doing great so I would leave them along...I'm just hoping for the performance you have.

If you cool the refer to quick or too much it will leave the freezers warm. Refer is cooled first.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:24 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
If you cool the refer to quick or too much it will leave the freezers warm. Refer is cooled first.
I had understood that the freezer section cools first then the refrigerator section. That's the way it seems to work on my Nocold 1200.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:25 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Another Update: Moving the fans didn't do anything to improve the lack of cooling. So JR should be shiping another unit tomorrow. As I said, stuff happens in manufacturing and I was just hoping I wasn't the one it happened to. As most everyone here has attested I believe they make a good product or I wouldn't have bought it. I'm sure in a little over a week I will be posting that my fridge works great.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:44 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Another Update: Moving the fans didn't do anything to improve the lack of cooling. So JR should be shiping another unit tomorrow. As I said, stuff happens in manufacturing and I was just hoping I wasn't the one it happened to. As most everyone here has attested I believe they make a good product or I wouldn't have bought it. I'm sure in a little over a week I will be posting that my fridge works great.
Do let us know!
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:43 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
OK, after running all night the fridge only cooled down two degrees total...to 38. JC Fridge is sending a new unit out this morning. It was installed by a pro and I will watch the removal to make sure it was put in correctly...So I will update after the new one is installed.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #41

Arrow

Quote:
OK, after running all night the fridge only cooled down two degrees total...to 38. JC Fridge is sending a new unit out this morning. It was installed by a pro and I will watch the removal to make sure it was put in correctly...So I will update after the new one is installed.
Look for the thermalmastic compound to have been squashed evenly over the entire plates. If it didn't nest right, foam not trimmed to allow the unit to go all the way in, you'll see a side of the plates that the mastic is still thick.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:25 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Look for the thermalmastic compound to have been squashed evenly over the entire plates. If it didn't nest right, foam not trimmed to allow the unit to go all the way in, you'll see a side of the plates that the mastic is still thick.
Thank you, I will. It's not do to arrive in Phoenix until the 12th...next Thursday, so hopefully next Friday or Saturday it will be done and by Sunday I will be dancing with delite. Fingers Crossed

Tags
compressor, fridge