Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2007, 07:26 AM   #1

I am looking at a 2000 Safari Sahara, length 33'. Does anyone have any information about this model and floorplan that would be helpful in my decision making process. Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2007, 07:26 AM   #2

I am looking at a 2000 Safari Sahara, length 33'. Does anyone have any information about this model and floorplan that would be helpful in my decision making process. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #3

Check out this link:

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/f...d/tid/8120.cfm

I'd suggest "googling" for "Safari Sahara handling".

My buddy (he and I both former Safari Trek owners) bought this coach. It's a really nice coach (with traditional Safari interior wood craftsmanship), BUT,

We reserached and knew before the purchase it would have handling issues. On top of being a short DP, it is further hampered by poor weight distribution. The "torsilastic" (i.e. torsion) suspension works pretty good. Without modifications, the coach is hard to handle, especially with crosswinds and cornering.

Before my buddy bought, we identified some modifications and he has since done them.

The coach had ~500lb ballast weights up front when he bought it. He also added Tiger Tracks to better secure the front/rear axles to the chassis. He's now looking at a steering stabilizer and Koni shocks.

I think it will be OK when he gets it sorted out.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:33 AM   #4

First, sorry for late reply. Was it the Alpine 34 you did all the mods to? This surprises me as I had a 1999 36' Alpine (very long wheel base for unit length) and it handled well. Always wondered about 34'. Did not continue pursuing the short Safari as owner got unhappy when I asked about his bottom line price. Having owned and sold these things, what one wants and others are willing to give is a wide gulf. Thanks for your input. I will use in future considerations.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:05 AM   #5

No, the Alpine 34' is a great handling coach. I understand WRV added ballast weight to the 34' to achieve their target weight distribution.

The mods were done to the Safari and my buddy is happy with the results.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:59 AM   #6

Thanks. Figured the Alpine was probably done right. Their Peak chassis is awesome. Seems a lot of the diesel pushers did to be ballasted. My Discovery was an entirely different handling machine when the water tank was full (better handling versus empty).

Will keep your observations in mind as I looks at short WB diesel pushers.

Richard