Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #1

Safari Trek

Is anyone here a past or present Trek owner?
N.J. Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #2

Yep... Bought a new 2430 6.5 Diesel in 1995, sold it and bought a used 1999 2830 gasser two years ago when the '95 had 137,000 miles. Check the Trek Tracks website http://www.nwtfc.com/forum/ for lots of information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.J. Lefty View Post
Is anyone here a past or present Trek owner?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #3

George, I've been on Trek Tracks since last year.
N.J. Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:32 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My first motorhome was a 1997 Trek. I think it was the 2430 model, which was a 24' 7.4 litre GM gas engine. I really liked this little motorhome. The primary reason I sold it was my wife's handicap became to much to handle getting in and out of the bed that came down from the ceiling. When it was all the way down it was still too much of a problem for her to get up and down from the mattress.

They were really well built. All aluminum skin, and had qualities of many high end coaches.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
just traded in my gulf stream sun voyager for 2008 Trek. 30 ft easier to drive and lets me put golf cart in front of Trek in rv barn. Traveled from Oregon to Tucson AZ to get Trek. Lots of features and build much better.
c124driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #6

We've had our 2008 Safari Trek about 4 years now. We're enjoying it immensely .... it is so maneuverable and can fit in the smallest of RV spaces when necessary. We travel most winters from Oregon down to Arizona ... really love Tucson. Haven't browsed IRV2 forums in many months as we spend all our time on the Trek specific forum Trek Tracks. Gotta spend more time here !
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi ED and Cheryl, Looks like we have the same model and year. Have you tried to access the engine from removable cover between driver and passenger seats? Also have you located the fuel filter location. We traded larger gas rv in Tucson a few months ago. I am hands on type and do my own maintenance. We live in Sutherlin short ways off I-5 exit #136 west on hwy 138 about a mile. I will be taking my wife to biological dentist in Newport 10th thru 12 July. Stan & Connie King 541 315 2351
c124driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #8

We had a 28 feeter '96 diesel, before trading for more room. Great coach. Might have been the most versatile layout ever devised for the length. We didn't get the hook-type ladder some got for getting into/out of bed. So we got one of those small exercise trampolines and just took a running leap. I got a little drunk one night, and overshot. got stuck between the MagicBed and the front dash. I really had a stiff neck when the wife finally cranked the bed up next morning & I got out of the crack.
Had nothing to do w/trading it in. No, really, I swear.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I've had two Safari Treks. The first was a 1991 Isuzu powered 2830. That was a great machine (but a little under powered). We made two trips around the US, one trip to Alaska and one to Nova Scotia in that Trek. That Trek gave us a good consistent 12 - 14 mpg. We wanted a "real bed" so bought a 1997 Trek model 3330. They didn't make very many of those. That was a rear bedroom Trek. Still had a majic bed up front. The bad thing about that Trek, in my opinion, was it was a diesel pusher with a 6.5 GM diesel. It didn't have much more power than the Isuzu and I had severe engine problems. I suspect if it had had a Cummins or Cat diesel we'd still be driving it. My wife and I still look for Treks on the highway. They are great vehicles and I miss the Trek Club socials. Every time I fill up the beast I have now I am extremely envious of those that still drive an Isuzu Trek.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c124driver View Post
Hi ED and Cheryl, Looks like we have the same model and year. Have you tried to access the engine from removable cover between driver and passenger seats? Also have you located the fuel filter location. We traded larger gas rv in Tucson a few months ago. I am hands on type and do my own maintenance. We live in Sutherlin short ways off I-5 exit #136 west on hwy 138 about a mile. I will be taking my wife to biological dentist in Newport 10th thru 12 July. Stan & Connie King 541 315 2351
Stan, no to both your questions. I have, after these nearly 4 years not taken the dog house cover off, or even located the fuel filter although I think I know where it is. I tend to take the Trek to Guaranty RV for service as I want to make sure all is done properly and safely. I do not have the background to trust myself on the majority of its maintenance.

Apparently we drive right past your place on those times that we are taking the highway 38 shortcut from Florence when we are heading south.

Currently we are in Wyoming heading east . Will be gone for a bit.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #11

My "bucket list" includes a Safari Trek with the 3.9 L four cylinder Isuzu diesel on the Isuzu chassis! I have read some on this model but would welcome any info/advice from the veteran "Trek Force" owners! I think the last year they were made was 1994? Not sure what year the Isuzu editions started? Is there any one year that was better or more popular than others? Maintenance nightmare or maintenance friendly? Looking forward to your replies! Thanks in advance!

Mike
Mike Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
My "bucket list" includes a Safari Trek with the 3.9 L four cylinder Isuzu diesel on the Isuzu chassis! I have read some on this model but would welcome any info/advice from the veteran "Trek Force" owners! I think the last year they were made was 1994? Not sure what year the Isuzu editions started? Is there any one year that was better or more popular than others? Maintenance nightmare or maintenance friendly? Looking forward to your replies! Thanks in advance!

Mike
I highly recommend you join the Trek Tracks forum where the vast majority of Safari Trek owners are and so is a huge amount of information on the Trek you speak of. http://www.nwtfc.com/forum/default.asp
Old 05-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Prior to our current coach, we had a 1995 2830 Safari Trek with the 6.5 diesel. Had it for 7 years with many good trips and times enjoyed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Prior to our current coach, we had a 1995 2830 Safari Trek with the 6.5 diesel. Had it for 7 years with many good trips and times enjoyed.
I'd never heard of these until I saw one locally for sale. Checked the ad and really liked it. Cool concept, the bed that is. Gives you so much space in only 28 ft. This one for sale has had over $10k in upgrades and tons of suspension work. Looks like one owner, and they are selling since they are old. Rig looks awesome, but he wants $29,900 not sure how low I could get him. It's really tempting too buy and try out the lifestyle, even thought I'm about 8 yrs away from doing this for real....Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1399191716.710677.jpg
Views:	2874
Size:	608.1 KB
ID:	62054
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote