Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Question Safe T Plus or Steer Safe for Roadmaster "S" Chassis?

After hearing horror stories from motor coach owners who have had a front tire blowout, Ive decided that it might be prudent to add a Steer-Safe or Safety-Plus system to my Roadmaster S chassis. Id love to hear from those of you who have one or the other system. How do you like the system? Does it help in strong side wind situations? How about in an emergency situation such as a front tire blowout?

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor, Newmar KK Lone Stars South
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Saftey T Plus works great on our coach. Don't know about blow out, haven't had one before or after Safe T Plus. Installed rear trac bar also and our F53 came with factory front trac bar.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

After several attempts to get a my dealer, then a Freightliner Oasis shop... then a fram shop to correct the road wander in my brand new coach I took it up to Grant's Pass Oregon to Henderson't Line Up.

Among other things, I ended up with a Safe T Plus installed and just loved it from day one. Fortunately I haven't tested it with a front blow out but I feel better knowing it's there.

Having said that, I would REALLY like to have the trim kit installed for it so I could perform adjustments/make corrections while driving. The standard unit simply applies a strong bias on your steering linkage to hold the wheels in what it believe to be "straight". With a crowned road or strong cross winds you still have manual corrections to the steering wheel which need to be made. With the trim kit, one can just hold the wheel straight and push a button which adjusts the bias on the steering to correct for these things. It's on my wish list now.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I didn't know Safe-T-Plus has a electric trim kit. I believe Blu Ox has a steering unit that does. deSanford
Old 05-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
I didn't know Safe-T-Plus has a electric trim kit. I believe Blu Ox has a steering unit that does. deSanford
Yep, but it's made by Henderson's Line Up I believe and not OEM from SuperSteer. SuperSteer Trim Unit for Freightliner Chassis

It's been out for a couple of years I believe. There was a lot of discussion here on the forum regarding the folks at Super Steer claiming it would void the Safe T Plus warranty but I got in touch with people at both Henderson's and Super Steer and validated that it wasn't true. That's documented in another thread here somewhere.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Watching this video may help relieve some of your anxiety over a blowout.
Michelin North America RV Videos and Demos Page
Old 05-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
JDT

I have had the Safe-T-Plus for 4 years now and it works well. It was last fall, but I called Safe-T-Plus to ask a question about it. I mentioned the Henderson trim kit and got a stern lecture on how it is not an approved add-on and would void the warranty. I sensed some hostility over the issue but didn't ask any more questions to find out why.

I had a Blue Ox TruCenter on my previous coach, an 03 Vacationer gas on a Workhorse chassis. It was nice to be able to center it on the fly but it was on the worst handling coach ever built (I mean my coach, not the whole line) so I probably don't have a fair assessment of it.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I am also looking at the Saftey-Plus and the Steer Safe but think I have decided on the Blue Ox TruCenter because of being able to trim the steering. It also looks easy to install yourself.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I have had the Safe-T-Plus for 4 years now and it works well. It was last fall, but I called Safe-T-Plus to ask a question about it. I mentioned the Henderson trim kit and got a stern lecture on how it is not an approved add-on and would void the warranty. I sensed some hostility over the issue but didn't ask any more questions to find out why.
Here's the thread where I got to the bottom of the trim kit voiding warranty issue. Safe T Plus Trim Kit Voids Safe T Plus Wty???

Bottom line is that it does NOT void the warranty of the Safe T Plus but I think someone there had been telling callers otherwise in error for a while.

In spite of how much I like my Safe T Plus I'd probably buy the Blue Ox Tru Center if I had it to do over again. I think they had some quality issues with solenoids for a while but it is sounding like they're resolved now.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
JDT

Rick, thanks for pointing out that previous thread on the subject of the trim kit. I missed that one somehow. I will not share my previous experience any longer as it no longer appears to be an issue. Wish I could retract it now.

I kind of agree with STP that in most instances a trim kit would not be necessary if it is properly adjusted. Mine is dead on but took some trial and error. I used an awl to mark the location of the bracket so I could move it 1/16th of an inch at a time. Found the sweet spot on the third try. It would be nice to have the trim kit in the wind, however, which can be pretty intense around here, especially in the spring (northeast Oklahoma).
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
I kind of agree with STP that in most instances a trim kit would not be necessary if it is properly adjusted. Mine is dead on but took some trial and error. I used an awl to mark the location of the bracket so I could move it 1/16th of an inch at a time. Found the sweet spot on the third try. It would be nice to have the trim kit in the wind, however, which can be pretty intense around here, especially in the spring (northeast Oklahoma).
Hi JDT. Thanks for sharing your experience! Several other members had the same experience when calling STP about the trim kit. I really liked the guys at Henderson's Line Up so called them to ask if they knew STP was telling people the trim kit would void their warranty. That led to the exchanges documented in the other thread and cleared the air a bit.

I sure wish I would have been able to get mine adjusted dead on but about the time I think it's perfect, I'll get a cross wind or crowned road that makes me start thinking about how nice it would be to be able to adjust on the fly. Having said that, I'm a gadget junkie and can't rest when there's a new toy available.

Take Care...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had a Safety-Plus on a previous P30 chassis that stopped the wandering and the semi passing sway. Every once in a while on tight turns the springs would make some noise.

On my Freightliner XC I had the Safe T Plus installed. I did have a right front Michelin zipper blow out. Don't know how much the Safe T Plus helped as I did what the Michelin video shows to do. Either one, the MH went very straight with no pull on the steering.

I can't say if the chassis really needed the Safe T Plus. As I had only drove it less then 1,000 miles when it was installed. I just figured it couldn't hurt.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
I am also looking at the Saftey-Plus and the Steer Safe but think I have decided on the Blue Ox TruCenter because of being able to trim the steering. It also looks easy to install yourself.
Del,

I have owned a Safe-T-Plus on a previous coach and now have the TruCenter on the Diplomat. They both help to reduce wander but my impression is that the TruCenter does a better job with the by-pass valve so that very little effort is required to over come the hydraulic force when steering the coach. I don't even notice the presence of the TruCenter when steering the coach but did notice the Safe-T-Plus.

Bob
2013 Silverado Z71 CrewCab (will setup for toad soon)
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Del,

I have owned a Safe-T-Plus on a previous coach and now have the TruCenter on the Diplomat. They both help to reduce wander but my impression is that the TruCenter does a better job with the by-pass valve so that very little effort is required to over come the hydraulic force when steering the coach. I don't even notice the presence of the TruCenter when steering the coach but did notice the Safe-T-Plus.

Bob
Thanks Bob, you just made my decision easier...TruCenter it is.