Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks. Appreciate that information. I think I will try to get those.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the input. Ordered these today. Amazon.com: OTC 1784C 12-ton Ratchet Style Jack Stands - Pair: Automotive
Old 03-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #17

Barlow: You will be impressed with your purchase. Stay safe!!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks. Now I need some input on my plan to work underneath. Remember, I have air leveling only, no jacks. First will start engine and bring coach up to ride height. I will run up on 2 x 12's and block all tires/wheels, engage emergency brake and shut off engine. Next will slide safety jacks under rear frame and adjust as close to frame as possible. I would then like to dump some air to bring frame down to where it just starts to put pressure on jacks. Since I am going to be working on the air dryer filter, I will then drain the air from both air tanks. While underneath, I plan to change out air desiccant filter, grease all fittings including u-joints and spline. When finished, will start engine, allow air to build up, shut down engine and check for any leaks. If no leaks, restart engine and bring coach up to ride height. Will then remove safety jacks. I have a 20 ton bottle jack in case I have a problem and need to get the safety jacks out. Questions: Would there be any reason to release emergency brakes since wheels will remain on the ground? Ok for thin coat of vaseline on desiccant filter seal? Any other recommendations or suggestions? Thanks in advance for assistance.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
Questions: Would there be any reason to release emergency brakes since wheels will remain on the ground?
Do you mean while the coach is up on the jack stands? If so, I don't see why you would want to release them (unless you are working on the brakes themselves.) Also, if you are draining the air tanks as you mentioned, you won't be able to release the air brakes, and even if you released them before draining the tanks, they should automatically set once the tank pressure gets down around 40 PSI.

Or did I totally misunderstand the question?

Some good information on this thread. I've been following it since I've been trying to decide what I will do for jack stands.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I would be draining the air tanks to replace the dryer filter. I also want to lube everything including slack adjusters. Wasn't sure if I needed to do anything additional to lube slack adjuster, drive shaft, etc. I read somewhere that it works best to air up the coach and then shoot some lube in the spline shaft, dump air to change the angle of the drive shaft and put pressure on what you have put in. Then air up and finish adding the lube until it pushes past your finger over the hole. Supposedly this keeps the shaft from slinging lube everywhere when you dump air the next time and then head out on the road after airing up. Sounds like overkill to me but just thought I would check with those who know.
As far as the emergency brake goes, wasn't sure if any of the slack adjusters were affected by air being dumped and brake engaged (springs only). Probably a non-issue also but again just to be sure.....I ask.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #21

Barlow
I am a little unclear on where exactly your jack stands are going to be placed to support the weight of the coach ?? how high do they lift up to....i am sure there are others who would like to know also
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #22

Barlow
QUOTE " Next will slide safety jacks under rear frame and adjust as close to frame as possible."

You do know that the "frame is at floor height.....be very careful what part of the coach you use to support over 10,000 lbs on........im just sayin
Old 03-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
Thanks for that info. Since I have no leveling jacks (air leveling only), I would need to drive up on 2 x's to get high enough to put the jacks under frame while aired up. Guess I need to go to storage and air up on 2x's and measure my height to determine range of jack stands. I have decent room to work when on 2x's and aired up but want to be sure that jacks will fit under at that setup. I will be changing oil, filters, lube on driveshaft and other lube points. One other question. If I place jacks under rear frame while aired up and I am working underneath rear only, is there a need to place another set of jacks under front of coach frame in case there is sudden loss of air?
Barlow...STOP and think for a minute
I have some serious problems about where you are going to support from....it sounds here like you want to support from under the STORAGE BAYS.......which i DON'T believe is structurally capable of supporting the entire rear of the coach.....the supporting structure is above the bay hight ....where the bags are sitting
Old 03-24-2011, 12:25 PM   #24

You must have the stands under some frame members. Never anything to do with the body. In real bus shops they have pits, ramps or portable wheel hoists and even drive on hoists with huge capacities. I dont think OSHA would allow jack stands. But we are not bound by OSHA! I know of one person who keeps a truck wheel beside him when under the vehicle. I am never under a spot where the body reinforcements are against my chest. If I am going underneath for more than a minute I jack up the unit and use boards under the wheels as well as a the stands. Am I paranoid. You betcha!!
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 03-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Dennis and Moisheh,
Yes, I understand the supporting frame for the coach. I may need to use some timbers to increase the jack stand height slightly. Right now the last safe click on the jack stand is at 31". I have a 6 ton floor jack in my garage and may need to use that to get some 2 x 12's under the wheels. Moisheh, you have the same jacks. Where do you place them when you are under the coach?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #26

Barlow: I havent been under mine for over a year other than using boards. Saturday I will crawl under and check out the good spots. DO NOT try and jack up yopur unit with a 6 ton jack. Although your weight at a weigh scale is certainly less than that on one siude when you jack up a vehicle you are jacking up some of the weight from the other side. All my MH bottle jacks are at least 12 tons. I also use an air over hydraulic jack and I think it is either 16 or 20 tons. I wish I had a 12 ton floor jack. They are very pricey.
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 03-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Barlow: I havent been under mine for over a year other than using boards. Saturday I will crawl under and check out the good spots. DO NOT try and jack up yopur unit with a 6 ton jack. Although your weight at a weigh scale is certainly less than that on one siude when you jack up a vehicle you are jacking up some of the weight from the other side. All my MH bottle jacks are at least 12 tons. I also use an air over hydraulic jack and I think it is either 16 or 20 tons. I wish I had a 12 ton floor jack. They are very pricey.
Thanks, I have a couple of 12ton bottle jacks. Will use those if I have to. Don't make a special trip under on Sat. I can take a look when I get ready to do the work. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #28

Bird On A Wire

http://i56.tinypic.com/2wof95z.jpg

This what we need to hold up our coaches!! Seriously there is quite a controversy amongst bus owners as to whether a unit can be supported via the axles or the frame. Never use timbers under your stands unless they are fastened together and capped with plate steel. The legs of the stands are applying a lot of pressure to the timbers. Never do any jacking on dirt or asphalt. Should be on concrete. I will look to see where I read this but the jack stands that are suported by timbers have to be on wider timbers than the stands are tall. Never use the levelling jacks to hold up the unit. I dont have hydraulic levellers but if you do it is OK to use them to get the unit high enough to place a jack under a jacking point. If one is removing any wheels then the unit MUST be supported by the axle as well as the frame. I do not like being under a MH when the wheels are off. Blocking the wheels is very important! Remeber we are not working on a 3500 lb. car or a 6000 lb. PU. A Dynasty is a heavy beast!!! I can actually grease my Dynasty by driving onto 2 by 12's and plywood and no jacks on the front only. Rear is much harder.
2009 Silverado Toad