RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2007, 03:16 PM   #1

I received a letter today from Monaco (MCC) regarding the safety recall-frame extension problem which includes Monaco 2001-2003 LaPalma, 2001-2002 Monarch and 2002-2003 Monarch SE, Holiday Rambler 2001-2002 Admiral, 2002-2003 Admiral SE, 2001-2002 Endeavor Gas and 2001-2003 Vacationer.
It states that the hitch frame extension lower flange may crack allowing the it to bend down and possibly tear loose and should have two pieces of angle steel added to reinforce the hitch. It goes on to explain that the problem is usually caused by customers exceeding the weight rating of the hitch.
All parts and labor will be performed at no cost to me by a MCC dealer. Approx. repair time 1 hour.

Has anyone had this work done?

abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2007, 03:16 PM   #2

I received a letter today from Monaco (MCC) regarding the safety recall-frame extension problem which includes Monaco 2001-2003 LaPalma, 2001-2002 Monarch and 2002-2003 Monarch SE, Holiday Rambler 2001-2002 Admiral, 2002-2003 Admiral SE, 2001-2002 Endeavor Gas and 2001-2003 Vacationer.
It states that the hitch frame extension lower flange may crack allowing the it to bend down and possibly tear loose and should have two pieces of angle steel added to reinforce the hitch. It goes on to explain that the problem is usually caused by customers exceeding the weight rating of the hitch.
All parts and labor will be performed at no cost to me by a MCC dealer. Approx. repair time 1 hour.

Has anyone had this work done?

Old 02-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mine is not part of the recall, but I would certainly have it done. If it makes the hitch more reliable it is a good thing.
We had a friend almost lose his boat because the hitch frame extension broke. Not on a Monaco, but you never know.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:11 PM   #4

abarkl: I got the same recall notice this week. I will check with the same weld shop that did another weld recall on my 2002 Monarch. I will post here if I find out anything worthwhile.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:27 PM   #5

Finally had the recall work done today at Massey's Diesel in Phoenix.
They installed the kit from Monaco which included two gussetts mounted above the hitch in the frame rail and new bolts all the way around. The torque for the bolts is 72#.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #6

Here is a trailer hitch-frame problem we had this summer.

We were towing a Saturn Vue with 2002 Holiday Rambler Vacationer...traveling on I-10 from FL to CA...occasionally we would hit a bad spot in the road; some parts of I-10 are perfect, other parts are rough owing to the expansion boundaries.

Near Phoenix (on 95 just off the I-8 bypass) we went over an abrupt low spot (almost like an inverse speed bump); we heard some loud reverberations and decided to have a look...to our amazement we found that the bottom of the frame had pulled away from frame on both sides.

We disconnected the Saturn Vue, and my wife drove it while I drove the RV...we got frame fixed temporarily at a welding shop in Woodland CA; and then resumed our trip (with Saturn Vue in tow) to OR where we had the largest heavy hitch we could find installed on the RV. The new hitch had a long reach to both the top and bottom of the RV frame; the shop beefed up the original frame and the new hitch was bolted to the top, side and bottom of the RV frame.

See pictures of the damaged frame.

First picture, right side

Second picture, hitch position while welds frame and installs gusets to additional strength to the frame.

Third picture, left side

The remainder of the trip (about 5000 miles and return to FL) with the new was trouble free.

On first look the original hitch looked rugged enough; however it was bolted only to bottom of the RV frame and I should have recognized that the hitch should have been bolted to all parts of the rear frame. It seems that as we would drive over bumps the force of the hitch-tow bar system steadily acted to put undue force to the bottom of the frame until it broke away from the main vertical section of the frame. The hitch appeared to be an aftermarket hitch and really not suited for use on an RV.

Hemi

Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote