Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2018, 07:18 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
here's some. There's not a lot of selection at that height and counter depth.

https://www.ajmadison.com/b.php/Heig...4294966346+655

Sears.com
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2018, 04:23 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Finally got time to look under the refrigerator, since mine is separate from the counter top.

I don't have much under there except a large bundle of wires with enough slack that it could easily be moved.

There is 4.5" of dead space above the furnace to the plywood supporting the refrigerator.

The furnace itself is mounted on plywood elevated by another 3/4", so another 1.5" if I lower the furnace.

I am now looking at refrigerators that would fit in a ~68" space, preferably a counter depth refrigerator to make it easier to get through the door.

Any suggestions?

Be sure the drain if behind furnace is not in the way for lowering. ALSO FYI typically the first 1.5-2" at the bottom of the outside wall is a metal channel that holds the wall in place.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:38 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Finally got time to look under the refrigerator, since mine is separate from the counter top.

I don't have much under there except a large bundle of wires with enough slack that it could easily be moved.

There is 4.5" of dead space above the furnace to the plywood supporting the refrigerator.

The furnace itself is mounted on plywood elevated by another 3/4", so another 1.5" if I lower the furnace.

I am now looking at refrigerators that would fit in a ~68" space, preferably a counter depth refrigerator to make it easier to get through the door.

Any suggestions?
Jim,

One thin to keep in mind is if you still have a Modified Sine Wave inverter the Samsung is know to work without problems on that power source. There are a few other brands that have a history of working on the MSW inverter. Hopeful someone who has information on that will post.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:06 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Although they will run on the MSW some of us have had issues with the unit warming up some while driving. I had some possible underlying factors that may have contributed to that for me but I will investigate more in the spring.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:39 PM   #19

Quote:

Any suggestions?
Fisher Paykel RF170ADX4, 17 cu ft counter depth French door fridge. 67 17/32" height, almost an exact fit for the Norcold 1200 and very well made. Works on MSW. Downside is they are proud of their fridges, $2100 and never go on sale.

It's the one we will get when we're ready. Problem is the Amish upgrade is working too well 5 years on. If we fulltimed with hookups it would be a no brainer, though.
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:19 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman1 View Post
Fisher Paykel RF170ADX4, 17 cu ft counter depth French door fridge. 67 17/32" height, almost an exact fit for the Norcold 1200 and very well made. Works on MSW. Downside is they are proud of their fridges, $2100 and never go on sale.

It's the one we will get when we're ready. Problem is the Amish upgrade is working too well 5 years on. If we fulltimed with hookups it would be a no brainer, though.
The Fisher Paykel would have been an easier fit for me, but the price was a bit much for us - $2,100 without an ice maker, $2,400 (I think) with the ice maker. Probably would not have had to lower the furnace. Seems like it was about 3-4 inches shorter than the Samsung.

There were a couple others, but wasn't sure they would work with a modified sine wave inverter. And they were more than the Samsung. There are options out there. Keep looking.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:55 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I've spent a lot of time looking at options.

AJ Madison has the best search functions by size. As soon as you reduce the size to the height of the Norcold your selections reduces substantially. If I lower the shelf by 4.5" (which is the space above my furnace) I get a better selection but still no Samsung.

I went to Lowes yesterday and took a hard look at the Samsung. Not much can be gained by taking the wheels off, possibly 1/2" so the published height is what I'd need and the only way to know is to rip out the Norcold.

To be able to make the Samsung work it to lower the Furnace to get the additional inch. This is the same conclusion that a couple others have made.

So for the mean time I'm going to hold off repairing until I can dedicate enough time to complete the job.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It would be nice if some fridge manufacturer would make a slide in replacement for the Norcold. I'm sure they would sell a boat load of them.
gimblerotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Samsung 18 install in a 2002 Windsor with furnace

Quote:
I've spent a lot of time looking at options.

AJ Madison has the best search functions by size. As soon as you reduce the size to the height of the Norcold your selections reduces substantially. If I lower the shelf by 4.5" (which is the space above my furnace) I get a better selection but still no Samsung.

I went to Lowes yesterday and took a hard look at the Samsung. Not much can be gained by taking the wheels off, possibly 1/2" so the published height is what I'd need and the only way to know is to rip out the Norcold.

To be able to make the Samsung work it to lower the Furnace to get the additional inch. This is the same conclusion that a couple others have made.

So for the mean time I'm going to hold off repairing until I can dedicate enough time to complete the job.

Lowering the furnace maybe if you have a taller coach you might make up some there too. FYI there is a channel on the outside walls that the walls do into, and then there is the sink drain too usually. Lowering the furnace if it's a Attwood is a big deal. I think most Monaco's have Suburbans don't they? Until that furnace is removed it's hard to tell.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Lowering the furnace maybe if you have a taller coach you might make up some there too. FYI there is a channel on the outside walls that the walls do into, and then there is the sink drain too usually. Lowering the furnace if it's a Attwood is a big deal. I think most Monaco's have Suburbans don't they? Until that furnace is removed it's hard to tell.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1518801940.835637.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	192541
This is not a Monaco.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:31 AM   #25

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimblerotor View Post
It would be nice if some fridge manufacturer would make a slide in replacement for the Norcold. I'm sure they would sell a boat load of them.
AND.. the Damnetic 1492....
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbow43 View Post
The Fisher Paykel would have been an easier fit for me, but the price was a bit much for us - $2,100 without an ice maker, $2,400 (I think) with the ice maker. Probably would not have had to lower the furnace. Seems like it was about 3-4 inches shorter than the Samsung.

There were a couple others, but wasn't sure they would work with a modified sine wave inverter. And they were more than the Samsung. There are options out there. Keep looking.
I have the 02 Windsor same setup as you, I finally bit the bullet and went to Lowes on Sunday and ordered the Fisher Paykel with water in door and the ice maker at the tune of 2399. It will be here on the 28th
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send us a picture when completed.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Send us a picture when completed.
Will do. I'm going to use the metal frame similar to Dutch star Don.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace, install