Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2018, 05:33 AM   #15

Late fall ready to replace my 1402 also.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2018, 06:04 AM   #16

HD refused to place mine in the RV. I ended up mad and told them to put it in the garage and had a friend come over and help me. Took him longer to come over than it did to place within the RV.
JLHoughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:27 AM   #17

Had an 05 Navigator 43pbq. When the old Nocold failed we had Davis Cabinets replace it with a Whirlpool 2 door.
They removed the Nocold and replaced it via the driver window. They also removed the lower pot and pan cabinet. The pot and pan cabinet now resides above the reefer. Fabulous job by Davis. Since sold the Navigator and purchased a new Newmar coach.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:37 AM   #18

Vito, I just found this thread on installing the Samsung RF18 Frig in your 2004 Sig. I am going to attempt the same in my 2004 Monaco Sig. It is now been 4 years since your install, so my question is how is your Samsung frig working? I assume that your install has worked well for you.
Softballnut
2004 Monaco Sig, Nashville, TN
softballnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:46 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, I didn't realize it has been four years! Yes, it has worked flawlessly. We live and travel mostly in dry climates. Some of the folks in very humid areas have had icing issues but there is a fix for this online.

Originally, my wife complained about reaching the top shelf. I considered lowering the entire refrigerator and doing away with the drawer underneath. But over the years she has gotten used to the height and it has not been an issue. Even though the drawer is reduced in size it is in a handy place and is very useful. So if I was doing this again, I now think I would keep the drawer and do it the same way.

My wife does say this is the best modification we've ever done to our coach. We just completed a trip to Yosemite with five granddaughters. Those girls are constantly in and out of the refrigerator. Our Samsung hangs in there. We can load it to the hilt and it always cools well. There is no way the Norcold would have kept stuff cold with the door constantly opened and closed.

I did install the Fridgefixer to retain the doors as well as some spring loaded steel rods to retain items on the shelves. These work well while traveling.

I originally thought I would need more house batteries. My NAPA GC2 batteries did not work well. I switched to four Trojan T-105 golf cart batteries and they are working well. The Samsung RF18 uses about 1 to 1.5 amps at 120v when running and runs on about a 20% duty cycle. That ends up being about 10 amps at 12V for 20 min out of every hour. The 270 amp engine alternator easily keeps up when driving and the batteries and inverter will operate the refrigerator easily overnight.
This is with the ice maker off and the energy saver mode selected. When connected to shore power we run the ice maker. It's like this refrigerator was made for us RV folks.

Let me know if you need any more information or help?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:47 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Nice Vito. Like you we have had ours for quite a while now and I don't think I'll ever own another absorption refrigerator again. My wife and I love our residential refrigerator and we didn't add any additional batteries either. We generally stay in campgrounds/RV parks with shore power but while driving and even a night or two here and there boondocking is not that big a deal with a little generator time, after all, that's what we carry those things around for.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 01:43 PM   #21

Vito, thanks for the follow up. We are headed out in the morning to the the Gatlinburg area of east Tennessee where the coach is kept at a RV resort called the Dell to pull out the old Norcold frig. I can't express how much I appreciate your post that shows me the details of how to take out and install the Samsung RF18. Also, for checking this old post and responding back as to how well the frig is doing now. My guys that do remote repairs estimated at the low side $5,000 to do all the work plus the new frig. So needless to say when I found your post and read it I called them to say I will be bring the coach back to Nashville to do it my self. Thanks Thanks I just forked out $3,000 to replace the middle air unit and replace the fan motor on the rear unit.

I am learning how to do things as an RV owner so I have a question. I'm sure not an electrician so you mentioned the two electrical outlets in the outside access that you relocated. One to the inverter and the other was not. I think the one to the inverter is the main plug for the frig unit and the other is where my ice maker was plugged into.
I unplugged the ice maker several years ago because it was not working or leaked. So am I correct in my assumptions about the inverter plug. Also, I am assuming that your inverter was good enough to handle the new frig with out having to replace it with a lager inverter.
I will measure tomorrow as to whether I take out the bottom and put the frig on the floor and not back on the shelf like it now is. Any other words of your wonderful wisdom would be appreciated.
Roy roy@abctn.com 615-300-3682 cell #
Old 08-26-2021, 02:06 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by softballnut View Post
Vito, thanks for the follow up. We are headed out in the morning to the the Gatlinburg area of east Tennessee where the coach is kept at a RV resort called the Dell to pull out the old Norcold frig. I can't express how much I appreciate your post that shows me the details of how to take out and install the Samsung RF18. Also, for checking this old post and responding back as to how well the frig is doing now. My guys that do remote repairs estimated at the low side $5,000 to do all the work plus the new frig. So needless to say when I found your post and read it I called them to say I will be bring the coach back to Nashville to do it my self. Thanks Thanks I just forked out $3,000 to replace the middle air unit and replace the fan motor on the rear unit.

I am learning how to do things as an RV owner so I have a question. I'm sure not an electrician so you mentioned the two electrical outlets in the outside access that you relocated. One to the inverter and the other was not. I think the one to the inverter is the main plug for the frig unit and the other is where my ice maker was plugged into.
I unplugged the ice maker several years ago because it was not working or leaked. So am I correct in my assumptions about the inverter plug. Also, I am assuming that your inverter was good enough to handle the new frig with out having to replace it with a lager inverter.
I will measure tomorrow as to whether I take out the bottom and put the frig on the floor and not back on the shelf like it now is. Any other words of your wonderful wisdom would be appreciated.
Roy roy@abctn.com 615-300-3682 cell #

We installed a Samsung FR18 in our 2002 Windsor, a much harder install since we had the furnace under ours. Here's a link that might give you some ideas, https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/sam...ne-461001.html
One thing that is helpful is to build a dolly to move the new fridge in and out.

I also used aluminum angle painted black and attached to the side of the fridge with 3M VHB double sided tape, once installed it won't budge. Also put some blocks and the back and sides to keep the fridge centered. I was on some really rough rodes my last trip and the fridge didn't budge.

The 2 plugs behind the refrigerator for both the ice maker and the 120 volt power to the fridge to run on AC. The Icemaker would have been plugged into the inverter circuit to be able to make ice while not on shore power.

I left both plugs in place so I can swap as needed. Last trip ran in on the inverter the whole time and worked great. In Wyoming the temps were +100F and sun beating down on the refrigerator side and the temps stay where they were set -4F & 38 F. My Norcold never did that.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:18 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Yes as James says the inverter side of the outlet is the one the ice maker was plugged into. My outlet was in a difficult place so I relocated it.

Regardless, you will need to remove the original fridge floor and install a new one. You need to gain a few inches in height. Your choice is whether to place the new fridge floor only a couple of inches below where it was, or much lower near the actual coach floor. It cannot sit flat on the coach floor as there are wires hoses and cable under it.
Good luck!
Old 02-12-2022, 10:47 AM   #24

Samsung refrigerator install 2004 Monaco Sig

Vito, I just want to start by saying thank you for this post on how you installed your Samsung refrigerator, it has been so helpful.

Will, I'm back on the project of replacing the frig. The Samsung is setting in the garage waiting on me to get the new floor in. Ran into a few issues that I couldn't see until I completely removed the old floor. The drain line and vent from the shower are in my way for me to install the new floor about 2 inches up off the sub-floor. So I'm having to raise the floor.

I have started the frame for the new floor by attaching 1 x 2 1/2" to the side walls and adding some additional supports attached to floor and side walls. But I have a couple of questions.

First: How did you attach something to the outside wall to support the new floor. Can't screw the 1x 2 1/2" into the outside wall. I noticed when I removed the old floor that it was not anchored to the outside wall, it was just sealed with the black sealer. I don't think the outside walls supports the floor at all. It was/is supported by the sides and the support piece that I will install that goes from wall to wall and sets of the sub-floor and the new wall will set on the top. The drawer slides will also mount to this support. I think that I will attach a 1x 2 1/2" support to the outside wall with liquid nails. Your thoughts please.

second: I have sealed the outside door vents with the insulation product that you used. However, I am still getting rain water in around the door. Were you able to completely seal the rain out and if so how?

Also, I've sealed off the top vent by having a fiber glass guy cover the area and reseal the roof. I did take your lead and removed the copper tubing coming up through the floor for the propane. Just in the way. i will seal off the whole.

Hope you and your family are doing well.[
]

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2875.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	356317

Name:	IMG_2878.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	356318

Name:	IMG_2877.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	356319
Softballnut
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2876.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	356316  
Old 02-12-2022, 12:36 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
You might opt to fix a cross piece to the shelf/floor you are putting to support the span. Possibly a piece of angle.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 04:52 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post

Wow, I didn't realize it has been four years! Yes, it has worked flawlessly.

I did install the Fridgefixer to retain the doors as well as some spring loaded steel rods to retain items on the shelves. These work well while traveling.

Time flies quicker all the time....

I had a different fix in mind but this Fridge Fixer looks much more convenient than a threaded knob. My Samsung was already installed and had a latch on the top of the doors. One wallow type bump on a turn I didn't see and ripped it right out!

I ordered one of these as soon as I saw the install video.

Thank for your research and dedication!

Glenn

JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:05 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean View Post
Time flies quicker all the time....

I had a different fix in mind but this Fridge Fixer looks much more convenient than a threaded knob. My Samsung was already installed and had a latch on the top of the doors. One wallow type bump on a turn I didn't see and ripped it right out!

I ordered one of these as soon as I saw the install video.

Thank for your research and dedication!

Glenn

Agreed..... Fridge fixer here as well..... 3 years and still going strong with no issues
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:57 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
You're welcome! Glad to see your install going well.
I'd start up your new Samsung and run it for a day or two to confirm it's working.

I used a 1" x 1" piece across the back and screwed and glued it to the wall with liquid nails also. I carefully measured the required screw length so they would not go through. I also had to do this on the forward wall so the screws would not go through into the mirror.

Maybe you need new weather stripping around the perimeter of the outside access cover? But if it didn't leak before it shouldn't leak now.
Best of luck!

Tags
install, monaco, refrigerator