Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
JDT

Samsung RF197 Install Affects Coach Value???

Not really a question here, just some info for those of us who have changed out the Notcold to a residential fridge.

We have been toying with the idea of selling our coach for a few weeks now. A consignment dealer was recommended to me so I gave him a call. He was very encouraging about the coach as I listed all the improvements I had made to it. When I got to the Samsung he said "oops, that is a deal breaker, people don't want that. They want the two way. If you really want to sell it you'll have to change it back to the Norcold." I asked him if he had ever had ice cream from the Norcold but he was insistent I had done a terrible thing and ruined the resale value. Whoa.

I would think knowledgeable buyers would pay more for a conversion done right and besides, many coaches, not necessarily the high end ones are coming with a residential fridge. Maybe there is a question here as I am wondering what you think? Have I ruined the value of my coach if we decide to sell it?

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not as far as I am concerned. In fact, that's an absolute must have on my next coach, that is, if there is a next one. The only caveat I can think of is that it would need to be done right, with adequate inverter size and battery bank.

Maybe the guy used to be a used car salesman. Whenever I had a car to trade in it always had the wrong equipment. If I had a stick everyone wanted an automatic, if I had a two door everyone wanted a four door. You get the picture.

radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #3

I think it should be a selling point!! And on the dealer side you just have to consider that he's just a salesman. At least it want catch fire, your groceries want spoil and it will keep the ice cream and beer cold and thats all that counts.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Find another dealer....with that attitude you would just be parking your rig AND he would use it as a comparison to sell the "properly equipped " ones. Yeah right pay another $4K to make a fire bomb??? He is a dufus!!! Move on!

Real reefer right from the factory...no more Norcolds for me. You did the right thing.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #5

If that dealer were correct then half of the new DP's would be hard to sell. Residential fridges are even standard eqpt. in many models!!
( Mexico Unit)
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
JDT

I reread my post and I think I may come accross as taking this too seriously. I didn't, in fact, after hanging up I thought of some more things I should have said but the little angel on my right shoulder won over the guy on my left shoulder. But it is Mardi Gras and maybe I should have let loose then gave up something big for Lent.

Anyway, I do plan on using it as a selling point. I just haven't warmed up to the idea of selling it myself because of all the scammers out there. We'll see.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:53 AM   #7

I'm with everyone else so far, a NotCold/Damnetic frig is definitely becoming the deal-breaker (check posts in other places & forums!) and not in a good way.

It may be that you will have to educate the dealer and prospective clients to the advantages of your swap-out. They may only have seen 2-way frig's up til now and not be aware of why you made the improvement, so explaining all the Safety Recall issues and cooling problems against the convenience, peace-of-mind and hard ice-cream advantages are to inform them. Should be a no brainer by then!

Additionally, a lot of the things like the NADA or Kelly Price-Books and dealer resale-sheets have a list of standard features and options with a 'recommended' (oh, how I hate to use that word) price next to them (you know: Trade-In, WholeSale, Retail, etc). Since it has a residential frig, it's less easy for the dealer to peg a price so he may be taking the easy way out.

Again, a little education on his part will go a long way to get you a better price for an IMPROVED product.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
JDT

Thanks, Rustytools, that is what I plan on doing. However, with fuel prices skyrocketing I think our timing is poor and we may wait a while now.

Tags
install