Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Sauer Danfoss Hydraulic Pump Rebuild

With help from Windecker and P Whittle, I rebuilt my Sauer Danfoss CPB 1033 hydraulic pump. My pump was producing good pressure, but it was pulling transmission fluid into the hydraulic system and then venting hydraulic oil out the back. Allison Transynd is up to $60 per gallon, so I decided to fix it.

Last year I replaced the two small -4 lube hoses that go from the trans to the PTO. They had rubbed on the side of the trans and were leaking. Make sure you check yours. I zip tied some split fuel line over the new hoses to prevent rubbing.

I raised the coach up as high as it will go on the air bags and put my jack stands under the rear frame.
The hardest part is breaking loose the large hydraulic hoses. The steel fittings had some corrosion inside and they are tough! The bottom intake hose takes a 2" wrench. It took two of us pulling on that huge wrench for about 20 min to loosen it. Then we drained almost 14 gallons of Dexron III out of the bottom hose into 5-gallon buckets.

The top two pressure hoses are 1 5/16" and my jumbo wrench set did not have a 1 5/16" wrench. I had to go buy one. Even with a new wrench, it took some persuading with a large hammer to break these hoses loose.
Once you remove the hoses, then there are just two 3/4" hex head bolts holding the pump onto the PTO. These came out easy.

Then the pump just slides forward on the splined shaft and you lift it out. To disassemble the pump, there are eight studs with 11/16" hex nuts on each end. You will need a long handle ratchet on one end and a wrench on the other end. Then the pump sections pull apart. Make sure you mark the sections so you can put it back together the same way.

Since my pump was pulling transmission fluid from the PTO into the hydraulic side, the main thing I needed to change was the front shaft oil seal. There is a snap ring holding the seal in. Once you remove it, the seal will push out from the back side. Thanks to Paul for loaning me his seal insert tool. This made it easy to tap the new seal into place and then replace the snap ring.
The rest is replacing various o-rings in the pump (Paul and Will are the experts at this). Make sure you are careful and lay everything out the way it goes back together. I used some transmission assembly petroleum jelly to hold all the o-rings in place and applied ARP bolt lube to the studs. I reassembled all the parts and torqued the eight studs to 50 ft lbs.
I installed the new pump to PTO gasket on the pump face with some Permatex Ultra-gray.

Next I reinstalled the pump by sliding the pump input shaft back into the PTO housing and installing the two retaining bolts. I left the two mounting bolts loose to make it easier to start the hose end ends. I applied some anti-seize to the hose fittings. I then tightened the two mount bolts and the hoses. I added eight gallons of Dexron III hydraulic oil to test the system. No leaks so far!

Now I need to top off the fluids and test it on a good hill.

List of parts and tools (this is for a Cummins ISX in a 2004 Monaco):
Cummins PTO to Hydraulic pump gasket- Cummins #3916042 (eBay)
2” combination wrench for lower hose
1 5/16” combination wrench for upper hoses
¾” combination wrench
11/16” combination wrench
Ratchet with 11/16” socket
Snap Ring pliers
Pump rebuild kit- Call Gary Manchester, 708-887-6320
Can of engine degreaser & can of brake clean
Trans Assembly Goo from Amazon- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I purchased Dexron II at Walmart for $14.94 per gallon.
A friend who preferably is a weight lifter. You will embarrass him when he tries to loosen those hoses!
Hope this helps!

Will has some better pictures posted here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/saue...-444138-4.html

The pump pictures turn sideways when posting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydraulic pump before rebuild.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	362.1 KB
ID:	255784   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydraulic pump CPB 1033.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	799.5 KB
ID:	255785  

Name:	Hydraulic pump disassembled.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	854.7 KB
ID:	255786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydraulic pump front plate.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	769.5 KB
ID:	255787  

Name:	Hydraulic pump reinstalled.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	255788  
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2019, 07:30 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
So you have a CPB 1033 pump. I have a CPC 1018 on my coach, and there are many posts here about the CPC 1047.

Any idea what the difference is between the various pumps (why was one used over another by the coach builder)?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sauer DanFoss model codes.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	255926  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My build sheet says our pump is a Sauer Danfoss CPB 1184, yet when I cleaned up the tag it says CPB 1033. I'm not sure if it was replaced in the past, or if the build sheet is wrong. There was red RTV on the gasket that did not look like OEM.

I'm not an expert on these pumps, but there are different sizes and different inlet/outlet configurations along with different flange bolt patterens. On our coach, this single pump powers two large fans and the power steering. Some of the other engines have a separate pump for power steering.

After thinking about this for a few days, maybe the best way to break loose the large hose fittings would be to use 2" and 1 5/16" crows foot wrench ends and a very long breaker bar.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have an air compressor and air-impact hammer? This trick works surprising well.

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #5

If you need some Allison ATF, I just picked some up at Napa, on sale for $29 a gallon. Mobil Delvac 1. Also Summit Racing has it for $31 a gallon. Mobil Delvac 1 is approved by Allison.

Carl
Old 08-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, that's a nice trick. I hate tearing up the B Nut, but that sure looks easier than what we went through.

Carl, that's a great buy. I like Summit Racing but I have to spend $100 for free shipping. I checked Napa online and they do not list Delvac 1. I need to check our local Napa store. They made up my small PTO lube hoses.

Tags
rebuild, hydraulic