Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #1

Scan Gauge D not able to read Tranny Temps

Just installed a Scan Gauge D in my 2006 Endeavor, and realized that the Transmission Temperature reading was blank on a 100 mile trip.

I emailed Cristina at Scan Gauge, who informed me to download all of the 30 PIDs from the Scan Gauge in order to get the extra codes from her to install. Did that and submitted it to her.

She emails me back telling me that, based on all of the PIDs that I submitted, my coach doesn't read Transmission Temperatures. Am I missing something here?

It has an analog OEM Transmission Temperature gauge on the OEM dashboard, but the needle never, if hardly ever moves! I recall seeing it move a couple of hairs a few years ago when I was stuck at the border crossing and I had left the transmission in drive (which I don't do any more).

But since then, nothing.

Could it be a faulty sensor at the Transmission? Or perhaps a faulty ECM?

Finally, where do I look for either of the above?

The engine is a 400ISL Cummins paired with the 3000 series Allison.

Thanks,
Chef Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I also have the scan gauge D on my 2001 cummins 330 ISC
My tranny temp runs about 150. I'm pretty sure my scan gauge picks up the tranny temp. I'm not driving till Friday. If no one else replies. I'll let you know exactly what it says.
The gauge would have a separate sensor that the computer to my knowledge. I'll get back to you on Friday.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #3

Gorlininc,

I just received this reply from Linear Logic regarding the Scan Gauge D

"It may be that the sensor is only wired to report the temperature on the dash and not report it through the J1708 port."

While credible as that may seem, I would find it highly unlikely that Monaco would do this. Doesn't the Silverleaf system use the same diagnostic port, or am I missing something again +

Thanks,
Old 07-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #4

in all the allsion wiring i have ever look at it would have to be a off unit ... like installed in the cooler line setup

you could look at your cooler line and see if the is a after market system installed

i dont know much about the allison 3000 so i am not sure if the have a temp censer on the VB .. or this could even be just a update thing on your OS for the TCM

truth i think your on the right track and you do have a temp unit in the trans some where ?
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #5

Chefguy, I have an 06 Diplomat (Basic same coach) and I pick up my trans temp on my scan gauge. I am sure that it should be transmitted through the under dash plug. If I remember right I had to do a lot of scanning before I found my temps and oil pressure but it was there. I wish I could be more help, but I am sure it is there.

George
Old 07-30-2014, 06:33 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
It would really surprise me to learn that a 400ISL pushing through an Allison 3000MH did not have the ability to track/report transmission temperatures. That's a pretty important metric to overlook. IMO, \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I do not pick up the trans temp with my Scan Gauge D on the ISC 330. I tried everything as my analog gauge does not move as well even after replacing sensor. I receive all the other info just not trans temp.
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chef...
Many early 2000s Monaco's had the incorrect sending unit installed (mine included). Here is an excerpt from back in those days....

"I'm sure a lot of you get lousy readings from the Trans Temp gauge on the dash. Mine moves so little that you can't really tell if it's working. My VMSPC system now gives me accurate readings, but I would still like the gauge to read properly.

I found this info on another website and it makes sense:

"I have owned a '02 and a '07 Endeavor. In both of the coaches the transmission temperature gauge showed very little response. I did some research and found that Monaco had installed a transmission temperature sender with a range of 0 to 400 degrees. They used a VDO brand sender and I was able to locate a VDO sender with a range of 0 to 250 degrees. My Alladin system shows normal operating temperature to be less than 185 degrees. Most references to max transmission temperature show over 250 degrees to be detrimental to fluid and transmission life. I found the VDO Part# 323-095 sender at the following URL.http://store.42draftdesigns.com/250F-Water-Temp-Sender-18-NPT_p_90.html. I installed the sender with the transmission cold and lost only a few ounces of fluid during the sender exchange. The new sender is slightly longer than the old one. The advantage of having the gauge work properly is a quick glance provides quick feedback of the temperature while the Alladin screen can be a distraction to find the right information." "

This is the URL of the discussion:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/tran...ngs-87167.html

I never replaced my sender. My analog dash gauge seldom moves at all....and I know it's been wrong for 8 years. Just lazy.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I just checked my scan gauge. I get TFT transmission fluid temperature. I see it on my screen. I would think you would get it also.
Rick
Old 08-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #10

I think I may have found the answer

Rick,

Just out of curiosity. how many pins does your diagnostic connector have under your dash?

I called Silverleaf Electronics, spoke with one of their techies, who told me that the problem is the 6 pin, versus the 9 pin, plug.

Apparently, the ECM is sending out the info, but Monaco (in it's infinite wisdom) decided not to use a 6 pin plug, even though I have the newer electronic transmission. The techie was surprised that I have the newer Allison 3000 series but only a 6 pin plug.

He told me that in order to fix it, one would need to changeover the old style 6 pin plug to the newer 9 pin plugs. Argghhhhhh

So, that begs the question. Has anyone on this forum ever changed out the old 6 pin plug to the newer 9 pin plug AND is it a DIY job?

Also, where in the heck does one find these 9 pin lugs now?

Back to the drawing board we go....why isn't anything ever simple on these beasts!!!!
Old 08-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #11

I only have six pins, I am not sure but I thinking the 9 pin is for Cat engine rigs. I am sure someone knows for sure. I know I have an Allison plug in my electrical bay, but I have no idea how many pins it has. I think it is for Allison service only???

George
Old 08-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I just checked. I have the 6 pin connector under the dash.
My TFT runs about 180. My gauge reads 160.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
I just checked. I have the 6 pin connector under the dash.
My TFT runs about 180. My gauge reads 160.
What size engine and what type of transmission do you have? By the looks of your picture, you have a Windsor (2002?)

Did you do any mods to your coach electrically, or was it spec from Monaco?

Thanks,
Old 08-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2001 diplomat. With a cummins 330 ISC engine.
I'd think if you have a gauge for the tranny fluid temperature then the computer also monitors it.
Have you called cummins? They are very helpful techs.
Rick