Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2008, 05:00 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What products and equipment have you had success with removing scratches from tree limbs? Here's what happened to me:

In Texas if you want to drive a vehicle over 26,000 pounds, you must upgrade your Class C license to a Class B. Because our 35' Pace Arrow only weighted 15,000 pounds there was no need to upgrade. However, but now our 2007 Camelot is longer, wider, taller, and weights in at 30,000 pounds.

Okay, I passed my written but there's also a drivers test with YOUR vehicle. We went up and down every back street that had low hanging limbs, and here's the best part: "Points will be taken off if you drive outside of your lane."¯ Yes, I passed the driving test, but I really paid the price with scratches from tree limbs.

Any help you can provide with specific product and equipment names would be very much appreciated.

CC
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2008, 05:00 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What products and equipment have you had success with removing scratches from tree limbs? Here's what happened to me:

In Texas if you want to drive a vehicle over 26,000 pounds, you must upgrade your Class C license to a Class B. Because our 35' Pace Arrow only weighted 15,000 pounds there was no need to upgrade. However, but now our 2007 Camelot is longer, wider, taller, and weights in at 30,000 pounds.

Okay, I passed my written but there's also a drivers test with YOUR vehicle. We went up and down every back street that had low hanging limbs, and here's the best part: "Points will be taken off if you drive outside of your lane."¯ Yes, I passed the driving test, but I really paid the price with scratches from tree limbs.

Any help you can provide with specific product and equipment names would be very much appreciated.

CC
Old 01-19-2008, 05:20 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Oh man C.C., I'm crying along right with you. I have some scratches from trees that I need to get rid of too.
Go to Molly Moppet's website and she has a ton of great proucts. Her polishing product is next on my "to buy" list for sure. We saw her stuff at a cleaning seminar at the Indio, CA FMCA rally just recently.
AKBrick

BTW congratulations on your license!!
Old 01-19-2008, 05:26 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Hey AK...

Have you actually used the products yet... or are you waiting for some poor soul to come by and say.."Tom...I have nothing to do.. can I remove those scratches for you?"

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
MonacoMama,be nice -- Her web site is goclean.com -- I was in Red Bluff RV Park & a Monacoer was there & he tried some of her polish on my BLAAAAAK Camelot -- It worked OK, but didn`t try it on scratches (I do have some)-- I think she has a heavier polish for that --Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:06 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
M.M. wellllll, I actually used her products and cleaned but not polished the coach the other day. Call me "Tom Sawyer" as I'm waiting for you to come by and help me. Just remember how cold and rainy it is up there and how warm and sunny it is down here! snicker snicker
AK
Old 01-19-2008, 06:26 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Awww Shucks, Billy...can't this Troll pick on AK? He is the only one who was here that didn't pay the "Troll Toll" when he was here!

I was actually wondering how her products worked. I remember AK saying he was gonna use them... butI never saw a new thread from him doing a product review! Now I'm not saying he didn't do it... I just never saw it!!

(besides... he didn't pay the Troll! ...hey AK... ever since they fixed my leak..I have had NO rain!!)
OK... now back to the scratches...Products and techniques...anyone?

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:25 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hey CC -

Sorry to hear about the scratches. On our vehicles, they seem to hurt worse than if we'd scraped ourselves sometimes.

Did you find the 'official' Texas DPS info about needing a Class B license? I've seen it bantered about both ways for quite awhile now, but have never seen the State's wording one way or another.

Thanks!
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ron,
This may be what you're looking for:

The Texas Transportation Code in the Texas Penal Code

Chapter 521, Subchapter D

521.082. CLASS B LICENSE. (a) A Class B driver's license authorizes the holder of the license to operate:
(1) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating that
is more than 26,000 pounds;
(2) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of
26,000 pounds or more towing:
(A) a vehicle, other than a farm trailer, with a
gross vehicle weight rating that is not more than 10,000 pounds; or
(B) a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight
rating that is not more than 20,000 pounds; and
(3) a bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or
more.

All state license requirements are also published in the January 2008 issue of FMCA mag.

CC
Old 01-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Bill,
Mama's all right!!! She keeps this band of goofs together and she's just showing her brand of affection. Just ask SacsTC!! He's the lucky one.
AKBrick
Old 01-20-2008, 01:53 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, CC. Good luck with the scratches.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:09 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I have tree scratches on my Camelot too. I decided to ask auto-body shops what they use and there are a ton of products on the market to use. More than one shop advises the use of "Quixx". I just ordered some. Their website is:

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-14232-17680.aspx?&s_...917405935-e-17044275

Now to find a ladder...........

2007 Camelot 40 PDQ
Freemn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:35 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Bill,
Thanks for your input, and if you value not falling off of a ladder I would suggest Little Giant. They are heavy but have rollers at the feet for moving. When extended fully they are very solid and I don't trust anything else. I dislike pain!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:52 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
CC,
Sorry to hear about your scratches. Pretty irresponsible of the TDL officer to take you down a tree lined street with a large coach. I took my test in Tyler, TX and the officer mentioned she would stay away from narrow county roads, she had her act together. Some of the offices made you parallel park but I only had to back up 100 ft or so. I really can't imagine me ever parallel parking except on a football field.
If the scratches did not go through the clear coat there are several products that will polish them out. Any body shop supply store can probably assist with the right one. You need to be careful with them and not go through the clear coat which would require applying clear coat to properly restore. With anything more than polishing out minor clear coat scratches it would probably be best seek out a body shop.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote