Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 07:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary8346 View Post
BTW, I've never been able to change the engine idle with the cruise control. I understand that you just hold the RES button down to increase idle but it doesn't work for me.
Turn the cruise control on and press the SET button once to set high idle. I understand you can also set it a little higher by using the throttle to get it where you want and pressing set, but have never tried it.
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the rubber boots on the intake system. A loose clamp that holds the rubber boots to the intake tubes will allow turbocharged air to escape and makes a screaming noise. It usually leaves a mark on the tube.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #17

To check your idler pulley, take off your belt and then spin the idler pulley by hand. If you hear any noise, replace the bearings. I just did mine. Also do the same thing to the alternator.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary8346 View Post
I've been hearing an intermittent engine noise lately from our 400 HP isl dp, usually at low rpm. It sounds a little like a loose fan belt but I replaced mine just a couple of years ago when I replaced the fan. I also thought it might be the PAC break leaking exhaust but I replaced that two years ago also. It only happens when moving so it's hard for me to locate it since I'm the only one who drives.
I suppose should have it diagnosed by a mechanic, but everyone is about two weeks out just to look at it and we are on the road about 2500 miles from home. Everything else is working great. My coach is a 2006 diplomat
Gary8346
Have you checked the serpentine belt tensioner?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Check the rubber boots on the intake system. A loose clamp that holds the rubber boots to the intake tubes will allow turbocharged air to escape and makes a screaming noise. It usually leaves a mark on the tube.

Do you have pics.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 08-02-2016, 11:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
The exhaust manifold is common on these. I had three broken bolts on our ISL when we bought the coach back in 2007 that I removed the manifold, trued it up and extracted the broken bolts then reinstalled using new Cummins OEM bolts and gaskets. It has been fine for the past 55k miles until our last trip when the manifold broke. I have a youtube video of the replacement procedure as well as truing up the manifold. I would not however suggest you double up on the gaskets. I would however, suggest that you apply some antiseize to the fasteners as it aids in removal tremendously for the next time.

Here is a link if interested.
youtube.com/watch?v=ymlYNwHyS3A

As for the noise, I would suspect the tensioner. I had one start making noise around 80-ish thousand miles and replaced mine.

Mike.

Mike always enjoy your instructions. I'll check my serpentine tensioner and the exhaust manifold. Hopefully with 94k in miles the previous owner had this repair completed.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:24 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
Turn the cruise control on and press the SET button once to set high idle. I understand you can also set it a little higher by using the throttle to get it where you want and pressing set, but have never tried it.

Press the SET once to engage, then RES to continue to increase, or SET to decrease RPM's.

Turn the cruise OFF or touch the brake pedal to disengage.

Paul
pwhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:35 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Mike always enjoy your instructions. I'll check my serpentine tensioner and the exhaust manifold. Hopefully with 94k in miles the previous owner had this repair completed.

Thank you. I am glad you found it informative.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Thank you. I am glad you found it informative.

Mike.

Mike , thx it just added to my list, treading on new grounds! 😬

Old 08-04-2016, 06:09 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Do you have pics.

Sorry, No pictures. When you are working on one to eight motorhomes a day, It doesn't leave much time for pictures. We ran into this several times. It was not that uncommon.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:36 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Mike , thx it just added to my list, treading on new grounds! ��

You're welcome. Glad you found it helpful.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:45 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everybody for your replies. I took it to Cummins in sieux falls, SD who determined that I had a blown exhaust manifolds gasket. They replaced gasket and manifold in about four hours. About $1800 parts and labor covered by our extended warrantee. Seemed very fair and quick. While I was there I had a full engine, generator and chassis service so we are ready to go this winter.
Gary8346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, noise, scr