Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 12:46 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Seat removal

I have a number of wires on the drivers side under the dash of my 2002 Monaco 40 foot Diplomat that I intend to remove or return them from where they came from.

The biggest and probably the only problem, is me. I'm not the smallest guy on the planet and to get comfortably under the dash so I could work freely, I will need to remove the driver's seat.

I have not really spent any time looking at how easy/difficult this could be, but I'm hoping that someone here has some real information about the seat.

Right now it is really cold around here -25C according to my outdoor thermometer.........brrrrrrrrrrrr. But I figure if I start the engine and turn on the heat it will be quite comfortable to work on.

Plus I have a lot of time to spare right now.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 01:29 PM   #2

Hi Farkey; Most Monaco seats are attached with 4 nuts on studs from the coach floor. Just a matter of removing the 4 nuts and lifting the chair and base off the studs. If you seat is electric you need to disconnect the harness before removal. Lots of owners remove the passenger seat to remove the old Norcold refer through the front door and install a residential refer in their coach. Yes, I am small, I think I am, and it is a bear to get under the dash to do anything. Hope this info is useful and man, that's cold outside.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farkey View Post
I have a number of wires on the drivers side under the dash of my 2002 Monaco 40 foot Diplomat that I intend to remove or return them from where they came from.

The biggest and probably the only problem, is me. I'm not the smallest guy on the planet and to get comfortably under the dash so I could work freely, I will need to remove the driver's seat.

I have not really spent any time looking at how easy/difficult this could be, but I'm hoping that someone here has some real information about the seat.

Right now it is really cold around here -25C according to my outdoor thermometer.........brrrrrrrrrrrr. But I figure if I start the engine and turn on the heat it will be quite comfortable to work on.

Plus I have a lot of time to spare right now.
-25C, brrr is right.. It was 70F today here.

What was said above is correct. Only think I can add is when you move the chair around, be aware of the wires. It's easy to set the chair on them and do some damage.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:25 AM   #4

Farkey-

There are two places to detach the seat. The first is the floor bolts, as recommended above. The second is at the top of the pedestal.

On our coach, it's difficult to access the underside of the floor bolts. And, they are big.

Instead, I remove the four nuts that hold the seat to the top of the pedestal. That does leave the pedestal in place. It's not hard to work around.

Remember to unclip any wires or controls that run between the floor and the bottom of the seat, before removing the seat from the pedestal.

On the wiring cleanup, best wishes. I did this both under and inside the dash. I suggest that you not remove wiring the factory installed, even if its current use is unclear. You may need it later.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:31 AM   #5

First time I pulled my driver's seat (bolts down through the floor to nuts welded to the steel plate under the floor) I needed a breaker bar and a 2 foot steel tube over the breaker bar to give me 3 feet of leverage.

I don't know what was used, but I am guessing it was some type of thread locking compound and every turn of the bolt required a huge effort - but it could also have been corrosion as the bolt threads hung down in the stream of road filth coming off the front tires. They didn't spin freely after I broke them free, in fact I bought a big impact driver (110V and 1/2 inch) and it stalled on the bolts.

I'm not kidding, I'm a big guy and can put a lot of torque on a lever, but even with a 3 foot lever I was sweating. If you have bolts instead of nuts exposed at the base of your seat I suggest you do as Mark proposed and leave the pedestal in place.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal