Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
seelevel sensors and other stuff?

Looks like we'regonna have a few nice days in chicagoland, in I'm gonna get in and under the knight.
Chassuis is rr8r, engine is isb-360hp

1: I know what oil filter to order, but what is the lil filter behind it?
2: Everything I see on the allison wants to know if I have a 2" or 4" pan? Huh?
3: does anyone have a lube diagram for an rr8r?
4: where are the air dryer filters, and what r they and where can I buy them?
5: do I need to change coolant on an 08 with 30k miles? And if so, with what, how much, where to buy it, and see above about that little filter by the oil filter?
6: I have this huge davidson air filter in the rear drivers side corner... what # is it and where can I buy one?

I'm gonna install a seelevel 709 system... anyone do this on a coach similar to mine? Got any tips, tricks, pics?

hopyfully by the end of the week, I'll have all of this done, or everything I don't have ordered.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ok. That looks like it says it is a dionaldson P533830 air filter....

And oit for sure looks lik it needs to be changed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120306_135428.png
Views:	91
Size:	391.7 KB
ID:	18515   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120306_135643.png
Views:	84
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	18516  

Old 03-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The easy fuel filter, a 5636, replaced byu cummins 2 weeks ago
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120306_140208.png
Views:	79
Size:	358.1 KB
ID:	18517  
Old 03-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The guy at cummins said if I opened up this side panel, i'd find some good stuff. Sure enough, behing the dash air condensor, a 3954904 fuel filter / water separator, the power gear jack pump, and a really big upside down filtwer thing.

Hmmm, who knows what this is, and if it ever need replacing?
It look hydraulic. It's not part of or at all connected to the powergear stuff... numbers on it are 432 420 220 2 amd then 0701.
Anyone know what it is?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120306_140406.png
Views:	77
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	18518   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120306_140432.png
Views:	82
Size:	362.0 KB
ID:	18519  

Name:	ForumRunner_20120306_140534.png
Views:	93
Size:	459.7 KB
ID:	18520   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120306_141145.png
Views:	81
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	18521  

Old 03-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Looks loike they did change the oil and filter right before I picked up the coach last year, 3 11 11 written on the filter in marker.

What is that big. Thing strapped to the side of the engine, and should it be covered with greasy black stuff?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120306_141737.png
Views:	90
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	18522   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120306_141806.png
Views:	90
Size:	437.0 KB
ID:	18523  

Name:	ForumRunner_20120306_141925.png
Views:	75
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	18524  
Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
2" or 4". Trans pan?
Ruler sAys 3"...
Filter covers have stickers thatt say 4447.

What filter kit do I need?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120306_142520.png
Views:	73
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	18526  
Old 03-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Shocks are bilstiens, yellow and metal all the way up, obviously original
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120306_142735.png
Views:	80
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	18527  
Old 03-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Starting to feel like an idiot under here, that's 2" of daylight between the right rear tire and thee pavement....

Oh well, I hasn't fallen on me yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120306_142912.png
Views:	80
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	18528  
Old 03-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't have that on my ISL, but I'm guessing it might be a coolant filter.

Allison keeps changing their recommnedations on when to change fluid. On mine, you changed at 5000 and then again at 50000. I think on yours, its 50000. You probably don't need to change it yet.

I have the original lube manual that Monaco use to sell. It has some lube diagrams. If you need it, I would need you to PM me with an email address and I will scan the book.

Its probably easier to describe it to you. Starting at the front. There are three fittings on the steering column. One is inside the coach and requires you to take off the shroud around the base of the steering column. The second one you'll probably need to access through the generator bay. The third is down below.

The front end you should be able to see all of the zerks, including one on top of both kingpins. You may need to turn the steering wheel slightly to get to one on the driver's side. The steering arm blocks access.

The driveshaft is the MOST important. There are two zerks on each u-joint. You only need to access one to fill the u-joint. It will probaly take a LOT of grease, so don't give up....just keep pumping. An air grease gun like the Kobalt at Lowes works great. There is a fitting on the slip joint. You need to grease this while sticking your finger between the u-joint that is attached to the slip joint and the back of the slip joint. You'll be able to feel about a 1/4" hole on the back of the slip joint. If you don't plug it with your finger, the grease will pump out of this hole, rather than out the end of the slip joint. There are two zerks on and around the brkae cans. Don't go crazy on the fitting on each brake can, it can cause the brakes to bind up for a few minutes next time you drive it.

On the driver's side of your coach, you should have a perforated door near the left rear wheel. It has two barrel locks that keep it closed. Unlock and lift the door. There you will see the condenser for your dash A/C. It has a barrel lock on the right side. Unlock it, swing it out and let the upper door come down and rest on it, holding it open. You should have three filters in that bay. The big black upside down oil filter looking one on the left side is your air dryer. It should be a Wabco. They're about $80.00 and should be changed at least every two or three years. I carry a spare. If it gets wet (internally) it could fail and lock up your brakes. Against the back wall should be your two fuel filters. If you change these (I change mine every year and carry spares) prefill them with clean diesel in the CENTER hole first and then reinstall to prevent having a start-up problem.

While you're in that bay, there should be a large hydraulic pump laying on its side at the bottom of the bay. This runs your jacks. The rearward end of the pump is the reservoir and just kind of hangs in the air with no support. This has been a problem for a lot of people. It causes the tank to crack/leak. Now is the time to make a support for it between the two frame rails that it hovers over. Bolt in a piece of metal with a rubber cushion under it.

5: do I need to change coolant on an 08 with 30k miles? And if so, with what, how much, where to buy it, and see above about that little filter by the oil filter?
I wouldn't touch your coolant for at least another year or so.

6: I have this huge davidson air filter in the rear drivers side corner... what # is it and where can I buy one?
The number should be in your manual. The brand is Donaldson and the number on mine is P533930. I buy all of my parts from the Spartan Chassis trailer that travels around the country to various events. I just bought all of my filters, Oil, (2) fuel, air, hydraulic, ONAN air, fuel and oil all for $335.00 from their truck. You can order from them by phone.

I created a form with all of my filters that I use each year when I buy mine. Here is what it looks like.

ENGINE ISL 400

OIL - LF9009 (FLEETGUARD)
AIR - P533930 (DONALDSON)
FUEL PRIMARY - FS1003 (FLEETGUARD)
FUEL SECONDARY - FF5488 (FLEETGUARD)

HYDRAULIC FILTER - 83213DE (TEN MICRON)
DESICCANT FILTER - R950011 (MERITOR WABCO)

ENGINE OIL
15-40 ROTELLA 26 QUARTS W/FILTER

TRANSMISSION OIL (ALLISON MH3)
TRANSYND

ONAN GENERATOR 8500 MODEL #8HDKAK11451J
15-40 ROTELLA 3 QUARTS W/FILTER
OIL FILTER- 122-0833 ONAN
AIR FILTER 140-2897 ONAN
FUEL FILTER 149-2513 ONAN

BRAKE FLUID - DOT 3

GREASE MULTI - PURPOSE LITHIUM SOAP BASE

GEAR OIL - PENZOIL GEAR PLUS SUPER -EW 75W-90, SYNTHETIC

COOLANT 50/50 - FINAL CHARGE

*****Some locations and filter numbers may be different on your coach. Don't forget to order some PacBrake lube (squeeze bottle) and lube the Pac Brake at least once or twice a year. The driveshaft is suppose to be lubed every 5000 miles. I know you know a lot of this stuff, but I put all the info in.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
Looks like we'regonna have a few nice days in chicagoland, in I'm gonna get in and under the knight.
Chassuis is rr8r, engine is isb-360hp

I'm gonna install a seelevel 709 system... anyone do this on a coach similar to mine? Got any tips, tricks, pics?

hopyfully by the end of the week, I'll have all of this done, or everything I don't have ordered.
1. The little filter may be the secondary fuel filter. I don't think Monaco was using coolant filters in '08.
2. 4"
3. Monaco tech support will email one.
4. The air dryer filter is the upside down one.
5. You should be checking and adjusting the SCA level of your coolant. Coolant
change may not be necessary. Regardless, you shoud check SCA levels once or twice per year.
6. Get the numbers off of it or get the correct numbers from Monaco tech support.
7. You have an ISC not an ISB.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Okay.....I see that your fuel filters are in a different location than the ISL....( I thought they were). In your photo of the fuel filter there is a black tank to the left of it with a "T" knob on top. That is your hydraulic filter. Loosen the "T" knob and remove the lid. With clean hands, reach inside and you can pull out the hydraulic filter. You're going to get oily. There should be a couple fo washers that come out with it. Just rememeber to put them back in. Your filter tank looks taller than mine and might take the larger filter. Mine is about the size of half a soup can. The larger model is about the size of a full soup can.

On the ISL, the fule filters are together. Steve is probably correct and that's your second filter. At some point, Monaco started using Organic Acid Technology coolant (OAT) taht doesn't require using/checking SCA's/DCA's. You may want to determine what you have. Definitely when you change coolant, go with the OAT coolant. No maintenance and it runs slightly cooler.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #12

JimM, go to any good truck supply or Napa and get your air filter, it is a pain to get out, and about as hard to get back in. Just be sure it is seated. While your in there clean out the housing.

The small filter may be your second fuel filter. The one behind the ac stuff is the water/seperator or 1st fuel filter. The other upside down filter looks like the air dryer, does it have air lines going into the housing. You can get it at NAPA also. You will need a good strap wrench to get it off AFTER YOU BLEED ALL THE AIR OFF very important step all air must be out of the system. I can scan you a page from my manual when I get into night for the lube points on the 06 RR8 if you want. Measure your pan from the flange to the bottom. The reason they need to know is that they have a filter set for each. I can also send you a scanned artical on changing the fluid in your allsion if you want. Not sure what type of fluid you have in the rad, check and see if there is a little tag on the reservior. Hope this helps.

George
Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Army EOD brought up some important issues about the filter. NEVER remove it and blow it out and replace. You should also not remove it to just check it. If you remove it...replace it. The filter goes straight in on a lot of them, but the flange it slides over is at an angle...dumb design.....and is difficult to get back on.

Once the filter is out, VERY CAREFULLY use a damp cloth and wipe out the dust in the housing. I always use a very small amount of lubricant just on the outside edge of the metal flange before I slide the new filter in. Before you remove the old one, look at how far the lid seats onto the housing. When installing the new filter, make sure the lid seats the same, ensuirng the filter is in correctly. Use the three nuts, tightening in small increments, several times to seat the cover.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #14

Look for a name on those shocks. I'll bet they are Monroe's which are also yellow. I don't think Monaco used Bilsteins on the Knight.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote