RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #1

Hello All,

Re: 2007 Monaco Cayman 36PDQ
5.9 ISB 325HP Low Torque Engine(Pre ULSD with 5k miles)
Allison 2500-MH Transmission
Gen Set: 8.0 KW Onan Diesel (26 hours use)
Purchased: Late August 2007

I saw the post in regards to the 5k transmission service and it got me thinking, I am right at 5k miles and tried calling my local Allison service center however they require the serial number for the transmission which I don't have at this time. Not to mention I have to crawl under the unit to get and it is snowing, so will be a bit before I can get the low down on that but will let you all know what they say once I do.

Then I started thiking about the engine oil and Generator service, as I mentioned I just have 5k miles on my unit now with only 26 hours on the generator. I called Cummins for info and they suggested reading the manual further but mentioned they recommend changing the oil annually or every 15k miles which ever is first. Now my dilemma is the fact I purchased in late August and I am sure it sat on the dealers lot for a while so do I go ahead and do the service based on time? Or should I wait until the end of the season and do it then so it is stored with fresh oil??

My apologies as I am trying to weed through this and do not have my manuals as they are in the unit in storage............is there anything else you all can think of off the top of your head that I will need to get serviced, lubed, etc??

Thanks,

Tony2

P.S. Can any of you recommend an alternative in the Calgary area for Cummins and Allison service aside from their own service centers? Just want to make sure I am getting a competitive price and service on routine maintenance. If there is a shop that does both that would be even better!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #2

Hello All,

Re: 2007 Monaco Cayman 36PDQ
5.9 ISB 325HP Low Torque Engine(Pre ULSD with 5k miles)
Allison 2500-MH Transmission
Gen Set: 8.0 KW Onan Diesel (26 hours use)
Purchased: Late August 2007

I saw the post in regards to the 5k transmission service and it got me thinking, I am right at 5k miles and tried calling my local Allison service center however they require the serial number for the transmission which I don't have at this time. Not to mention I have to crawl under the unit to get and it is snowing, so will be a bit before I can get the low down on that but will let you all know what they say once I do.

Then I started thiking about the engine oil and Generator service, as I mentioned I just have 5k miles on my unit now with only 26 hours on the generator. I called Cummins for info and they suggested reading the manual further but mentioned they recommend changing the oil annually or every 15k miles which ever is first. Now my dilemma is the fact I purchased in late August and I am sure it sat on the dealers lot for a while so do I go ahead and do the service based on time? Or should I wait until the end of the season and do it then so it is stored with fresh oil??

My apologies as I am trying to weed through this and do not have my manuals as they are in the unit in storage............is there anything else you all can think of off the top of your head that I will need to get serviced, lubed, etc??

Thanks,

Tony2

P.S. Can any of you recommend an alternative in the Calgary area for Cummins and Allison service aside from their own service centers? Just want to make sure I am getting a competitive price and service on routine maintenance. If there is a shop that does both that would be even better!!

Old 04-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #3

When we purchased our 2003 Monaco Windsor from a private party it had sat in the heated shed for approximately two years. It had less than 30 hours on the generator and 2275 miles on the coach. I checked all of the liquid levels, aired up the tires, and drove it 500 miles down to the Smokies. On the return trip we stopped at the Nashville Camping World and had the oil and filters changed in the generator and motor, changed the fuel filters, and had the air filter checked. We also had the chassis and drive train greased. We had a leak in a transmission cooler hose so we had that fixed and the tranny fluid checked and topped off. Since then we have changed the oil at 12,000 miles and had all the filters changed then also. Because of the amount of money that is invested in the coach I do not hesitate to have it serviced as it is needed. A Monaco techie (from the plant in Washington) worked with us in Tucson and suggested changing the oil and servicing the chassis every 12,000 miles. This seems to have worked for us. Peace!
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Tony2 & Meandering Retiree...
I would love to give the two of you some "Monaco Karma"
I promise you..it doesn't cost anything and it doesn't hurt either! All you have to do is say "Karma Please" and it will be yours...

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">they require the serial number for the transmission which I don't have at this time. Not to mention I have to crawl under the unit to get and it is snowing, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tony,

You may want to call Monaco and get them to email you a copy of your "Data Card". It will list the model and serial number of all of the major components on your coach. It's a very handy thing to have. All you gotta do is ask for it.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robin_M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">they require the serial number for the transmission which I don't have at this time. Not to mention I have to crawl under the unit to get and it is snowing, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tony,

You may want to call Monaco and get them to email you a copy of your "Data Card". It will list the model and serial number of all of the major components on your coach. It's a very handy thing to have. All you gotta do is ask for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>They sent me one when I requested it. Later I was going through my new owners file box, and low and behold there was one with the new owners stuff. Single sheet, easy to miss. Worth taking a look.

2008 HR Endeavor (DIP) PDQ
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:36 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We also called and received the Data Card from Monaco tech support in an email as a .pdf document. Easy to get and handy to have.

With the La Palma we used to have, the Data Card from the dealer was totally different than the Data Card from Monaco. Different equipment was listed by the dealer. That was just another problem issue with that dealer though.

With the Cayman we are double checking the equipment listed and the serial numbers just to make sure they are correct.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Tony......I don't know if you got the answer you were looking for. I do all of my own servicing so it's a little cheaper for me and more convenient than having to get it into a shop. Keeping in mind that I'm really ANAL I'll give you some ideas on servicing.

We put about 10,000 miles a year on our coach. It's not quite the 15,000 interval, but I change out my engine oil, oil filter, both fuel filters, air dryer filter and air cleaner every year. I also service the generator and change the oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air cleaner. With all that said, if I were only putting 5000 - 8000 miles a year on a coach, I would do all of the above every two years.

Having done this a couple of times, I can do the entire service in about 4-5 hours. I also check the coolant with test strips and clean the radiator with 409 and then fresh water. If you can do your own service, it gives you the opportunity to see what's going on with your drive train and chassis and may come in handy some day if your broken down on the road.

I also grease the driveshaft every 5000 miles which is a Monaco recomendation due to the torque on the driveshafts.

I carry a spare of the two fuel filters and the air dryer filter in the coach.

I hope this helps. (By the way, I'm only able to do all of this because my coach sits in my side yard and I'm cheap!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #9

Monaco Mama,

May I have some karma please?

Meandering Retiree
Old 05-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Meandering Retiree...
Your wish has been granted :... that silly "Karma Pixie Dust" has been sprinkled all over your name and the extra dose has dusted your Windsor! (sorry...but the wind will blow the excess off!)

MM
(ok..off to exercise... mama will be back soon!)

Old 05-10-2008, 07:03 PM   #11

Monaco Mama,

Thank you!

May the wind always be at your back.

Meandering Retiree
Old 05-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Meandering Retiree:
Monaco Mama,

Thank you!

May the wind always be at your back.

Meandering Retiree </div></BLOCKQUOTE>LOL...You must learn I am pretty warped..and the 'wind to my back' gave me a different smell other than diesel! (Sorry...but I grew up with 4 brothers! )
Thanks for such great thoughts!

MM

Old 04-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Tony......I don't know if you got the answer you were looking for. I do all of my own servicing so it's a little cheaper for me and more convenient than having to get it into a shop. Keeping in mind that I'm really ANAL I'll give you some ideas on servicing.

We put about 10,000 miles a year on our coach. It's not quite the 15,000 interval, but I change out my engine oil, oil filter, both fuel filters, air dryer filter and air cleaner every year. I also service the generator and change the oil, oil filter, fuel filter and air cleaner. With all that said, if I were only putting 5000 - 8000 miles a year on a coach, I would do all of the above every two years.

Having done this a couple of times, I can do the entire service in about 4-5 hours. I also check the coolant with test strips and clean the radiator with 409 and then fresh water. If you can do your own service, it gives you the opportunity to see what's going on with your drive train and chassis and may come in handy some day if your broken down on the road.

I also grease the driveshaft every 5000 miles which is a Monaco recomendation due to the torque on the driveshafts.

I carry a spare of the two fuel filters and the air dryer filter in the coach.

I hope this helps. (By the way, I'm only able to do all of this because my coach sits in my side yard and I'm cheap!
Can anyone supply the x-reference numbers for the Onan 5500 oil filter, both fuel filters, and air dryer filter to another brand? I am running all Fram filters on the MH engine and trans and would like to do the same on the gen. I too do as much of the regular service as I can.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to Saber77
RE: Data Card

Thanks so much for the info on how to obtain the data card -- I emailed Monaco this morning and received an immediate response -- the data card contains the manufacturer, model number, and serial number of every component on the coach -- very valuable info! Wished I had this when I filled out all those warranty cards! Thanks again!

Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote