Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Setting up/down info

This may sound lame but I need some firm info on the set up proceedure for my coach. I just purchased a 2002 Monaco Diplomat 38pst 3 slide(what does PST stand for?). While reading the manual, I find bits and pieces of info like, make sure key is off when opening the kitchen slide, but no others are apparent. So my question is: How do you do it...in and out, in order. Air bags, slides and levelers....I have always had a 5th wheel and it was simple.
mak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #2

On my "C" I level, hookups, slides I don't know if it's the correct way but it the way I was taught by my father
Tsronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak1 View Post
This may sound lame but I need some firm info on the set up proceedure for my coach. I just purchased a 2002 Monaco Diplomat 38pst 3 slide(what does PST stand for?). While reading the manual, I find bits and pieces of info like, make sure key is off when opening the kitchen slide, but no others are apparent. So my question is: How do you do it...in and out, in order. Air bags, slides and levelers....I have always had a 5th wheel and it was simple.
PST is just the Monacos designation of coach Body type, go here to see your coach info and the PST style.
http://www.monacocoach.com/StaticFil...02Diplomat.pdf

On a Monaco coach with hydraulic jacks it is important to put the slides out first then level blow the air out or what ever, when you leave start the coach build air pressure retract the jacks then shut the engine down (slides will not work with the ign key on) and put the slides in, there has been a lot of front windshields popped out by not following Monacos procedure. Dont make any difference that I can see with air leveling but I still go by the procedure with air leveling on our coach.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
1. Pull into campsite allowing room on each side for the slides to extend.
2. Turn off engine and get stuff out of bays that will be covered up when you extend slides.
3. Extend slides.
4. Dump air and level coach.

Leaving campsite:
1. Clear everything inside so that slides will not hit anything.
2. Start engine and wait for air to build up to max. You want to be at "ride height".
3. Turn off engine.
4. Retract slides.
5. Go outside and unhook water, electric, cable, etc. and store.
6. Check all bay doors are closed.
7. Do complete walk around looking above and below coach.

There are other ways of doing this and you will learn what works best for you but in all cases, Monaco says to put slide out while aired up to ride height and put slides in after airing up to ride height.

Also, do a search on air brake testing and become familiar with that procedure.
Most of us use a written checklist to make sure we do everything in the right order.
Start yourself one with the basics and change and add to it as you see fit. Good luck and enjoy.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
2. Turn off engine and get stuff out of bays that will be covered up when you extend slides.
3. Extend slides.

Leaving campsite:
2. Start engine and wait for air to build up to max. You want to be at "ride height".
3. Turn off engine.
4. Retract slides.

There are other ways of doing this and you will learn what works best for you but in all cases, Monaco says to put slide out while aired up to ride height and put slides in after airing up to ride height.

Most of us use a written checklist to make sure we do everything in the right order.
Start yourself one with the basics and change and add to it as you see fit. Good luck and enjoy.
Good advice from Barlow46. This is the procedure that we follow.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
3. Extend slides.

Leaving campsite:
3. Turn off engine.
4. Retract slides.

Left out retracting jacks when breaking camp. Assume based on your setup procedure you would retract jacks then pull slides in.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you search the forum there have been some very deep discusions on slides first vs. jacks first. You will find this topic to be as controversial as Ford vs. Chevy or Spare vs. No Spare.

I follow the manufacturers recommendations, hoping they are smarter than me.

When I first owned my coach I used to level the put the slides out the opposite of what Safari said to do. I didn't have any real reason it was just simpler that way. After a couple months of doing it the easy way my kitchen slide didn't like coming in straight anymore, the forward end always lagged the rear end.

Corrected the issue and now follow Safari's guidelines (never move slides while the jacks are down) and no more slide issues.

I don't know your coach but Walt2137 seems to.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:18 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We use the KISS method.
Slides = FIRST OUT - LAST IN
Helps me......
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:16 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Left out retracting jacks when breaking camp. Assume based on your setup procedure you would retract jacks then pull slides in.
The reason he forgot to write that in is because his coach most likely doesn't have jacks. The Dynasty has Air Leveling.

However, you are correct when it comes to coaches that have Hydraulic Jacks which in the case of the OP, could be the situation with his Diplomat.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Proceedure

Thanks to you all for the info. It seems it all works one way or another but will go with Barlow46 because of the organized numbering I am making up a check list for "in and out" of coach and it will be numbered for now as this ol' brain ain't what it used to be. It doesn't look like a lot of wiggle room if a person wants some longevity out of the unit. Everyone please feel free to add to this as I really don't know a heck of a lot about what I'm doing. Bye this I mean quirts, hints and ideas you have come up with over the years. I plan on making pads for the jacks...they will be taking quite a load so plywood might be good..right? Are there commercial units that are better? Again, thank you...
mak1 is offline   Reply With Quote