Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #1

Sheppard M100 Steering Gear

Does anyone have one of these steering gears from a Monaco that they might give, loan, or sell (at a bargain price) to me?

I am in the process of seeing if I can devise a way that the average, mechanically savvy Monaco owner can replace his Sheppard M100 steering gear box with the more common TAS65 series TRW.

The Sheppard gear must have some good qualities, or it would not have remained in production. However, many Monaco owners have experienced considerable lost motion in these gears at very low coach mileages, and the only remedy seems to be to have them rebuilt by an authorized service center. Price of the rebuild seems to vary a bit, but $400 plus freight is an average figure.

Rebuilding might be the end of the issue if the results were satisfactory. Unfortunately, it appears to me that the Sheppard gear cannot be assembled new, OR rebuilt, in such a manner that the lost motion is zero or near zero. Many owners are particularly sensitive to play in the steering wheel. I happen to be one of them, but I have never had a Sheppard gear.

The TRW-style gears are all adjustable to have zero backlash in the center position. The design seems much better suited to motor homes in general, to the people who drive them, and especially to the Roadmaster chassis. The Roadmaster IMO is more susceptible to wandering/handling problems than most other chassis, and any steering gear lost motion compounds that problem. To Roadmaster's credit, there is probably not any other chassis design that provides a better ride, even though it uses a solid front axle.

I would like to have a Sheppard gear to use in investigating the possibility of easily making the change to a TRW-style gear. Having the Sheppard gear in hand would make the process much easier. Engineering drawings (drawings with dimensions) of the exterior of the Sheppard gear would be an immense help, and might make this experiment possible without even having the Sheppard gear in hand. But I think getting those drawings might be extremely difficult.

As a last resort, if any of you live close enough to eastern NC, and own a coach with a Sheppard gear, might you be willing to drive here so that I could see your installation and make sketches of it? Or I could possibly come to you. If you have a problem with your Sheppard gear, you might become a beneficiary of this experiment.

Lastly, I suspect there are quite a few forum members eager to make a knee-jerk post telling me of the near-certainty of apocalyptic, tragic results from modifying any steering components on this or any other vehicle. Many of them may never read as far as this last paragraph, since A.D.D. is common among those folks. PLEASE, bear in mind that Monaco has used these two steering boxes almost interchangeably, so this is not rocket science. Also, this country has thousands of technically savvy folks entirely competent to complete this sort of modification with the utmost excellence and craftsmanship. I am only one of them.

Thanks in advance.

Van W 2000 Dynasty 36, pulling one Harley
Eastern NC

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #2

My last coach was a MCI-9 bus conversion. It was quite common to exchange the original steering sector which was a power assist system to a full integral steering sector.
Lots of info on the "Bus Nuts" and "Bus Conversion" forums.
Good luck, Iver.

Topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topman View Post
My last coach was a MCI-9 bus conversion. It was quite common to exchange the original steering sector which was a power assist system to a full integral steering sector.
Lots of info on the "Bus Nuts" and "Bus Conversion" forums.
Good luck, Iver.
Thanks, Iver!! I'll look there.

Eastern NC
Old 05-25-2014, 06:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Van,

What city in NC do you reside, I live in Atlanta. We seem to be chasing this together and if need be a coach with the Sheppard M100 could arrive at your door. I would hope someone could chime in that was closer but this steering box "issue" needs to be addressed and I will do what it takes.

I am going to Little Rock this week, parental stuff, then I do not have any trips planned until late August. A Erie PA run.

Thanks for keeping this going !
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #5

Van,

First of all let me say a huge "Thank You" for all your terrific contributions to all of us in the "Monaco world"! The sharing of your knowledge to us "gear heads" is quite appreciated!

I have a '04 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ.........with a *&^%#! "unadjustable" Shepherd box and will be meeting up with some new Motorcoach friends at Mama Gertie's Hide a way RV park in Asheville NC June 19-21 if you'd like to take a look at ours.

I would really enjoy seeing what I would need to do to replace the Shepherd with a TRW since mine has a huge amount play and everything else had been checked out thoroughly and have replaced the shocks and tires without much help.

Mike
Maddog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog7 View Post
Van,

First of all let me say a huge "Thank You" for all your terrific contributions to all of us in the "Monaco world"! The sharing of your knowledge to us "gear heads" is quite appreciated!

I have a '04 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ.........with a *&^%#! "unadjustable" Shepherd box and will be meeting up with some new Motorcoach friends at Mama Gertie's Hide a way RV park in Asheville NC June 19-21 if you'd like to take a look at ours.

I would really enjoy seeing what I would need to do to replace the Shepherd with a TRW since mine has a huge amount play and everything else had been checked out thoroughly and have replaced the shocks and tires without much help.

Mike
Mike, stay tuned. More later. Really busy today. Back to you later.

Eastern NC
Old 05-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog7 View Post
Van,

Mike
Mike, keep an eye on the "Wandering" thread on the Monaco Owners forum. Things are developing there about the Sheppard-to-TRW swap.

Would love to meet you, but we have obligations for the time you will be near Asheville.

Van W 2000 Dynasty 36 pulling one Harley
Eastern NC
Old 05-30-2014, 03:44 AM   #8

Thanks Van......will do! Hopefully our paths will cross someday down the road.

Maddog7
Maddog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:53 AM   #9

I have excessive steering play on my 2005 Endeavor the current steering box is a Sheappard M100, I believe it needs to be changed to a TRW TAS 65?
can anyone steer me in the right direction to solve this problem.
Where can I get the parts? Including pitman arm bolts etc?
Old 11-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Prespoole39 go here for that info, do a search.
Steering Box Play- Sheppard M100 SHIM or Swap for a TRW ?

2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering