Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #15

We changed out the Monroes for Bilsteins at roughly 5000 miles, the improvement was more than expected, very pleased with the decision. As I have mentioned on other posts, the Monroes were so inadequate it seemed criminal that they were installed in the first place, must have been an accountant at Monaco's decision. Regardless of your final choice, anything will be a 100%+ improvement over the Monroes.
BHEMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Jumpin in here, late as usual. Been reading alot of the posts and got a lot of questions. Got a 2003 Dipl. RR8R. I got the ride checked at Henderson's (Oregon) at about 25000 miles. They mentioned Koni shocks back then but I figured the rv wasn't that old. They told me the ride was not bad on my old Monroe factory shocks. I'm now at 60000 miles. Some of the ride characteristics some of you are describing are beginning to seem familiar.
Jarring shake going over cracks in the roadway. Leaning on turns seems a bit more that usual. My problem is that I've grown used to my current ride and not sure about the shocks. I gotta figure though at 60000 plus, my old shocks gotta be on the way out. Reading the reports here about the Koni schocks has got me wondering. Kinda getting interested to see if new shocks will make a big difference in the overall ride. At the prices I've seen, I would hope they do more than give a "little" better ride. Don't know much about these.

Are there different sizes for the front and back? One of the sites mentioned the size of the upper bolt, 18mm vs 3/4? Different shocks? Is there an easy way of telling which ones I would use? Anyone found any great prices? I noticed that Koni had an add on their site about the FMCA show in New Mexico about installation. (past, but Redmond is coming up) Is it better (read cheaper) to get it done at a show?
Galvanizd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvanizd View Post
Jumpin in here, late as usual. Been reading alot of the posts and got a lot of questions. Got a 2003 Dipl. RR8R. I got the ride checked at Henderson's (Oregon) at about 25000 miles. They mentioned Koni shocks back then but I figured the rv wasn't that old. They told me the ride was not bad on my old Monroe factory shocks. I'm now at 60000 miles. Some of the ride characteristics some of you are describing are beginning to seem familiar.
Jarring shake going over cracks in the roadway. Leaning on turns seems a bit more that usual. My problem is that I've grown used to my current ride and not sure about the shocks. I gotta figure though at 60000 plus, my old shocks gotta be on the way out. Reading the reports here about the Koni schocks has got me wondering. Kinda getting interested to see if new shocks will make a big difference in the overall ride. At the prices I've seen, I would hope they do more than give a "little" better ride. Don't know much about these.

Are there different sizes for the front and back? One of the sites mentioned the size of the upper bolt, 18mm vs 3/4? Different shocks? Is there an easy way of telling which ones I would use? Anyone found any great prices? I noticed that Koni had an add on their site about the FMCA show in New Mexico about installation. (past, but Redmond is coming up) Is it better (read cheaper) to get it done at a show?
If you have a 2003 RR8R these are the shocks that Koni says you need:
Koni-RV

If you still have the original Monroe Shocks they must be completely shot. I changed all 8 of mine at 12,000 miles and some of the Monroe shocks were already shot.

I know it seems like a high price to pay for 8 Koni shocks but you will wonder why you did not put them on long ago. When you drive the coach with all 8 Koni shocks installed you will have a big smile on your face. They will improve the ride, sway, handling, and reduce the effect of passing trucks and cross wind. Dollar for dollar installing the Koni shocks has been one of the best improvements I have made to our Diplomat.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #18

bob, not to hijack this thread but how was your trip back from gulf shores? we were running a little behind you. we also had lunch with rex and his dw. what nice people and rex being the fountain of knowledge is always great for conversation! jim & sue
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjim View Post
bob, not to hijack this thread but how was your trip back from gulf shores? we were running a little behind you. we also had lunch with rex and his dw. what nice people and rex being the fountain of knowledge is always great for conversation! jim & sue
Hi Jim,

Did not know you were down there or we would have looked you up. We had a good trip all the way around. The weather was kind to us for our entire trip.

Yes, Rex has vast knowledge about many subjects and he and his wife were fun to be with. After our lunch they drove us around for a little tour. We hope to meet them again sometime.

Bob
Old 11-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
SHOCKS

I realize this thread is old but wondered if a person was on a tight budget could he put a set of Konis on the front and then on the back a little later? Seems that would help the most other than putting them all the way around...just a thought.
mak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:21 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Why not, that is what I am doing.

Don
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:04 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak1 View Post
I realize this thread is old but wondered if a person was on a tight budget could he put a set of Konis on the front and then on the back a little later? Seems that would help the most other than putting them all the way around...just a thought.
There should be no problem with that as long as you did all the shocks on the axle at the same time. If you have 8 air bags then that would be four on the front axle and four on the drive axle. If you have 10 air bags there would only be two on the tag axle. If you have a four air bag coach then there would be two shocks up front and two in the rear. Bottom line, do all the shocks on a single axle at the same time.

Bob
Old 11-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I would do the front shocks first if you are doing it that way as from my experience I did the rears first but noticed the biggest improvement when I changed the fronts. I went with the Bilsteins as part of the REK from Source Engineering and the improvement in ride was awesome so if you went with the Bilsteins you could probably do all 8. Just a thought.

CHEERS
Old 11-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Shocks

Thanks to all...Sure would be nice if one of you guys took your new Bilstiens off and put on new Koni's. Then we would all know if the dollar difference was really worth it. Oh come on, it's only money..
mak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
With the Road Master Sway bars front and real and Koni's the ride is incredible. Enough said..............
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
If you are going to do this work yourself you will need a good 3/8 drive air wrench with a swivel air coupler on the end of the air hose where it connect to the wrench. Most of the work at the top of the shock is by feel and it is difficult to get into position and get the wrench on top of the shock. It also helps to have a small body as I do. A large man with large arms may have trouble with this task.

Bob
Anyone else have any comments about access?

At least on my knight, there is a small screw front and rear at the bottom of each fender. Unscrew em and the fender hinges up almost vertical. I didn't look at the shocks much, but the air bags are right there.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mak1 View Post
Thanks to all...Sure would be nice if one of you guys took your new Bilstiens off and put on new Koni's. Then we would all know if the dollar difference was really worth it. Oh come on, it's only money..
Ummmm and I just bet you know someone who would be real willing to take the slightly used Bilsteins of our hands for a greatly discounted price!!!! LOL
Its going to be hard to get a direct comparison of the 2 brands but I do believe I saw a quote or something about an RV Magazine test comparison between some shock brands. Someone else might remember this article.

CHEERS
Old 11-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
mak1......I put on just the front FSD's when they first came out to see if they really solved my issues. I waited six months before I put the rears on.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote