Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Shock Replacement RR8R Roadmaster Chassis

I have a 2007 HR Endeavor 40 PDQ with 30K miles. I want to replace OEM Monroes with either KONI FSD's or the new Bilstein Comfort shocks. My issues are porpoising and the jarring that I experience with the bridge transitions, bumps in the roads and the noise coming into the coach.
There is no issue with cornering of the coach.
I have not heard anyone comment on the NEW Bilsteins, which the company has revalved and revised the damping. My question is whether to go with KONI or the new Bilsteins. I can buy the Bilsteins for half the cost of the KONIs, however, I have not heard ANYTHING about the new Bilsteins. Can anyone help me out?

If the KONIs will work on this chassis and are proved better than the new Bilsteins; I will spend the extra money.

I saw a posting from Diplomat Don who commented on the KONIs. I think he has a coach very similar to mine. Would love to hear a few more opinions from owners with a similar coach and experience with the Konis or Bilsteins.

Thanks for your help. Walt
wwalpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2010, 06:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwalpole View Post
I have a 2007 HR Endeavor 40 PDQ with 30K miles. I want to replace OEM Monroe's with either KONI FSD's or the new Bilstein Comfort shocks. My issues are porpoising and the jarring that I experience with the bridge transitions, bumps in the roads and the noise coming into the coach.
There is no issue with cornering of the coach.
I have not heard anyone comment on the NEW Bilsteins, which the company has revalved and revised the damping. My question is whether to go with KONI or the new Bilsteins. I can buy the Bilsteins for half the cost of the KONIs, however, I have not heard ANYTHING about the new Bilsteins. Can anyone help me out?

If the KONIs will work on this chassis and are proved better than the new Bilsteins; I will spend the extra money.

I saw a posting from Diplomat Don who commented on the KONIs. I think he has a coach very similar to mine. Would love to hear a few more opinions from owners with a similar coach and experience with the Konis or Bilsteins.

Thanks for your help. Walt
Walt,

I can't help answer your question about Koni versus Bilsteins because I went from the original Monroe's to the Koni FSD's. The difference was dramatic to say the least. The best mod we have done to the Diplomat hands down! One thing I will point out is that the Koni shock adjust the dampening according to the impact and frequency of the bump, hence the term FSD in the name. The older Koni shocks did not have the FSD and would compare the same to the Bilsteins.

If you are going to do this work yourself you will need a good 3/8 drive air wrench with a swivel air coupler on the end of the air hose where it connect to the wrench. Most of the work at the top of the shock is by feel and it is difficult to get into position and get the wrench on top of the shock. It also helps to have a small body as I do. A large man with large arms may have trouble with this task.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
JDT

I put the Koni FSD's on my 05 Ambassador 38PST last year to cure exactly the same issues you mention. All I can say is it worked. Best modification so far. It would be nice if the new Bilstiens worked as well as the Koni's. Not cheap for 8 of the Koni's.

JimT
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Walt,

I can't help answer your question about Koni versus Bilsteins because I went from the original Monroe's to the Koni FSD's. The difference was dramatic to say the least. The best mod we have done to the Diplomat hands down! One thing I will point out is that the Koni shock adjust the dampening according to the impact and frequency of the bump, hence the term FSD in the name. The older Koni shocks did not have the FSD and would compare the same to the Bilsteins.

If you are going to do this work yourself you will need a good 3/8 drive air wrench with a swivel air coupler on the end of the air hose where it connect to the wrench. Most of the work at the top of the shock is by feel and it is difficult to get into position and get the wrench on top of the shock. It also helps to have a small body as I do. A large man with large arms may have trouble with this task.

Bob
hey Nodine. I know you live up the road in Ktown. Did you get the Koni's locally or order them? I think I will replace mine also as they are the original 2006 models.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattacuda View Post
hey Nodine. I know you live up the road in Ktown. Did you get the Koni's locally or order them? I think I will replace mine also as they are the original 2006 models.
chattacuda,

I ordered my Koni shocks online. You can go to their website and find the model numbers you need to order. Then look around the internet and find the best price or order them from Koni in Lexington.

Koni-RV

KONI North America - RV Divison
1961 International Way • Hebron • KY • 41048
Telephone: (866) 566-4175 • Fax:(859) 334-3340

Have a great day,

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:48 AM   #6

we put the koni fsd's on our rr8r chassis almost two yrs ago and agree it was the single best thing we did to our mh. are they worth the $'s ask my dw. that will tell the real story! jim. ps. we purchased ours from our local cummins center (bridgeway) they were about 8 bucks more per shock but we try to buy local when we can.
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cool

Went with the Konis, ordered them from Shox.com, should get them next week. Will report back after installation. Thanks for your response. Walt
wwalpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:34 PM   #8

Ordered my FSD'd from Brazel's have not installed yet as I have been working on the interior flooring installation. Will let you know but I am sure it will be what you have already heard. Best thing they could have done for the ride.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:12 PM   #9

Walt, I just recently replaced my original Monroe shocks with the new Bilsteins. RR8S chassis on a 2007 Beaver Contessa. Same shock but just attaches differently.

Very pleased. No more does the whole coach shudder on every bump. Everything feels much more solid. The wife says its ride is more firm. We too considered Koni's. Maybe they are a little better although I have seen no direct comparison. I have a hard time believing they are twice as good because they are twice the price. There has been an improvement in handling/turning etc. Doesn't feel as top heavy in turns.

All in all, very happy with the purchase from Shox.com

ken 2007 Beaver Contessa

2018 Entegra Aspire 44W .
Ken Sair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #10

Koni FSD's

I put on the Koni FSD's yesterday on my 2002 Holiday Rambler 40 PBT 3 slide. Trying to get everything done before my back surgery in two weeks. Anyways wow what a difference! Yes they were very expensive and it blew my mind to think of spending that much money on 8 shocks but I figured one of the reasons we bought a diesel pusher was because we hated the way our 94 fleetwood coronado rode. Even when I put new airbags in the front springs it still rode like crap and floated all over the road.

This 40 foot Endeavor with the Roadmaster Chassis drives sooooo nice and now with the Koni FSD's it is like a new motorhome. It is so stable and drives so straight you would never guess it is 40 feet long. So my recommendation is for the 8 bag Roadmaster Chassis if you can afford the Kon FSD's that is the way to go. My wife can now drive this beast and she would never think of driving a rv this big.

Jim
Old 03-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Bilsteins and 00 Monaco Diplomat 36B

Re-posted from another thread that 'died'....

I can't comment on the Koni's, but can for the new re-valved Bilsteins.

I replaced all 8 of the original Monroes last month on our 2000 Diplomat 36B.

We are well pleased. Didn't have any porpoising as an initial complaint, but the ride was extremely rough and jarring. If you hit any bump the whole coach shook and felt like you hit a brick wall. When I pulled the old shocks, 2 of them didn't even work i.e. they didn't expand at all when removed.

The ride is vastly improved after replacing the shocks and adjusting the ride height. Still not as cushy as our previous Gulfstream w/ 4 bags, but the Diplomat handles infinitely better on the road with more of a 'tuned suspension' feeling. Drives like a dream now. We are very happy and pleased with the decision to go with the new Bilsteins. That said.... I would really like to have been able to try Konis and Bilsteins side-by-side to see if there is a difference.

Those who have purchased Konis are unanimous in their praise. I also know that just about *anything* would have been an improvement from the original stock Monroe shocks that had 55k miles on them. Wish I could afford to try both sets side by side...

Just my .02

John
2000 Diplomat 36B
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
You can go to their website and find the model numbers you need to order. Then look around the internet and find the best price or order them from Koni in Lexington.

Koni-RV
Interesting. I tried looking up FSD shocks for my '07 RR8R chassis. When you go to the site, select Roadmaster, and look at the model choices, the available options are:
  • 4 bag
  • 8 bag 93-02
  • 8 bag 03-06
  • 10 bag 93-06
Are the owners of '07 and later out of luck?
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Interesting. I tried looking up FSD shocks for my '07 RR8R chassis. When you go to the site, select Roadmaster, and look at the model choices, the available options are:
  • 4 bag
  • 8 bag 93-02
  • 8 bag 03-06
  • 10 bag 93-06
Are the owners of '07 and later out of luck?
When go to the site, you see Shop online with a drop-down window. Pick Monaco, instead of Roadmaster and it will come up with the right ones.
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandys Man View Post
When go to the site, you see Shop online with a drop-down window. Pick Monaco, instead of Roadmaster and it will come up with the right ones.
Thanks. Wow, how did I miss that? I swear it Monaco wasn't on the list a few minutes ago..

Did you just edit the site and add it to the list?
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote