Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I paid about $375 to replace two Koni's on the drive axle. No room to do it without removing the wheels too. But I got the shocks off eBay for $99 plus shipping for the pair so it came out alright. Now going to have to go to small claims court to get paid since Cummins NW broke them and claims they didn't. Good thing I took pictures before and after!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 05:44 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced my shocks my self.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:24 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by castrol View Post
I like this thread. I honestly expected the Monaco to ride a lot better than it does. There is no telling HOW old the shocks are on the old girl. I might have to add this little upgrade to the list. Are you guys installing yourselves?
Before you spend time replacing the shocks, I suggest that you have your coach weighed and find out what the weight is on each axle. Then adjust your tire pressures accordingly. It can make a world of difference in the smoothness of the ride.

I run at the maximum tire pressure for the best ride. If I increase the tire pressure 5 lb., my wife asks why the coach is riding so rough.

Now, if you've got the tire pressures figured out and the coach is still riding too rough, then it may be time for new shocks. The '90s era Monaco coaches had Bilstein shocks which were designed to Monaco specifications, which were really, really stiff shocks. To replace them, the current Bilstein or Koni shocks will make a world of difference.

I changed my shocks myself. Hard work, just take your time to get it done.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
I replaced my shocks my self.
I would have too but the rear tires needed to come off to even get to the bolts. 4-315/80's weigh more than I wanted to tackle then to crawl under on my back on the gravel just wasn't in the plans. I did take the front Koni's loose and reset them for more damping.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I would have too but the rear tires needed to come off to even get to the bolts. 4-315/80's weigh more than I wanted to tackle then to crawl under on my back on the gravel just wasn't in the plans. I did take the front Koni's loose and reset them for more damping.
That would be the old style Konis? I think the new style Konis are not owner adjustable.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:13 PM   #20

Quote:
That would be the old style Konis? I think the new style Konis are not owner adjustable.
Indeed the FSD Koni's are not adjustable.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:27 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Koni makes many different shocks, the ones that Cummins broke were FSD's but they no longer make them for our rig, so the adjustable ones I bought ARE the latest "new style".
Koni doesn't make FSD's for some front axles, like our Reyco Granning 20,000# unit, so all we can get is the adjustable ones.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:01 PM   #22

Mr D, you had more than your share of problems with Cummins..... Which branch was it? In CA?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-17-2015, 11:19 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Mr D, you had more than your share of problems with Cummins..... Which branch was it? In CA?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
No, Cummins NW in Portland OR. I was warned by a friend not to go there but that was after the fact!
Yep, broken bedroom door, broken shock and then the, what I think, were overcharges on the rebuild, plus scratches and dings to the woodwork that I'm not even asking for anything on. Just took some touch up and filler. The door took a little more work though.
Our salesman says he's seen the shocks bend and break like that if the rig is driven over a curb or other obstruction with the tag up. Causes the whole rig to go side to side and if the door isn't locked in place it breaks it too. All of which is exactly what happened.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:44 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
Willie300s -- Bill, I, with alot of help from the Danes, replaced the 10 shocks on our 42ft Camelot -- It uses the pin & eye shocks -- In some cases, we just slipped the dust coved down, & used vise grips on the top part of the rod -- Then slipped the cover back n place -- I used the comfort Bilsteins, & they furnish a good ride -- I paid about $80.00 each -- Bill Willard
William
Thanks for the "slip the dust cover down" idea. I'll try that if I ever get the notion to replace the rear shocks. That tip would have saved me about 4 hours replacing the 4 front shocks.
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:37 AM   #25

I am getting ready to replace the 4 front shocks with Bilstein Comfort on my 1998 Dynasty. Any suggestions as to how the coach should be i.e airbags filled or dumped, jacks up or down?
Old 06-19-2015, 04:26 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I did mine aired up with the jacks up. Even then you will have to compress the new shocks to get the bottom thru bolt in. I used a small hydraulic jack to compress the shocks.
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #27
YC1

If you are careful, quick, and lucky, you can connect the bottom bolt first and then cut the retaining strap which will let the shock extend tightly into the top mount. It can be a real pain to tighten the top. I used a small vice grip to hold mine.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:08 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
If you are careful, quick, and lucky, you can connect the bottom bolt first and then cut the retaining strap which will let the shock extend tightly into the top mount. It can be a real pain to tighten the top. I used a small vice grip to hold mine.
This is what I do on all of my vehicles. I've never attempted it on a motorhome though. You just gotta be ready and timing has to be right!
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks