RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2019, 09:43 AM   #1

Shocks

Iím thinking of putting new shocks on my 2004 Camelot. Iím not experiencing any kind of porpoising, however i think 15 year old shocks need to be replaced. I have two questions:
1. Can it be done in my drive way. Iíve done shocks before but not on a 34000 pound vehicle.
2. Koni or Bilstein?

DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2019, 11:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Shocks are a hot topic on this forum. You can do a search and find lots of reading.
I replaced the shocks on our coach sitting in the driveway. I raised the air suspension up all the way and placed heavy jack stands under the frame. Some guys are blocking the frame up on the suspension H frames.

I installed Bilsteins on the rear. The rear axle takes 4 shocks and the front takes 4 shocks. The tag axle coach has two additional shocks.
Bilstein's were about $90 each on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Several owners, (especially the Spartan chassis owners) are raving about Koni shocks on the front. I'm headed towards installing Koni's up front. They are supposed to soften the bit hit on bridge abutments. The only issue is they are double the price. You can find Koni shocks at Shock Warehouse.
https://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/...hoCruQQAvD_BwE

Your other choice is custom Bilstein shocks from Source engineering. Some owners are very pleased with Source Engineering shocks.
Read post 26 on changing shocks:
Broken upper shock mounting stud, drivers side rear drive axle

Note: Shock Warehouse has a great online data base for looking up motor home shocks. However, when I search for a 2004 Camelot it only shows the Bilstein part number. When I search for Diplomat, Dynasty, Executive, Navigator, Signature, or Windsor it shows both Bilstein and Koni. I would expect the Windsor and Diplomat shocks to be identical to the Camelot. So, you may need to do some research if you decide to install Koni shocks on the front.
https://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/...ssis-Motorhome

vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'm changing my front shocks (4) now - today, in the driveway. I drove the coach up onto some stacked 2x10s to get a little extra height. The shock bolts on my coach are 3/4" (1-1/8 socket) and were not too hard to remove. I have all the old shocks out and am now waiting for delivery of the new shocks.

I ordered the Koni FSD shocks. I read a detailed thread on the Koni FSD vs Bilstein Comfort shocks (the technology in the shock, valving, gases, etc.) and decided the Koni technology is superior to the Bilsteins, so that's what I bought.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I did all 4 fronts in a nice driveway. I did the 4 rear in a lot so comfortable crushed rock camp spot. Didn't remove wheels.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:15 PM   #5

Thank you all for the info. I really appreciate it.
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, I'm very interested in your before and after observations with the Koni front shocks.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:39 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I'll report back.
I bought them from "UltraRV Products".

Same price as Shock warehouse - but SW has a lot of bad reviews about poor shipping times and issues contacting anyone when there is a problem.

UltraRV sent me a tracking number the day after my order was placed. https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Koni...s-Beaver-Coach
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:58 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had my shocks changed at a truck shop in Quebec, but they said there are just 2 shocks on the front.
2002 Monaco Diplomat 40 footer. Weighs 30,000 lbs
Old 09-28-2019, 10:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Farkey, I was under an early 2000's Diplomat 40' coach a few months ago. It was a Roadmaster RR8R chassis. I think the Diplomat transitioned from an RR4R chassis with the ISB engine to the RR8R chassis with the ISC engine around the 2000 model year.

The RR8R has four air bags and four shocks in front and four air bags and 4 shocks in the rear.
Have you looked under your coach yourself?

Download your original brochure here:
https://www.monacocoach.com/resource...27_brc_pdf.pdf
Read note #7 on page 3:
Eight outboard-mounted airbags and shock absorbers for decreased roll.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:29 PM   #10

Replaced the 8 shocks on my 2008 Knight in my driveway. I did remove the wheels and mud flaps to make the access to the top nuts easier, in some locations the access to these nuts and the ability to hold the shock shaft from turning with vise grips was all but impossible to do. They do not make a tool that fits the shock shaft on the model series ( Bilstein) that I used,

I made a wrench from the pattern from one of the shock shafts. The front passenger side front shock was impossible for me to access and put either vise grips or the tool I made for it, as was the accessibility to put a wrench on the top nut. I cut an access door in the entry stairway to access the top of that shock. perhaps due to my age it was not an easy job, but would do it again before I paid someone to do it.

Air bags were not inflated I had to use a hydraulic jack to compress the shocks once I had the top in place to line up the bottom shock mount
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:42 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Front's are easy to get at by turning the steering all the way to one side. You can crawl into the wheel wells, and change one shock on each side. Then you turn the steering all the way the other direction, and can get at the other two.

BTW, Any mechanic that can only find 2 shocks on the front of a RR8R chassis, you probably don't want touching your coach!
Old 09-29-2019, 12:03 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBunker View Post
Iím thinking of putting new shocks on my 2004 Camelot. Iím not experiencing any kind of porpoising, however i think 15 year old shocks need to be replaced. I have two questions:
1. Can it be done in my drive way. Iíve done shocks before but not on a 34000 pound vehicle.
2. Koni or Bilstein?

Dave,

I have a 2006 Camelot 40PDQ that we bought new. I was experiencing a very rough ride and pretty serious porpoising. I had a random conversation with a fellow Monaco owner while at an RV that we like to visit. He recommended that I do three things:

1) Weigh the coach, and set the tire pressure accordingly.

2) Replace the original tires with Michelinís.

3) Replace the original shocks with Koni FSD

I did all three before using the coach again. The difference in ride and handling over the exact same stretch of highway was unbelievable. Much smoother ride, and zero porpoising. Better than when the coach was brand new.

That was many years ago and still very satisfied. Iím convinced that a lot of my ride improvement was merely due to the air pressure adjustment, but I would do everything all over again the same way.

Just my experience

Jim
zo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:20 PM   #13

A good check to see if shocks are working OK is to go for a test drive or next time out use a infra-red temp gauge on shocks. The shocks should be at least 20 degrees hotter then the metal frame and other parts around the shocks. Can get infra-red temp gauge for around 20$ at Harbor Freight and can be used for many other checks. Diesel RV owners should have one on their coach.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zo66 View Post
Dave,

I have a 2006 Camelot 40PDQ that we bought new. I was experiencing a very rough ride and pretty serious porpoising. I had a random conversation with a fellow Monaco owner while at an RV that we like to visit. He recommended that I do three things:

1) Weigh the coach, and set the tire pressure accordingly.

2) Replace the original tires with Michelinís.

3) Replace the original shocks with Koni FSD

I did all three before using the coach again. The difference in ride and handling over the exact same stretch of highway was unbelievable. Much smoother ride, and zero porpoising. Better than when the coach was brand new.

That was many years ago and still very satisfied. Iím convinced that a lot of my ride improvement was merely due to the air pressure adjustment, but I would do everything all over again the same way.

Just my experience

Jim
Hey Jim,

What was the model # of Koni FSD shock you used.

In searching I found quite a few different models but not one thatnspecified use on a motorhome.

Tags
shocks