RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2019, 11:41 PM   #1

Shore Power but no house charging

I have a Magnum 2812 inverter/charger, and it worked fine until something happened today.

I am at Wilderness Lakes, in Menifee, CA. On shore power. Everything is fine, and then, pop, power goes off to almost everything in the house. I figured that we popped the 50 amp breaker somehow.

Went out and checked the breaker, and autoformer, and everything looks fine.

Came back in and found that everything is working as normal, BUT, it's all running off the house batteries. The monitor says that the house batteries are discharging at a high rate.

I shut most things down, as if I was boondocking (thanks Quartzite), and started checking things. Shore power is on, and those things that run directly off of shore power, are fine. But, the only thing that I am sure runs directly from either the generator, or shore power are the air conditioners. They work, and I can see the draw on the Alladin monitor.

The magnum remote indicates that the batteries are NOT being charged. No charge light. The charge button does nothing on the remote.

I checked the voltage coming from the autoformer outside, and it is right at 120 volts, on each side of the 50 amp output, and 240 across both legs.

I have the SurgeGuard 40250 RVC in line as well. It seems to be working fine as well.

There are no fault indicators on the Magnum Inverter, nor on the ME50RC remote. I turned off the inverter and had it go through it's soft rest procedure. No change.

The only thing that I can think of is something with the BCC. The Big Boy Solenoid seems to switch just fine. The only thing that I don't know how to check is the BCC itself.

Any help or ideas, is appreciated.

theBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2019, 12:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBeav View Post
I have a Magnum 2812 inverter/charger, and it worked fine until something happened today.

I am at Wilderness Lakes, in Menifee, CA. On shore power. Everything is fine, and then, pop, power goes off to almost everything in the house. I figured that we popped the 50 amp breaker somehow.

Went out and checked the breaker, and autoformer, and everything looks fine.

Came back in and found that everything is working as normal, BUT, it's all running off the house batteries. The monitor says that the house batteries are discharging at a high rate.

I shut most things down, as if I was boondocking (thanks Quartzite), and started checking things. Shore power is on, and those things that run directly off of shore power, are fine. But, the only thing that I am sure runs directly from either the generator, or shore power are the air conditioners. They work, and I can see the draw on the Alladin monitor.

The magnum remote indicates that the batteries are NOT being charged. No charge light. The charge button does nothing on the remote.

I checked the voltage coming from the autoformer outside, and it is right at 120 volts, on each side of the 50 amp output, and 240 across both legs.

I have the SurgeGuard 40250 RVC in line as well. It seems to be working fine as well.

There are no fault indicators on the Magnum Inverter, nor on the ME50RC remote. I turned off the inverter and had it go through it's soft rest procedure. No change.

The only thing that I can think of is something with the BCC. The Big Boy Solenoid seems to switch just fine. The only thing that I don't know how to check is the BCC itself.

Any help or ideas, is appreciated.

Breakers (pushbuttons) on the inverter? They are on the side with the label and located near the mounting flange. Could be as many as 3 breakers.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:48 AM   #3

Looks like that was the answer. Thank you. I sent you thanks saying that it wasn't the problem, but I had a breaker in the main panel that I had turned off. And when I reset that breaker, on the inverter, nothing happened. :-) As soon as I saw that and reset THAT breaker in the main panel, Voila! Charging the batteries again.
theBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:27 AM   #4

Great fix, but just so you know, nothing in the BCC would effect the 120 volt systems.

All of that is for 12 volt only.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:29 AM   #5
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
IF your ems panel was showing current draw it is probably because of the tripped breaker on the AC panel inside. The EMS does not show current draw when on shoreline or generator so without the power coming through that breaker the coach thought it was on 30 amps and thus showed the current draw.

Now I know these things are snow flakes and not all alike so your setup may be different of course.

Would you mind checking my theory by looking at the ems panel to see if it shows current draws now? Thanks.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBeav View Post
Looks like that was the answer. Thank you. I sent you thanks saying that it wasn't the problem, but I had a breaker in the main panel that I had turned off. And when I reset that breaker, on the inverter, nothing happened. :-) As soon as I saw that and reset THAT breaker in the main panel, Voila! Charging the batteries again.

Tags
charging, power, shore power