Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Shower leak

Anyone have experience with a small leak coming from the shower? I just noticed that our 99 Sig developed a small leak coming from under the shower. It is located above the wet bay and when I took a look up there from underneath the pipes have some drips coming down the sides. Also noticed that the leak is not as bad when the wife uses the shower, like half my weight, then when I use it. It's not real bad just a steady drip that will make a 12 inch circle on the pad underneath. My main concern is that the drip, although it needs to be fixed, also drips down in front of the inverters. Not on them just down in front. Disaster waiting to happen in my opinion. I am thinking that it might be the shower walls have developed a leak and need to be resealed. At least this would explain the difference in the amount of water between myself and the wife. Heavier body makes the gap bigger. Going to try and let the water flow only down the drain and not hit the walls and see what I get and go from there. Just was wondering if anyone has run into this?
Peterson143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I find using toilet tissue wrapped around suspicious leak sources is a way to help pinpoint the leak origin. You are right in wanting to find and fix rather than ignore it, but it might require dismantling the shower. Look for cracks in the shower basin that might be opening under your weight on it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I has a shower leak in my 03 bounder. It was off the drain pipe and found that the pipe didn't go into the shower drain fitting, just up to it. When looking at it you couldn't see a problem but when I pulled down on the pipe you could see a gap. Had to cut all the ABS drain pipe out and install a new shower drain and trap so the pipe actually went into the drain fixture and sealed.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterson143 View Post
Anyone have experience with a small leak coming from the shower? I just noticed that our 99 Sig developed a small leak coming from under the shower. It is located above the wet bay and when I took a look up there from underneath the pipes have some drips coming down the sides. Also noticed that the leak is not as bad when the wife uses the shower, like half my weight, then when I use it. It's not real bad just a steady drip that will make a 12 inch circle on the pad underneath. My main concern is that the drip, although it needs to be fixed, also drips down in front of the inverters. Not on them just down in front. Disaster waiting to happen in my opinion. I am thinking that it might be the shower walls have developed a leak and need to be resealed. At least this would explain the difference in the amount of water between myself and the wife. Heavier body makes the gap bigger. Going to try and let the water flow only down the drain and not hit the walls and see what I get and go from there. Just was wondering if anyone has run into this?
Can you get a visual on the back of the shower valve? My valve backs up to a mirror in the cabinet of the dinette. Take the mirror down, and the valve is exposed.

The 90 degree elbow on the valve sprung a leak and dripped down, eventually getting to the ground outside.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club

There you have it, could be cracked base, leaking drain, or leaking supply valve. Hope that narrows it down for you!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My leak was coming from the water mixing valve also. You have to remove some mirrors in the kitchen to access the valve. Best of luck

2007 42' H/R Scepter & 2010 Equinox Toad
SailHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone. On our 45 Sig the valve access is on the wall in the second bathroom. Four small screws and access panel comes off. I will check it tonight. I always check the obvious or easy solutions first. Most of the time that does the trick.
Peterson143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If you have the grill mounted to the front shower base remove it and take a look. Your floor may be flexing enough to let it leak around the drain. On mine there was not much support for the shower base so I made some filler blocking to support the base in a few areas underneath
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, shower