Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2017, 10:59 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Shower valve

Anybody replace their shower valve? Mine is leaking and I'd like to find brushed nickel, single handle. Nice one. Not cheap plastic. I have limited room behind the shower (accessed from behind mirror in cabinet that backs up to shower).

When this coach was built, Monaco must have backed up the silicone truck on my coach to seal this valve in. Holly cow!

I looked on line at Lowes.com. Nice Moen one but it says not for mobile home or RV use. Not sure why. I'm thinking maybe a pressure issue, Anyone install these and it works?????

Not sure what brand Monaco used when they built this coach. There are several RV shower valves on line but I'm not familiar with the brand names. If I go that route, I want a good one. I hate the cheap plastic ones I've seen sometimes.
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2017, 12:49 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi
Go on Amazon -Search -RV SHOWER FAUCET.
there are plenty of nice ones on there.
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:10 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco installed a Moen shower valve in my Signature. It is a satin nickel single handle posi-temp model.

I use the onboard water pump all of the time. I installed a valve on the shower for dry camping. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #4

When I replaced ours I took the old one to a plumbing supply
and matched it up .
Monaco had installed a foreign made but a Delta matched as
far as the pipe location .
The supply store sold their products different than the box stores ,
they sold the valve assy then you select what trim you want to use with
that valve .
I don't want to scare you and yours may be easy but on my
03 Windsor PST replacing that valve was the hardest thing I've
done on it yet on my coach .
So get a good one if you decide to replace it , the posi temp that
hypoxia mentioned sounds like a great idea .

BTW have you tried to repair it ? Some of them can be repaired
by removing the handle and then the inside portion of the valve
you could upgrade the trim at that time .

Ray 03 Windsor
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
When I replaced ours I took the old one to a plumbing supply
and matched it up .
Monaco had installed a foreign made but a Delta matched as
far as the pipe location .
The supply store sold their products different than the box stores ,
they sold the valve assy then you select what trim you want to use with
that valve .
I don't want to scare you and yours may be easy but on my
03 Windsor PST replacing that valve was the hardest thing I've
done on it yet on my coach .
So get a good one if you decide to replace it , the posi temp that
hypoxia mentioned sounds like a great idea .

BTW have you tried to repair it ? Some of them can be repaired
by removing the handle and then the inside portion of the valve
you could upgrade the trim at that time .

Ray 03 Windsor

You're right about the hardest project to date. It was leaking and I was/am VERY concerned about water damage inside wall/under shower pan. I've taken the furnace out, the water heater out and have fans running to dry everything out. I think I caught it early enough. No plywood saturation, no mildew. Dodged that bullet.

Now to put things back together. I have the valve body removed and I'm going to rig up something to pressure test it and see where the thing is leaking from. I know the piping is NOT leaking in the walls because after I took valve out, I rigged up some fitting to connect the pipe. Left it under pressure for several hours without a single drip.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:02 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
Monaco installed a Moen shower valve in my Signature. It is a satin nickel single handle posi-temp model.

I use the onboard water pump all of the time. I installed a valve on the shower for dry camping. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The Moen posi temp is exactly what I would like to put in. Easy to get replacement cartridges and pretty much bullet proof.

My biggest concern is Moen's literature says don't use it in mobile homes or RV's. I've got to research why.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #7

I changed the shower valve in my 07 Neptune a few months ago. Mine was probably more difficult than yours. Mine had the cheap 2 handle faucet that sits on the outside of the enclosure. Not the regular household shower valve used in homes. Mine was stainless looking but was just a cheap camper plastic POS. It was a leak waiting to happen.

I swapped out for a delta with scald guard home valve. I didn't even think to take pics. You can trim the hole in the enclosure bigger for access if you need it. Just don't get near the size of the trim ring. Hardest part was measuring and mounting the valve solidly and getting it centered and at correct depth. So much nicer now without 2 handles. The DW loves it as well.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:04 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
I'm just replacing mine now. I'm replacing the cheap plastic two handle valve with another cheap plastic two handle valve. It matches the rest of the valves in the coach. Doesn't seem that hard, but I'm not done yet.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #9

I got pretty much what your looking for on Amazon. Simple inatall.
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:38 AM   #10

I have a Moen in my Beaver and it works flawlessly and has for 16 years so I don't see a problem using one for yours
jowmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a Moen Adler brushed nickel shower valve in mine about 3 years ago. Works great. No idea why Moen would say it is not suitable. BTW, had to use the one for shower/tub because needed to have port on the bottom to hook up to the shower fitting.
Roy
Old 07-19-2017, 03:29 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Anybody replace their shower valve? Mine is leaking and I'd like to find brushed nickel, single handle. Nice one. Not cheap plastic. I have limited room behind the shower (accessed from behind mirror in cabinet that backs up to shower).

When this coach was built, Monaco must have backed up the silicone truck on my coach to seal this valve in. Holly cow!

I looked on line at Lowes.com. Nice Moen one but it says not for mobile home or RV use. Not sure why. I'm thinking maybe a pressure issue, Anyone install these and it works?????

Not sure what brand Monaco used when they built this coach. There are several RV shower valves on line but I'm not familiar with the brand names. If I go that route, I want a good one. I hate the cheap plastic ones I've seen sometimes.
Bill,

We purchased the Moen Adler at Lowes and installed it in our shower many years ago. It has been wonderful. Have no idea why Moen would say not to install in an RV or Mobile Home unless it is some sort of "cover their ass" and legal stuff.

You can see all my photos here:
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=13681

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcb View Post
BTW, had to use the one for shower/tub because needed to have port on the bottom to hook up to the shower
fitting
Old 07-19-2017, 08:13 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Bill,

We purchased the Moen Adler at Lowes and installed it in our shower many years ago. It has been wonderful. Have no idea why Moen would say not to install in an RV or Mobile Home unless it is some sort of "cover their ass" and legal stuff.

You can see all my photos here:
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=13681

Bob
here's an update, for what it's worth. turns out, Monaco did use Moen's back in 2005-06 when my coach was built. Brass construction, good quality. That particular valve portion (not the trim), is not as deep as the Moens are now. A new Moen valve now just won't fit in the tight spot behind my shower without major remodel. Exterior wall and dining room cabinet.

I took the old valve out and rigged up some fittings in the shop to see where it was leaking. Turns out, the plastic 90 degree coming out of the brass valve was defective from day 1 and finally (11 years), started to leak. I replaced that 50 cent piece (now $1.99), actually did both sides, and put it back together. It's been under pressure for 18 hours now and pump has not cycled once.

I have a furnace and the water heater right under the valve. I took those both out to check for any permanent water damage. I caught the leak early enough and zero visible damage-not even water stains. I've been running fans on it just to be sure.

Now on to the next project.

Tags
shower