RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Sick 2004 Holiday Rambler Eneavor on the 12 volt side.

Dear Gentle People, I need Your help. I am having trouble on the 12 volt side of the Motor Home. It started when I went in side and to check the voltage reading on the monitor on the panel where all the switches are. I usually get 13.4 on both House batteries and chassis batteries. Well I didn't and I stupid Me went and bought 4 new 6 volt low voltage batteries, and put in motor home and connected them, just like the ones, I took out. Oh! if forgot to mention, I did find the cut off switch on the wall coming apart and that is when everything started to happen. No reading on the wall panel inside of couch that the batteries are charging. I have taken a reading on the lead that is coming from the converter/inverter, and it reads 13.56. where it connects to the batteries, it reads also 13.56. The big nut where all the wire that goes out into the MH reads 13.56. Well I can't get the Gen. to start, just like the batteries are dead.
I am stumped. Where do I go from Here and I need any suggestions from any of You great Rv's.

Phil Palmer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #2

Take some pictures of the batteries and cables and post them.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
2004 endeavor with 12 volt problems.

How do You post a picture on the form?
Old 10-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
how do You post pictures on forum?
Old 10-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #5

I also have an 04 Endevour... I thought my generator started from the chassis batteries.. Which I keep on a tender as they are not charged from shore power.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:44 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
HR2004 the house batteries start the Gen. I have a real sick baby, that's what My Wife said, and all the 12 volt in the couch is not working. I do have over head lights, but nothing else works in the MH. Still looking.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:42 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Palmer View Post
Oh! if forgot to mention, I did find the cut off switch on the wall coming apart and that is when everything started to happen.
The simplest method to find the problem(s) is to shut off any charging sources, then use a voltmeter, starting at the batteries, and move from there across each piece of wire and equipment, until you find where the voltage drops or is intermittent. Shake, push, pull, twist each wire to make sure it's well-connected.

The reason for shutting off the charging sources is because they can mislead you about the battery health and charge level. No shore power, no inverter power, no solar power, no generator. While you are at it, shut off the chassis battery bank using its switch, too. Once your testing is done, turn them back on, per your normal practice.

What's up with the switch that is/was "coming apart." Did you test across the switch? Did you repair or replace it?

Any break in the 12V chain from the batteries to the loads is like a water pipe with a hole on it- no pressure, no flow beyond the break.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The cut off switch had been a loose on the fire wall, because the screws that held it there had gotten loose, and it was just hanging with the two cables, that went to the inverter and the one cable that went to the batteries. I feel like it just came apart from all the banging around on the fire wall. I may be wrong, but it put another switch and replaced it. I am going to do what You suggested later this afternoon after I get back from the Dr's. Thanks for Your response, and when I have found the bad wire, I will give You a up date. Phil
Old 10-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
update, I went out with My Fluke meter and turn the power off of the inverter and checked the voltage, black prob on the neg. post of house batteries and the red prob. on the red wire that goes out into the coach. The meter read 13.10 and I know now that the batteries are fully charged. Tomorrow I am with the help of a friend, start checking the wires that go under the MH. I will keep You Gentle people in the loop. Thanks for Your help. Phil
Old 10-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR2004 View Post
I also have an 04 Endevour... I thought my generator started from the chassis batteries.. Which I keep on a tender as they are not charged from shore power.
If your generator starts and runs off the chassis batteries and your house system doesn't charge the chassis battery, the chassis battery will die from the power the generator needs.

That's unless you have a charging system on the generator. Most don't.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:01 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Twin boat My Gen. want crank, because it isn't get enough volts to turn it over. When You try to crank it, the starter on clicks, and You can hear a noise back in the back part of the coach. I am going to check the big relay in the left side elect. comp. and see if the Big boy I think that is what that big relay is called not doing what it is supposed to. I also don't have any lights on the panel back in the MH. I will keep You in the loop. thanks.
Phil
Old 10-15-2019, 07:47 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Palmer View Post
The meter read 13.10 and I know now that the batteries are fully charged.
Hmm... not sure I agree. But, I'm no expert.

I would expect a voltage of 12.6 or so for a charged battery bank at rest. A measured voltage of 13.1 implies (to me) that there is still a charging source at the measurement point.

And, the inability to start the generator implies the starting batteries are not charged.

If I were you, I'd disconnect the positive and negative cables from the batteries and measure the voltage directly at the posts, as a first step.

But, I'm not you, and I'm no expert, as I said.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #13

Look above the batteries and you might see a clear plastic cover with a big fuse in it, test to see if its not blown , thats what was wrong with mine a few yrs back ,thinking its like a 60 amp barrel fuse !
swampdog2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:26 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Swampdog 2 I am going out to try and slide under MH and trace some wires. Thanks for that input. I checked Mine and it is good. I will give You a up date if I find anything.
Thanks. Phil

Tags
12 volt, holiday rambler