Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2016, 01:57 PM   #1

Signature owners need advice

Hello, need advice, wondering if I can get some other signature owners to comment . I posted earlier on-my situation trying to decide between 06' signature Commander 1V 45 and an 07 essex. The signature I'm looking at is closer to my location and a little less money . It is absolutely immaculate, the owner has kept it under cover it's whole life, he's kept the furniture and the floors and everything covered, honestly I've never seen a coach so clean. It has around 30,000 miles with the 600 Isx. I'm just apprehensive about the age of the signature and the complexity of the systems. I am still working, we just plan on using the coach for occasional trips camping etc. we want something we can crawl in and go without alot of maintence. I know I know they all need maintence now and again, but I'm wondering if Signature is going to be more of a labor of love given the complexity and age . The other thing I'm wondering about is resell value. It sure seems like the guys that are trying to sell their signatures are having a pretty tough time & demand seems low. I suspect we will keep and enjoy the coach but but if we don't I would like to be able to get rid of it . Thanks guys
Josh4147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2016, 03:51 AM   #2

Tried sending you a PM but you are not set up to do it. Email me at mike.c@mindspring.com. Got lots of info.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #3

I wrote you also, but I guess you didn't get it. Contact Mike. He has a wealth of knowledge.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The ISX 600 and 650 are known to have reliability problems in RV's. No test or checkover can catch a valve about to break.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:50 AM   #5

Sorry guys I was un aware I needed to do anything special to receive pm's
I will look into it. Appreciate the help
Old 08-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #6

Sorry guys I was un aware I needed to do anything special to receive pm's
I will look into it. Appreciate the help
Old 08-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Josh, we just finished an extensive search to find our next coach. We looked at the Newmar Essex, Monaco Signature, Monaco Executive, Holiday Rambler Navigator, Beaver Marquis, American Eagle, Travel Supreme Select, and Entegra coach. All of these are great coaches and we would have purchased any one of these if the price, floor plan, and condition were right.
The answer to your question is: It depends. Many (maybe most) coach owners do not repair broken items unless absolutely necessary. Most coaches we looked at had so many issues it took multiple pages to list them all. A new coach is delivered with several items that need correcting. Some owners never bother taking it back to get all of these items fixed. A great example was a 2008 Travel Supreme Select that had a fix list 4 pages long! Many of these items were broken since it was new and the previous owner just did not take the time to correct them. When we found a well-cared for coach it was obvious the owner cared for it and repaired issues as they came up as well as improving things. These are rare! Look for the little things like broken Girard wind sensors, battery box maintenance, broken arm rests, ripped slide toppers, remotes and manuals, and service documentation.
What does your wife think? My wife began the search slightly indifferent but slowly became very knowledgeable and could spot things I missed. We looked at a 2007 Signature bath and a half that I really liked and she immediately pointed out to me the kitchen was very small. The kitchen drawers were literally 6” wide!
The other differences are floor plan and how they drive. The Spartan chassis drives slightly different than the Roadmaster. Both are very nice, but there are definite differences.
So the big question is have you driven both?
Remember, you will learn something from every coach you look at so don’t get in a hurry and don’t be afraid to buy an airline ticket to look in a different area. We looked in CA, AZ, TX (multiple times), FL, as well as a few out of the way areas.
Regardless of which coach you purchase, be prepared to spend some time and money correcting issues, updating (TVs) and personalizing your coach.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:24 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forgot to mention to be careful with tires. Learn to check date codes yourself. Replacing tires is going to coast $5k plus. We found several coaches at both dealers and private owners with 10 year old tires (and they were not alarmed). I would not purchase a coach with old tires unless there is some compensation built into the deal.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:28 PM   #9

I'm surprised those in the lower 48 don't look in Canada.
With the dollar difference you can save @ 30%. You just have to do whatever paperwork is required at the customs. Lots of US buyers bringing home diesel pickup trucks these days.
Our coach is advertised in the classified section of this forum.
Good luck in your search,
Iver.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topman View Post
I'm surprised those in the lower 48 don't look in Canada.
With the dollar difference you can save @ 30%. You just have to do whatever paperwork is required at the customs. Lots of US buyers bringing home diesel pickup trucks these days.
Our coach is advertised in the classified section of this forum.
Good luck in your search,
Iver.
Funny you should mention this. I found a beautiful low mileage Monaco Signature in Canada. It was THE ONE and the price was right!
Since I was busy at work, I sent my wife out to look at it. She loved it and took hundreds of pictures. It needed tires, (this is one of the ones that had 10 year old tires). The owner agreed to split the cost of new tires. I had already been approved for a loan so I submitted the VIN number and started finalizing the deal. The bank asked for a copy of the title and things came to a screeching halt! The Canadian seller asked if I meant registration. I said no, the title. My bank needed copies of the title, front and back. Well, Canada does not issue titles, only vehicle registration.

Still no big deal right? It was manufactured in Coberg OR so we'll just import it back to the states. The bank refused to loan on a vehicle without a title. Two big reasons. First, there is no 100% fool proof way to check for liens against it. The owner provided a letter from his bank saying it was paid off. But my bank said what if there is a lien from any another bank. The second issue is my bank wants a lien processed against the title immediately securing their interest. We couldn't do this without a US title.

The only option was to have the Canadian seller process it and title it somewhere in the states, anywhere. I just could not convince him to do this as it's quite involved and can be expensive.

So, if you are interested in a beautiful Monaco Signature Castle IV and paying cash and don't mind the import hassles, send me a PM and I'll hook you up.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:11 PM   #11

Wow! Talk about hassles. Too bad.
In B.C., our Provincial Insurance company(ICBC) will search the registration/title for ANY liens against the vehicle. Cost around 35 bucks.
Here we do this before purchasing any vehicle regardless whether paying cash or financing.
So, I think anyone from the US needs to find a financial institution which is familiar with registering a vehicle from Canada.
Talk about bureaucracy?

As I said before, there are many vehicles being imported into the USA from Canada every day.

Good luck, Iver.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topman View Post
Wow! Talk about hassles. Too bad.
In B.C., our Provincial Insurance company(ICBC) will search the registration/title for ANY liens against the vehicle. Cost around 35 bucks.
Here we do this before purchasing any vehicle regardless whether paying cash or financing.
So, I think anyone from the US needs to find a financial institution which is familiar with registering a vehicle from Canada.
Talk about bureaucracy?

As I said before, there are many vehicles being imported into the USA from Canada every day.

Good luck, Iver.
The last Canadian titled vehicle that I purchased from someone in Canada and brought back to the U.S. was originally built in the States, there were no issues at all being that the country of origin was the U.S. and it was coming back into the U.S.

Built outside of the States and coming into the states? that is a different story.

As far as Liens go?

I recently watched a documentary on big money scams of high dollar vehicles here in the states and one of the things that I was not aware of here is that if you have the legal paper title in your hand and it's with no liens identified on that title...no one is getting your car ....even if it's stolen and sold as was in this case I watched and it would have to be pursued further in civil court as was the case I watched, they did not even take the 100k Porsche from the title holder even after the court case.

That's my $.02 and probably not eve worth that.

Tags
advice

« LEAKS!! | Direct TV »