RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2019, 01:15 AM   #1
Ali

Monaco Owners Club
Silverleaf oil pressure on ISC330

Hello Everyone

I was going to post this under Cummins engine forum but I thought I should try my luck here first.

We have a Silverleaf setup on our 2000 Windsor which always reports a steady 103 PSI oil pressure, while the dash gauge displays the correct pressure, moving up and down with engine rpm. The rest of the readings on the Silverleaf are working, it's only the oil pressure where I am having this problem.

With an ISC manufactured in 1999, dash oil pressure gauge might be an analog device with a small oil line coming all the way from the engine (scary thought), and there might also be an oil pressure sensor for the engine computer -which is where Silverleaf is getting its data.

Any thoughts/suggestions on how to troubleshoot the steady oil pressure reading issue on the Silverleaf?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	abc.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	269583  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2019, 01:32 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Location: Alaska and Texas 2006 Alpine 40' 4 slides Cummins 400hp
Probably a wire running to a typical electronic sending unit on the engine. I kind of doubt it is the capillary tube type. You'll know if you can get to the backside of it. Likely difficult and could knock something else askew. The little telescopic cameras are handy but near impossible to track down something. Sometimes hard to determine what exactly your looking at.

GwinsLodgeAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:11 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Has it done this since you installed the Silverleaf, and what does the Silverleaf oil pressure show when the engine is off?

It may be that the sender is question is simply a switch that either reads 'pressure' or 'no-pressure'.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Silverleaf and Aladdin are both typically tied into the ECM pressure sender and it is a "Go/No go" sending unit mine reads 55 psi all the time. There is a separate sender for the dash gauge and it will reflect actual pressure. You most certainly have an electric gauge. There should be an access panel for the dash gauges on the top of the dash pad.
https://enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I had just the opposite problem. When I first bought my coach in 2008 the dash oil pressure gauge was reading extremely high. I took it to Cummins for a complete inspection and service and asked them to look at the oil pressure as part of the work. When they got done they told me that the oil pressure was reading from the wrong port, they moved it but the gauge was ruined, it still shows high oil pressure but it does move.
When I installed the Silverleaf system it was reading the correct pressure, usually ~60 psi cold (from memory) and then drops some when it gets warm. At idle it will usually be 20-25psi.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Monaco installs a separate VDO oil pressure sensor, part number VDO 360 023. They are very reasonable on eBay. This is a dual output sensor used on everything from dune buggies to motor homes.
One output is used for the red dash warning light, and the other is used for the oil pressure gauge. Our oil pressure sensor is located on the passenger side of the engine in front of the starter (this is different than the sensor used for the engine ECU).

I changed our sensor and it fixed the dash oil pressure gauge issue.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #7
Ali

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you All.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I changed our sensor and it fixed the dash oil pressure gauge issue.
Thanks Vito, this is music to my ears I will check the engine for the oil pressure sensor this weekend see if I can locate it. I will take a few pics and share before I proceed to order the VDO sensor
Old 12-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I seem to recall there being an issue with some ISCs and Oil pressure on VMSpc..

Here's a couple of links

https://www.silverleafelectronics.co...cs.com/node/90
https://www.countrycoachforums.com/i...?topic=11162.0
Old 12-17-2019, 11:47 PM   #9
Ali

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwinsLodgeAK View Post
Probably a wire running to a typical electronic sending unit on the engine. I kind of doubt it is the capillary tube type. You'll know if you can get to the backside of it.
You are correct, GwinsLodgeAK, I found some old pics of the dash front and back, and as far as I can see, there is no capillary tube for the oil pressure, just wires.

(Gwin's Lodge and Roadhouse looks awesome by the way)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	269759   Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	269760  

Old 12-18-2019, 09:34 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I had a low pressure light a couple years ago. It was the sender. Cummins replaced the sender with a switch. They said it was a known problem.
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I've been in contact with another Monaco owner who had a problem where his coach was derating and engine warning lights started to come on.

He ultimately took his rig to a Frieghtliner shop and they diagnosed the problem to a bad Oil Sending unit. They ultimately replaced with a switch (on/off), a 1 wire unit that required a new wiring harness connection and reprogramming of the ECM.

The new part number is 4076930 and harness 3164755. parts and labor for above including diagnostic and reprogramming was ~$500, not bad considering.

My coach uses 3408429 based on Cummins Quickserve side.

I like to see the graduated oil pressure reading on my Silverleaf so would still with the original configuration if possible.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote